Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Going past 100,000...where to put the miles?

Old Apr 20, 14, 10:02 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AC

I am likely to be past 100k middle of the year and I need to start thinking of where to put the miles after requalifying for SE? I am considering Turkish airlines (with a status match) and United (not sure if there is a status match there).

My flight patterns are Africa and South/Central America for work (almost always booked in economy), and maybe one trip to Europe for vacation. The turkish can help me with Africa, and the United for Latin America, however, I'd be interested in knowing on which one I get the biggest bang for the points i.e. upgrades, point accumulation etc. I should put this in the respective forums but since it's a comparative question and I know some people have some experience with this here, I'd like to get thoughts on which would best complement the Air Canada status, considering I'm probably looking at maybe an additional 50k in miles.

thanks,

Lorna
Old Apr 20, 14, 10:19 pm
Moderator: Le Club Accorhotels, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
IMO crediting your miles to UA makes no sense unless you´re able to make 1K status (which would earn you 6 GPUs - probably the most valuable UA status perk). The only exception to this would be if you fly to destinations in Central America not served by AC and you´re actually flying UA somewhat regularly. In that case even having mid-tier status probably is more useful than AC status.

I´m not aware of any meaningful benefits offered by TK that you wouldn´t get a *G member anyway.

If we were talking about an extra 100k miles, there are many good options incl. UA 1K, AA EXP or even LH SEN, but 50k miles doesn´t get you much.

Personally I would credit them to AC/AE and earn the additional upgrade credits as well as the 25k bonus miles when crossing 150k miles.
Old Apr 21, 14, 7:37 am

Programs: Free Agent
I am in the same boat- and like Jasper2009's advise- it depends how far over you will be. Orphan miles for minimal status hold no appeal vs maximizing what I have gained with AC status.

If you are going to move the miles outside of AC, chose an alliance other than *G. I am toying with signing up for a challenge on AA to get OneWorld status. But I need to study up on how this benefits a Cdn- perhaps Jasper2009 has some insight?
Old Apr 21, 14, 7:48 am

Programs: AC-SE MM
I'm also in the same situation. I will cross 100K in the next month or so. So this year I will be close to 200K. I'm also very close to 2MM lifetime miles but this plateau is effectively useless and unless AC makes concrete changes to the MM Club I couldn't care less. So a possibly One World status like canolakid mentioned is appealing?
Old Apr 21, 14, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by canolakid View Post
If you are going to move the miles outside of AC, chose an alliance other than *G. I am toying with signing up for a challenge on AA to get OneWorld status. But I need to study up on how this benefits a Cdn- perhaps Jasper2009 has some insight?
I posted an AC SE vs. AA EXP comparison thread a few months ago. My opinion hasn´t really changed this then (although there have been a few minor changes: AA has started flying to YEG, AA eliminated Oneworld awards, and the desease called Rouge is spreading at AC).

As mentioned above, getting status with AA isn´t worth it IMO unless there´s a real chance of getting EXP status.

Last edited by Jasper2009; Apr 21, 14 at 10:57 am
Old Apr 21, 14, 10:46 am

If you want to get status with a OW airline, BA Silver may be worth looking into. Not many benefits except for the core benefits such as J check-in, J lounge access across OW, access to preferred seats - but BA may not be a bad option ex-YVR to Europe and Africa.
Old Apr 21, 14, 11:13 am

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
From the point of view of redemption: TK has a horrible redemption chart - at least the one that is in effect from June. Aviance still has a good redemption chart but do not know their perks for members. UA would always have been a great compliment to AP but their chart is pretty sad reading also these days. If you are getting 100% bonus on AC flights with tier bonus, I would park those miles in AP.
Old Apr 21, 14, 12:26 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by Jasper2009 View Post
I posted an AC SE vs. AA EXP comparison thread a few months ago. My opinion hasn´t really changed this then (although there have been a few minor changes: AA has started flying to YEG, AA eliminated Oneworld awards, and the desease called Rouge is spreading at AC).

As mentioned above, getting status with AA isn´t worth it IMO unless there´s a real chance of getting EXP status.
Thanks- I did go back and re-read; esp your guidance re EXP or don't bother.
Old Apr 21, 14, 4:35 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Im on the same boat too as OP. Will hit 100k by mid May. And still have another 3 TPAC/Lat. America AC flights after that (just to burn eupgrade credits).

Was hoping if someone can recommend another alliance to dump my other flights mainly from CEB or HKG to E.U....Was thinking of CX or QR or EK. Would prefer EK as RT business class from mnl to e.u. is 2600$ approx...but i always bring priscription sleeping pills with me, so that worries me taking a middle eastern airline...

After reading so many posts, im slowly seeing the light that it doesnt make sense to be loyal to just one airline/alliance when I can get CX J class or KE J for $3600 from CEB-YVR vs. $2100 AC flex HKG-YVR + $300 CEB-HKG + $500 2 nights stay in HKG...(ok, i admit ill still stick with AC but only up 101k starting next year and no more than that)

So any airline recommendations that's not star alliance from ceb/mnl/hkg to e.u. that has great loyalty program benefits? Or should i just maintain my SE status by reaching the minimum and anything over 100k, ill vote with my wallet and fly the cheapest business class available to e.u.?
Old Apr 21, 14, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E50, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Funny, I'm in the opposite situation. About to hit 100K miles with UA and wondering if I should post additional flights to AE. I get 100% tier bonus on UA and only 50% on AC. Also, just posted a UA HKG-GUM flight to AE and forgot that I would only get 50% status miles (K fare) on top of that.

I love redeeming miles with MP account because of the unlimited free changes/cancellations and trust me, I'm using them. This is only for Plats and 1Ks but the change fee is a lot less than $90 for lower elite levels.

UA's devaluation is what is causing me to reconsider putting some miles in AE.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: