Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Expedited screening with TSA Pre✓™ on Air Canada flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Expedited screening with TSA Pre✓™ on Air Canada flights

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2014, 3:10 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*Gold), DL, CZ
I fly there 2-3 times a year. Before Pre-Check, I'd be there hours early, as I often return a rental car to Avis off-site.

It's just an uncomfortable, claustrophobic feeling I get when in LAX's T2, especially when you reach the top of the stairs to find the security line-up zig-zagging back at an angle. But what can you do? I understand that T2 only has a finite amount of space with which to work.

Originally Posted by 24left
Agree with you on the kiosks. It's silly having to wait for a BP when I don't even have a bag to check.

While there is one agent in the priority line, I found that depending on which agents were working the regular line, they would take a person from priority first. Happened a couple of times.

Not sure how often you fly there, but T2 LAX is being renovated - in stages - and that has just added to the challenges of the lines, the security and BPs. I now add some extra time as a result.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 3:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by ABG
AFAIK there is no requirement to remove shoes for a Canadian domestic flight

There may not be a requirement, but ALL of us in the NEXUS line at YVR DOMESTIC were forced to do so Mon Oct 27. I and others asked the CATSA guy and he cheerfully responded That's the way it is". Bewildered faces among the group of us. Idiotic random rules.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 3:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by yqtyyz
I fly there 2-3 times a year. Before Pre-Check, I'd be there hours early, as I often return a rental car to Avis off-site.

It's just an uncomfortable, claustrophobic feeling I get when in LAX's T2, especially when you reach the top of the stairs to find the security line-up zig-zagging back at an angle. But what can you do? I understand that T2 only has a finite amount of space with which to work.

yqtyyz
That terminal is one of the oldest there, dark, dingy and well, ugh.
The good news is, the fine folks at LAX know this and are starting renos on a coupe of the older ones.

But, given that it took me less than 2 minutes from the bottom of the escalator, through the NEXUS/TSA SuperSpeedy line, past the bag scan, it's all good and hopefully will get better

Here's a PDF of the redevelopment plans, including T2. Notice the photos of the ticket counters, baggage claim and atrium.

http://www.lawa.org/uploadedFiles/LA...ril%202014.pdf

Last edited by 24left; Nov 4, 2014 at 3:47 pm
Old Nov 4, 2014, 6:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I've never received Pre on a AC boarding pass without agent intervention - in essence they either need to manually ensure your Nexus/GE number is in the record and uncheck-recheck you, or if it's in there, manually reprint the boarding pass.

I've had a few agents confirm with me that it's a bug in the system.
I've never had a problem getting Pre✓ on my boarding passes since they started doing this. I put my PASS ID in at time of booking, I put it in APIS, and I check in with it. Works flawlessly. I'm not sure which of those three are required though.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 7:34 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*Gold), DL, CZ
Thanks, 24left.

Now if only more airlines could fly into under-served ONT (or increase their frequencies), I'd be happy to avoid LAX altogether.

Originally Posted by 24left
yqtyyz
That terminal is one of the oldest there, dark, dingy and well, ugh.
The good news is, the fine folks at LAX know this and are starting renos on a coupe of the older ones.

But, given that it took me less than 2 minutes from the bottom of the escalator, through the NEXUS/TSA SuperSpeedy line, past the bag scan, it's all good and hopefully will get better

Here's a PDF of the redevelopment plans, including T2. Notice the photos of the ticket counters, baggage claim and atrium.

http://www.lawa.org/uploadedFiles/LA...ril%202014.pdf
Old Nov 4, 2014, 11:49 pm

Programs: AC*SE
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I've never had a problem getting Pre✓ on my boarding passes since they started doing this. I put my PASS ID in at time of booking, I put it in APIS, and I check in with it. Works flawlessly. I'm not sure which of those three are required though.
Also never had a problem getting it on my boarding pass. TSA Pre is only based off the "Known Traveler Number" on the PNR. It's almost always collected at booking time. Some airlines (like UA) support online adding/editing/removing post-booking, some don't (like AC; you'd have to call in).

APIS is completely separate. It's used for immigration and is the data that the gate agent will verify matches your physical ID. (There was a problem awhile back where APIS on AC wouldn't accept the PASS ID or entering the PASS ID would make you ineligible for OLCI. Since then, I simply *never* complete APIS for AC bookings I wait until OLCI and provide my PASS ID there, again, which is just for immigration purposes AFAIK.)

