Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Expedited screening with TSA Pre✓™ on Air Canada flights

Expedited screening with TSA Pre✓™ on Air Canada flights

Old Jul 23, 19, 9:27 am

Programs: Aeroplan
I’ve had a lot of issues with KTNs not being properly transferred even if the box appears and I fill it out
seawolf likes this.
Old Jul 23, 19, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
I can't remember the last time I filled out APIS.
flyquiet likes this.
Old Jul 23, 19, 11:46 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Gold Elite, IHG Gold
I've never filled out APIS. 90% of the time I get precheck on my BP. The other 10% of the time I'm in autopilot (and completely stupid) and use my passport number instead of Nexus and then have to go to the counter to get it fixed.

Point is, if I do what I'M supposed to do correctly, it works for me every time.
Old Jul 23, 19, 6:48 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Elite/Ambassador. NEXUS, National
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope View Post

Point is, if I do what I'M supposed to do correctly, it works for me every time.
Where "every" means 60%?
Old Jul 23, 19, 7:06 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Gold Elite, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by RangerNS View Post
Where "every" means 60%?

Strikes me as a Yogi Berra-ism.
Old Jul 23, 19, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RangerNS View Post
Where "every" means 60%?
I get it every time I perform my own check-in. If a concierge does it, that changes things.
Old Jul 28, 19, 2:45 pm

Programs: AC*E50 (*A Gold), Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by SteadyAT View Post
I usually fill in the KTN when filling out the Advanced Passenger Info (API), and this always transfers over to OLCI thru mobile / app. Pre-check then shows on the BP. Aren't we supposed to complete the API 48 hours before TB travel? (I'm not sure as I usually fill it out right away otherwise I'd forget.)
This is exactly what I do (and for exactly the same reason) and have had a 100% success rate with PreCheck when I expect to have it.
Old Jul 28, 19, 4:13 pm

Programs: *A, ST, OZ, DL, BA, AS, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Anyone here able to keep laptop in bag with TSA-Pre? Someone told me that he doesn't have to take out his laptop if he have TSA-Pre on his boarding pass. Yet, my experience have been much different. Every time I go through security, despite having TSA-Pre on my boarding pass, I have to take out my iPad or laptop from my bag. Security told me that TSA-Pre doesn't give me the right to keep them in the bag.
Old Jul 28, 19, 4:28 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
I've been through TSA-Pre plenty of times with my laptop in its bag. They even hustle people along who try to take them out.

YMMV I guess.
Old Jul 28, 19, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemian1 View Post
I've been through TSA-Pre plenty of times with my laptop in its bag. They even hustle people along who try to take them out.

YMMV I guess.
Man, that's crazy. It's funny that you even mention YMMV, because I've had nothing but bad luck with security. I think I've flown 40-50 times over the past 2.5 years since I got my Nexus pass and each time I'm at security and ask, they said no, I have to take out my laptop/iPad. I'm at the point where I just don't bring a laptop/iPad unless I absolutely need to use it during the trip. Just as a FYI, my last flight was to LAX last week and security at YVR and LAX said I have to take out my iPad.
Old Jul 28, 19, 4:38 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
Anyone here able to keep laptop in bag with TSA-Pre? Someone told me that he doesn't have to take out his laptop if he have TSA-Pre on his boarding pass. Yet, my experience have been much different. Every time I go through security, despite having TSA-Pre on my boarding pass, I have to take out my iPad or laptop from my bag. Security told me that TSA-Pre doesn't give me the right to keep them in the bag.

Pre TSA, A lot better than CATSA ....LAPTOP, PHONE, SHOES, HAT all stay on, walk through the metal detector and walk on...... sweet system

CATSA....laptop out, liquids out, shoes off, hat off, yap, yap, yap!

Yesterday YYC-YYZ traveling with me kid, he had two 100mm cans of that body spray that young people like to use as it attracts other young people??? Anyways CATSA says you can only take 100ml, not allowed more than 100 Ml, I step up and said I take the other one......Is it yours sir....now it is, we are all safe again I said....stupid, stupid rules!
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 28, 19, 4:40 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Protocols do change, sometimes with no apparent rhyme or reason.

Take the Nexus lane at YVR TB for example - sometimes it's just like TSA-Pre, other times is not much better than the lines for the hoi polloi.

Phase of the moon maybe?
Old Jul 28, 19, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by HerpaYvr View Post
Pre TSA, A lot better than CATSA ....LAPTOP, PHONE, SHOES, HAT all stay on, walk through the metal detector and walk on...... sweet system

CATSA....laptop out, liquids out, shoes off, hat off, yap, yap, yap!

Yesterday YYC-YYZ traveling with me kid, he had two 100mm cans of that body spray that young people like to use as it attracts other young people??? Anyways CATSA says you can only take 150ml, not allowed more than 100 Ml, I step up and said I take the other one......Is it yours sir....now it is, we are all safe again I said....stupid, stupid rules!
That is really dumb and I would do exactly what you would do.

With regards to the iPad and laptop thing, it wasn't even that long ago that they were not required to be removed from the bag. I mainly got the Nexus card to quickly get through security and from what I heard that I can keep laptop/iPad in bag, but no such luck for me. I rather not argue as it'll just slow things down. From experience, it's rare that I'll ever win an argument with those type of people.
Old Jul 28, 19, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemian1 View Post
Protocols do change, sometimes with no apparent rhyme or reason.

Take the Nexus lane at YVR TB for example - sometimes it's just like TSA-Pre, other times is not much better than the lines for the hoi polloi.

Phase of the moon maybe?
At least you've had some success. I've had none. I wish the agencies can be more consistent about the rules. I'm flying to New York very soon and I'll be bringing my laptop with me. I'm going to ask security, but based on my previous experiences, I expect security to tell me to take out my laptop.
Old Jul 28, 19, 4:57 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred, Nexus/GE
In the past month, I have flown from YYZ to both BWI & IAD on separate occasions, in YYZ, shoes were on but laptop was out and both times they selected the laptop , swabbed it, looked at (as they had any idea what they are looking at) and I was good.

Both out of BWI & IAD, pre TSA, I kept my laptop in and no issues. - DID OSS to avoid the CATSA Gong Show

Search this Thread