Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC Baggage Handlers Toss Bags 20Ft! VIDEO!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC Baggage Handlers Toss Bags 20Ft! VIDEO!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2014, 2:31 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
Any guess as to How much o/h storage per passenger there is on AC's 777HD vs, for example, DL's 262-seat domestic 767?
I'm not playing. Abomination is not relative. I don't fly DL, nor is this the DL forum.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 3:06 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
So how do you really feel?

Just curious: Do you always fly TPAC or a mix of int´l destinations? While I personally think there are many better options than AC on TPAC routes, I can´t think of many airlines on routes to South America and Europe with both a better soft product and hard product (for a pax travelling alone).
I fly a mix of international destinations.

Recently went to Europe on Lufthansa and Asia on Cathay.

Snubbed AC altogether. They SUCK
Old Apr 20, 2014, 3:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: S100KMM,SPG Platinum,Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by FastSRT8
I fly a mix of international destinations.

Recently went to Europe on Lufthansa and Asia on Cathay.

Snubbed AC altogether. They SUCK
You got me...I can't say LH and CX SUCK 'cause they don't. In fact when I got to Europe I usually prefer to fly LX and LH over AC as a first choice unless there is a great nonstop on AC.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by flyquiet
I'm not playing. Abomination is not relative. I don't fly DL, nor is this the DL forum.
Airlines compete Globally with one another. OR should we just compare operational aspects of AC with the airlines you fly?
If you're claiming AC 777HD is an abomination, Can we bring up competing aircraft with competing airlines, OR should we just take your word for it?
Old Apr 20, 2014, 4:27 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
I don't get it? 7 AC staff told you the price paid was due to 788 delay? What people? Lounge agents? Concierge?

There was no questioning the favourable pricing. Linking the price w/ 788 delay was questioned as was the notion Boeing were eating the fit-up costs of the HD.
Is that reported in the MDA linked as well?
1 Senior exec
3 Pilots
3 In Charge

Look, I don't give a rats a*s if you don't believe me or require a notarized copy of their purchase order with some Boeing Executive blood dripped over the signature. How about you start delivering some inside information for once instead of just being a little kid running around our feet in circles?
Old Apr 20, 2014, 4:29 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Airlines compete Globally with one another. OR should we just compare operational aspects of AC with the airlines you fly?
If you're claiming AC 777HD is an abomination, Can we bring up competing aircraft with competing airlines, OR should we just take your word for it?
It is well within the OP's right to claim it is an abomination in their opinion...and I do actually think we should take their word for it....because it is their opinion.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 5:07 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Do you have any factual basis for this theory you seem intent on putting forth? Anything at all?

LOL .... Pilots would know.
Why would Boeing absorb cost fitting up a plane that is in such high demand as the 300ER?
Actually some pilots are quite "in the know" about what's going to be happening and have their finger on the pulse. A few different pilots told me about the pending 737-Max deal more than a year ago, looks like they "would know"
Old Apr 20, 2014, 5:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jaysona
Actually some pilots are quite "in the know" about what's going to be happening and have their finger on the pulse. A few different pilots told me about the pending 737-Max deal more than a year ago, looks like they "would know"
I agree, I just learned after talking to the Captain on AC#92 last week that the fin #801 (B-788) won't be delivered on-time until the week of May 19th at the earliest, as the pilots had to go and pick up the plane on May 20th which is the tentative scheduled date. All this before anything was posted on FT or anywhere...so they ARE in the know. Maybe too much fog cover in "Clouds Above"
Old Apr 20, 2014, 5:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dorian
1 Senior exec
3 Pilots
3 In Charge

Look, I don't give a rats a*s if you don't believe me or require a notarized copy of their purchase order with some Boeing Executive blood dripped over the signature. How about you start delivering some inside information for once instead of just being a little kid running around our feet in circles?
+1000^ LOL
Old Apr 20, 2014, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by jaysona
Actually some pilots are quite "in the know" about what's going to be happening and have their finger on the pulse.
My brother in law was head of the KLM pilot's union for quite a while and often knew things even KLM executives hadn't heard about yet.

