Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Expedited screening with TSA Pre✓™ on Air Canada flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Expedited screening with TSA Pre✓™ on Air Canada flights

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2017, 5:16 am

Programs: AC50k, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Club
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
I've been around here long enough to know that someone's done exactly what I'd first thought, "because of the principle of it all"!)
Yep.........
Old Feb 15, 2017, 9:13 pm

Programs: QFF P1, VA P, HH D, Marriott G, SPG G
Another question for the AC Experts

Hi,
I came across an article on the web thatindicated that Pre Check for travel back to the US had been approved for YQB in2017. If this up and running at present or is it still getting established, I can not find any further update online.

Thanks
Old Feb 15, 2017, 9:54 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I think you're confusing two different programs.

TSA Pre✓ is a program providing expedited security screening at certain airports. It's not available anywhere in Canada.

US Customs operates pre-clearance facilities at several Canadian airports, allowing Canadian travellers to clear customs here in Canada and arrive in the US as if they were on a domestic flight.

Quebec City is getting the latter. I don't know whether it's up and running or not. Seeing as how the US Congress only appropriated funds in December (according to this press release from YQB), I'm going to guess not, but someone who's YQB-based will correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 9:54 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Can you link the article?
Are you confusing Precheck with Preclearance? There is no Precheck within Canada. Precheck is a TSA service. Within Canada (including departing Canada), we do not have TSA. We have CATSA.
Eligible Air Canada passengers departing USA are eligible to get Precheck (streamlined security procedures), but not departing Canada, for the reason mentioned above.
However, there appears to be a plan to expand Preclearance, which is Customs and Border Protection (CBP) procedures prior to departing Canada. On arrival, therefore, the passengers are treated as domestic arrivals and can grab their checked bags and go.

(Jinx Adam Smith.)
Old Feb 16, 2017, 12:42 am

Programs: QFF P1, VA P, HH D, Marriott G, SPG G
I realise that there were 2 programs, but I have my language wrong. It is the pre-clearance I am enquiring about as I am flying back to JFK. As an Australian I do not qualify for TSA pre, we are not on the list, I had already looked into that one as I am flying internal USA a few times. Thanks
Old Feb 16, 2017, 6:35 am

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Diamond, VIA Premier, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by Matt_01
Hi,
I came across an article on the web thatindicated that Pre Check for travel back to the US had been approved for YQB in2017. If this up and running at present or is it still getting established, I can not find any further update online.

Thanks
As other have mentioned, YQB will get US preclearance. However it is not yet up and running. The new airport terminal is still under construction. The building is now completely closed (December 2016) and all works are currently done inside. Although not impossible, I doubt it will be completed and running this year. Or if it does open in 2017, it will be late in the year. My best bet would be 2018 but you never know!
Old Mar 20, 2017, 11:11 pm

Air Canada - Toronto - TSA pre check ?

I searched for an answer but found only that Air Canada participates in the TSA Precheck program and that passengers leaving the United States can use Pre check if they are flying Air Canada.

I am trying to determine if Air Canada in Toronto has a Pre check line.

I will be arriving in Toronto from an Air Canada international flight and will connect in Toronto to another Air Canada flight going to the United States.

I have Global Entry and Pre check -

Although other threads discuss that Air Canada now has TSA Pre check for Air Canada flights leaving the United States, I cannot find anything that discusses a connecting flight in Toronto having TSA Pre check available.

Has anyone here experienced a connection in Toronto on Air Canada and was able to use the TSA Pre check?

Thanks much -
Old Mar 20, 2017, 11:13 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
No PreCheck lanes in Canadian airports
Old Mar 20, 2017, 11:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
There is no TSA Pre Check in Canada.

You clear U.S. customs in YYZ.

Also, you will be a connecting passenger. You might find this link from Air Canada helpful

"Connecting through Toronto Pearson – From an International Flight to the U.S."

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...rt/int-us.html

EDIT to include image as it may be helpful for others when searching

Attached Images  

Last edited by 24left; Mar 20, 2017 at 11:25 pm
Old Mar 20, 2017, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
There is no TSA Pre Check in Canada.

You clear U.S. customs in YYZ.

Also, you will be a connecting passenger. You might find this link from Air Canada helpful

"Connecting through Toronto Pearson – From an International Flight to the U.S."

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...rt/int-us.html

Thank you both very much.

Now I understand why I could not find any threads or data for TSA Pre check in Toronto - there isn't any.

Air Canada and TSA make quite a show about having TSA Pre check available for Air Canada passengers. Part of their discussion states that Air Canada is the first foreign airline to join TSA Pre check. That is great for Air Canada passengers departing from the United States.

I find it odd that there is no TSA Pre check in Toronto despite the fact that United States CBP is located there for persons entering the United States.

One more question, please. Considering that there is no TSA Pre check in Toronto, are the lines to clear security long? A couple of years ago I was on an Air Canada flight originating in Canada. When I left Canada to return to the United States, I had to spend nearly one and one-half hours to clear security because of the long and slow lines. Has the process in Toronto for clearing security become efficient and without (generally) long lines?

Thanks again.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 11:50 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Does United Airlines say on its website that they don't offer Pre Check in Chile, Australia, Germany or any other country that isn't the United States? It's the case for every international airline that Pre Check, which is a US TSA program not an airline program, is not available when departing to the US from a foreign country. They don't have signs at McDonald's in New Zealand saying they don't take US dollars, because it's New Zealand. Of course they don't.
​​​

Last edited by eigenvector; Mar 20, 2017 at 11:55 pm
Old Mar 21, 2017, 12:19 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
Thank you both very much.

Now I understand why I could not find any threads or data for TSA Pre check in Toronto - there isn't any.

Air Canada and TSA make quite a show about having TSA Pre check available for Air Canada passengers. Part of their discussion states that Air Canada is the first foreign airline to join TSA Pre check. That is great for Air Canada passengers departing from the United States.

I find it odd that there is no TSA Pre check in Toronto despite the fact that United States CBP is located there for persons entering the United States.

One more question, please. Considering that there is no TSA Pre check in Toronto, are the lines to clear security long? A couple of years ago I was on an Air Canada flight originating in Canada. When I left Canada to return to the United States, I had to spend nearly one and one-half hours to clear security because of the long and slow lines. Has the process in Toronto for clearing security become efficient and without (generally) long lines?

Thanks again.

As we mentioned, TSA is a program specifically for the U.S.
Canada has the CATSA security screeners and then there is U.S. CBP.
CBP and security are not the same thing.

I go through frequently and as you can see, I have GE/Nexus. I don't know what it's like as a transit/connecting pax, but I know coming from the outside, there is a separate row and a large number of GE kiosks, just as you'd see them entering the U.S. in LAX, SFO etc.

There is also the very long and large regular line for those who do not have GE. The crowds can vary depending on the day of the week and the time of day and the volume of flights and of course, holiday travel season.

It was morning rush hour the other week when I went through. The security lines moved but there are still people in the "priority" lane who despite having the approved documentation, clearly have no idea how to travel and get themselves ready to move quickly in this line.

U.S. CBP is well structured at YYZ and I was though there in minutes.

Finally, you are connecting and I personally have no idea what that process is like. Others here might so perhaps they can reply.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by eigenvector
Does United Airlines say on its website that they don't offer Pre Check in Chile, Australia, Germany or any other country that isn't the United States? It's the case for every international airline that Pre Check, which is a US TSA program not an airline program, is not available when departing to the US from a foreign country. They don't have signs at McDonald's in New Zealand saying they don't take US dollars, because it's New Zealand. Of course they don't.
​​​
I am not sure I understand your post or whether it is intended to be helpful. I was looking for information and I am sorry if I am missing your humor.

No, United doesn't offer Pre check in Chile, Australia, Germany or any other country that you chose to list.

I would not expect those countries to have Pre check because there are no United States CBP facilities or Global Entry in those countries as there is in Canada.

I offer the same analogous response to your suggestion about McDonald's in New Zealand.

I really appreciate the first two posters for their helpful information that answered my question.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by 24left
As we mentioned, TSA is a program specifically for the U.S.
Canada has the CATSA security screeners and then there is U.S. CBP.
CBP and security are not the same thing.

I go through frequently and as you can see, I have GE/Nexus. I don't know what it's like as a transit/connecting pax, but I know coming from the outside, there is a separate row and a large number of GE kiosks, just as you'd see them entering the U.S. in LAX, SFO etc.

There is also the very long and large regular line for those who do not have GE. The crowds can vary depending on the day of the week and the time of day and the volume of flights and of course, holiday travel season.

It was morning rush hour the other week when I went through. The security lines moved but there are still people in the "priority" lane who despite having the approved documentation, clearly have no idea how to travel and get themselves ready to move quickly in this line.

U.S. CBP is well structured at YYZ and I was though there in minutes.

Finally, you are connecting and I personally have no idea what that process is like. Others here might so perhaps they can reply.
You have been very helpful. I learned a lot with the information you provided.

Now I can be prepared for a possible delay when I go through Toronto.

In the U.S., I got spoiled with TSA Pre check. I well remember my experience two years ago in Canada when I spent so much time going through security. With luck, that won't happen again.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 2:30 am

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
I am not sure I understand your post or whether it is intended to be helpful. I was looking for information and I am sorry if I am missing your humor.

No, United doesn't offer Pre check in Chile, Australia, Germany or any other country that you chose to list.

I would not expect those countries to have Pre check because there are no United States CBP facilities or Global Entry in those countries as there is in Canada.

I offer the same analogous response to your suggestion about McDonald's in New Zealand.

I really appreciate the first two posters for their helpful information that answered my question.
I think you are confusing CBP with security screening. The CBP is responsible for immigration and border controls, while the TSA is responsible for security screening. Your membership in the trusted traveler's program entitles you to expedited screening service that is offered by the TSA where available. And since the TSA has no jurisdiction in Canada, they cannot offer you TSA Pre Check where they are not present. Security screening at Canadian airports are run by CATSA, regardless of whether you are in the US pre-clearance facility or not. CATSA does offer expedited screening for members of the NEXUS program, but this is different than TSA Pre.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.