Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking Hotels w/ Aeroplan

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2014, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, AMEX MR, Avios, Marriott, SPG, many more with negligible points
Booking Hotels w/ Aeroplan

Has anyone tried booking hotels with Aeroplan? What was your experience like? Should I do it?
Old Jun 25, 2014, 9:57 am

Programs: Qantas Silver, MileagePlus Silver
Originally Posted by ibopm
Has anyone tried booking hotels with Aeroplan? What was your experience like? Should I do it?
I've booked a few last minute stays at the Royal York in Toronto with aeroplan. You are treated the same as a paying guest.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 10:01 am

Programs: Enough
Originally Posted by ibopm
Do you mean using points to pay? If so, that'd be a waste...
Old Jun 25, 2014, 10:43 am

Pretty Terrible value; but if there are less points on the book; less devaluations to come;

So yes, I highly recommend booking hotels with AE points
Old Jun 25, 2014, 12:00 pm

I actually used 45K Aeroplan (it fluctuates between 45K to 54K I think, so I got lucky) to book 1 night stay at Westin Regina & Europa in Venice, Italy in April 2014

It was the Wideroe mistake fare and I redeemed 6 nights of hotel all on various points/program

It's either 45K or like $600 Euro ($900 CAD?) for my date, which I'll never pay

I email'ed hotel directly to attach my SPG Gold status, and got a "tiny" upgrade to a TINY room but with a view of Grand Canal, so I'm glad I didn't pay out of pocket

If one does have tons of Aeroplan (THANK YOU AMEX) and want to splurge, it's doable

FYI - I looked and didn't find Aeroplan useful for other cities like Florence or Milan
Aeroplan hotel offerings usually only include Best Western and SPG properties
Old Jun 25, 2014, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I've booked hotels with AE; it's very easy.

If you book SPG, the SPG res # is on the second to last confirmation page as you're clicking through. I always print to PDF as I'm clicking to ensure I capture this page.

I've only ever had one issue where a hotel in IST tried to claim that my booking was for one night only and not for the 3 that I stayed. I refused to pay extra and I never heard back. But since then I've always printed 2 copies of hotel reservations - one to show them at check in and if they take it, one more in reserve for check out. This only ever happened once though so typically there are no issues.

I found the redemption to be good value for the Sheraton in IGR. Other hotels are, as others point out, somewhat questionable value but if you have points to burn then go for it!
Old Jun 25, 2014, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, AMEX MR, Avios, Marriott, SPG, many more with negligible points
Originally Posted by RCyyz
I've booked hotels with AE; it's very easy.

If you book SPG, the SPG res # is on the second to last confirmation page as you're clicking through. I always print to PDF as I'm clicking to ensure I capture this page.

I've only ever had one issue where a hotel in IST tried to claim that my booking was for one night only and not for the 3 that I stayed. I refused to pay extra and I never heard back. But since then I've always printed 2 copies of hotel reservations - one to show them at check in and if they take it, one more in reserve for check out. This only ever happened once though so typically there are no issues.

I found the redemption to be good value for the Sheraton in IGR. Other hotels are, as others point out, somewhat questionable value but if you have points to burn then go for it!
Is there a way for me to find that number again if I've already passed that page?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.