BTW I agree that CloudsBelow's sniping at everyone's posts is getting rather tiresome...
Old Apr 20, 2014, 5:33 pm

Getting back OT - this is just really bad optics

First off - I do not approve of the baggage handlers actions - any more than I approve of people driving 120km/h when the posted limit is 100km/h.

This is just a case of really bad optics, these bags were dropped ~20ft? Not too damaging - it just looks really, really bad to general public, but very little damage if any caused to the contents.

Those who are appaled by the actions of the baggage handles *would surely* be even more appaled when they find out how baggage is handled by the automate baggage handling system.

If you're really curious to see just how much force the average bag is subjected to, place a couple of these in your luggage. The Flex and ShockWatch 2 ae the ones I have used to most often, the results were not all that surprising.

Unfortunately, I figure the handlers in question have been pushed and pushed by the bean counters at Air Canada to meet the OTP (on time performance) targets for that particular flight, given that it was a 77P, their actions were probably the only way they felt they could maintain the OTP target. Firing these guys was akin to shooting the messenger - the underlying problem is still present.

I would prefer that bags are know thrown around, but the reality is that bags get a rough handling throughout the entire trip - you just don't see it.

I've seen bags fall out of planes from a greater height when cargo doors are opened, and I have seen what happens to bags in the innards of various airport baggage handling systems - it's all a lot worse that what is shown in the video.

Cure the disease - don't treat it.

Last edited by jaysona; Apr 20, 2014 at 6:35 pm Reason: added sarcasm
Old Apr 20, 2014, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by hazcaddy
My brother in law was head of the KLM pilot's union for quite a while and often knew things even KLM executives hadn't heard about yet.

BTW I agree that CloudsBelow's sniping at everyone's posts is getting rather tiresome...
I have met many airline Chief Pilots and at some airlines they have quite a significant amount of input regarding certain choices the airlines make. They usually arrive at these decision by consulting with those on the line, so you KLM line is spot on with what I have seen.

Last edited by tcook052; Apr 20, 2014 at 9:41 pm
Old Apr 20, 2014, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by Dorian
1 Senior exec
3 Pilots
3 In Charge

^ Oompf! I just spit out my coffee - and I wasn't drinking any!
Old Apr 20, 2014, 5:48 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by luv2flyJ
I have also learned tonight from AC that the 2 baggage handlers were fired today.
Classic! So here's how this is going to play out:

AC fires baggage handlers, lets it leak to the public. PR disaster is defused, at least as best they can for now. News coverage dies down. Fired employees grieve, union takes the grievance to AC. After the usual arm waving by lawyers, they settle, or maybe take it to arbitration to make the point. Since these arbitrations are held behind closed doors, we'll never know if it happens, nor the outcome if it does. Fired employees will be reinstated with full back pay and a written reprimand on their file.

In a few weeks they'll be back on the job and we'll never know. In the meantime, all the other baggage handlers will carry bags down the stairs one by one at a snail's pace, claim back injuries and go on compo.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Sopwith
Classic! So here's how this is going to play out:

AC fires baggage handlers, lets it leak to the public. PR disaster is defused, at least as best they can for now. News coverage dies down. Fired employees grieve, union takes the grievance to AC. After the usual arm waving by lawyers, they settle, or maybe take it to arbitration to make the point. Since these arbitrations are held behind closed doors, we'll never know if it happens, nor the outcome if it does. Fired employees will be reinstated with full back pay and a written reprimand on their file.

In a few weeks they'll be back on the job and we'll never know. In the meantime, all the other baggage handlers will carry bags down the stairs one by one at a snail's pace, claim back injuries and go on compo.
If you don't know what happens at these types of arbitrations (assuming it even gets there), how do you know they'll be reinstated?

The second statement is just in poor taste.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.