As to why AC's boarding passes are no longer scanning at security checkpoints at SFO: the TSA likely rotated the key used to sign the barcode. There's a signature appended to the IATA-standardized barcode that is basically used to prevent tampering with that data. That's why there's not even a "beep" (be it 1 or 3) when the boarding pass is attempted to be read.

Last edited by sinalet; Nov 4, 2014 at 11:56 pm
Old Nov 5, 2014, 7:36 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sinalet
As to why AC's boarding passes are no longer scanning at security checkpoints at SFO: the TSA likely rotated the key used to sign the barcode. There's a signature appended to the IATA-standardized barcode that is basically used to prevent tampering with that data. That's why there's not even a "beep" (be it 1 or 3) when the boarding pass is attempted to be read.
TSA didn't change any key. The key used to sign the BP is the AC's private key and the public key distributed to TSA to be pushed to all the scanners.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 10:35 am

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, Avis Preferred Plus
Looks like we may not need to reprint BP at the kiosk/agent soon. Just did OLCI for SEA-YVR-YYZ and my YVR-YYZ BP has a Pre✓ symbol on it and says

"You've been cleared for TSA Pre✓™. To use this service at a participating airport, please proceed to the TSA Pre✓™ lane at the security check-point."

Odd thing is, my SEA-YVR BP doesn't have the symbol and it still gives the old message that I've been cleared and to reprint at the kiosk/agent.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 4:27 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jeffypop75
Looks like we may not need to reprint BP at the kiosk/agent soon. Just did OLCI for SEA-YVR-YYZ and my YVR-YYZ BP has a Pre✓ symbol on it and says

"You've been cleared for TSA Pre✓™. To use this service at a participating airport, please proceed to the TSA Pre✓™ lane at the security check-point."

Odd thing is, my SEA-YVR BP doesn't have the symbol and it still gives the old message that I've been cleared and to reprint at the kiosk/agent.
Looks like AC is in the process of finally implementing it.

When AC implemented PreCheck, they didn't setup the private/public key with TSA, thus PreCheck eligible BPs has to be obtained in the airport as PreCheck BP printed on airline stock does not required "signing." The fact it was printed on airline stock was good enough to mean that it was not tampered with.

In order for OLCI BP to be eligible for PreCheck, they have to be "signed" with AC's private key. The public key is distributed to TSA BP scanners. This signature is then verified by this public key to ensure the barcode have not been tampered with.

This implementation of BP signing might be related to the airport BPs no longer working.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 12:15 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Any updates on whether it works yet? I'm flying out of SFO tonight, and I don't want to walk all the way to T3 when international is inevitably closed, only to find out my BP doesn't scan
Old Nov 7, 2014, 2:18 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
I might be totally off (most likely I am), but I always thought the AC BPs at SFO don't scan because the 2d barcode always print out super blurry for me
Old Nov 7, 2014, 7:41 pm

Programs: AC E50K-MM, IHG Gold, Marriott Plat
I used Pre✓ this morning at SFO G gates with my OLCI boarding pass. My boarding pass was still of the following variety.

"You've been cleared for TSA Pre✓™. To use this service at a participating airport you must reprint your boarding pass at a self-serve kiosk (where available) or see an agent."

I didn't think to pay attention to whether they scanned it. (I've gone through Pre✓ a number of times previously with the OLCI boarding pass at SFO, so I was always confused by the reprint requirement and ignored it since I never saw it enforced).
Old Feb 27, 2015, 8:47 am

Programs: AC E35K
AC Boarding Pass and TSA Pre Check

So, I did the OLCI and it says I was eligible for TSA pre check. I got a message that said you couldn't use an electronic boarding pass, it must be printed. The printed version says nothing about the pre check. Is it supposed to?
Old Feb 27, 2015, 8:52 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
My printed boarding pass always had TSA pre printed on it. However I have also heard that the bar code scan tells the TSA folks if you allowed for TSA pre check. If you do have Nexus/GE, go to the checkin counter and ask them to reprint the boarding pass after entering Pass ID and it should show TSA precheck
Old Feb 27, 2015, 9:32 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Tulips700
So, I did the OLCI and it says I was eligible for TSA pre check. I got a message that said you couldn't use an electronic boarding pass, it must be printed. The printed version says nothing about the pre check. Is it supposed to?
You always need to reprint at the kiosk or agent to get the actual Precheck code on your boarding pass - no idea why.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.