Air Canada pulling back on Tango

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2002, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Air Canada pulling back on Tango

http://www.nationalpost.com/financia...-A408230A7BD8}

From today's National Post

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
Air Canada is paring back some Tango operations at summer's end amid lingering questions about the brand's effectiveness in combating discount rivals.

</font>
Old Jul 10, 2002, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

For those who don't want to read the article, this is the part I found interesting.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">

Finally, the company said Tango was intended to capture traffic from low fare carriers and defend market share. But during June, Air Canada's domestic traffic fell 2.1% while WestJet Airlines Ltd. reported a 52.2% increase in traffic on 65.3% capacity growth.

Analysts have suggested Tango may be stunting Air Canada's mainline business.
</font>
Old Jul 10, 2002, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Much ado about nothing:

1. The routes being cut were seasonal to very specific summer vacation cities. All will still be served by AC mainline or JAZZ service. In this regard, TANGO is AC's best way of responding to seasonal need for cheap seats on point-to-point runs. They can add capacity without flying 16 empty front cabin seats. And keep capacity open on the mainline for passengers who want this premiumservice, or economy flyers who may be connecting onto or onward. In the winter months, these TANGO aircraft can be assigned to warm weather destinations or used for charter purposes.

2. True AC may be losing market share on the mainline service, but given it is the dominant carrier, it will alway be losing market share are new entrants -- including TANGO -- enter these routes. As for WEST JET's rising share, we all know when a company is growing it will post quite impressive percentages in this regard. AC is performing better than any of the major full service carriers in the US save for CO.

Of course TANGO will eat into AC mainline's customer base, but better compete with discount carriers this way than totally water down the mainline product, or lose customers altogether -- a factor not considered by this reporter or the analyst whose report he is paraphrasing.

Do you think it was a bad move by Shaw Cable to buy the StarChoice satellite service? StarChoice is taking a lot of cable subscribers away from Shaw, but unlike the case with Rogers [which is losing customers to ExpressVu and StarChoice], these households are still contributing to Shaw's corporate coffers. AC is doing what every major consumer goods supplier has done to stem the move of a certain subset of customers to bargain brands: set one of your own up.
Old Jul 10, 2002, 1:36 pm

See below. Oops!

[This message has been edited by PunishedEdmontonian (edited 07-10-2002).]
Old Jul 10, 2002, 1:37 pm

Seasonal! Abbottsford from YYZ?
Old Jul 10, 2002, 1:41 pm

Programs: AlFursan, AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Avios, Bonvoy, All
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Shareholder:
Much ado about nothing:

1. The routes being cut were seasonal to very specific summer vacation cities. All will still be served by AC mainline or JAZZ service. In this regard, TANGO is AC's best way of responding to seasonal need for cheap seats on point-to-point runs. They can add capacity without flying 16 empty front cabin seats. And keep capacity open on the mainline for passengers who want this premiumservice, or economy flyers who may be connecting onto or onward. In the winter months, these TANGO aircraft can be assigned to warm weather destinations or used for charter purposes.

2. True AC may be losing market share on the mainline service, but given it is the dominant carrier, it will alway be losing market share are new entrants -- including TANGO -- enter these routes. As for WEST JET's rising share, we all know when a company is growing it will post quite impressive percentages in this regard. AC is performing better than any of the major full service carriers in the US save for CO.

Of course TANGO will eat into AC mainline's customer base, but better compete with discount carriers this way than totally water down the mainline product, or lose customers altogether -- a factor not considered by this reporter or the analyst whose report he is paraphrasing.

Do you think it was a bad move by Shaw Cable to buy the StarChoice satellite service? StarChoice is taking a lot of cable subscribers away from Shaw, but unlike the case with Rogers [which is losing customers to ExpressVu and StarChoice], these households are still contributing to Shaw's corporate coffers. AC is doing what every major consumer goods supplier has done to stem the move of a certain subset of customers to bargain brands: set one of your own up.
</font>
Executive summary please.

1D

Old Jul 10, 2002, 1:52 pm

well I can tell you the YYC-YWG tango service
lasted less than a month. Loads were in the mid 30's on a 737.
Old Jul 10, 2002, 2:10 pm
exAC

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PunishedEdmontonian:
Seasonal! Abbottsford from YYZ?</font>
I think that YXX had to be seasonal due to the labour contracts of the Baggage Handling and Ticket Counter staff. If it was year round, then they would have to open the base for postings from across the system instead of hiring locally.

On the other hand I think that YXX could be a good year round route from Toronto.

Old Jul 10, 2002, 3:22 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by exAC:
I think that YXX had to be seasonal due to the labour contracts of the Baggage Handling and Ticket Counter staff. If it was year round, then they would have to open the base for postings from across the system instead of hiring locally.

On the other hand I think that YXX could be a good year round route from Toronto.
</font>

The only reason AC flies to abbotsford with Tango is because their competitor does.

If Tango starts to falter, will it get government money, or just Air Canada money?

If westjet falter, will it get Air Canada money?

Tango's inherant predatory scheme puts a lump in anyones throat who tries to answer those questions....
Old Jul 10, 2002, 3:25 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Shareholder:
Much ado about nothing:
</font>
Yes, but you're forgetting the fact that Air Canada subsidizes Tango and they drive down the prices to the point where Tango would not remain solvent if not a subsiduary of Air Canada!! Using your logic, that would be like Starchoice charging 1/2 the price of shaw for cable, forcing Bell or Rogers to lower their prices to the point where they can't make any money doing it!!! Simply outrageous!

Old Jul 10, 2002, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Looks like YEG-YWG will go down to 1 flight while YEG-YYZ appears to stay at 2 flights...for now.
Old Jul 10, 2002, 5:14 pm

Several other Tango routes didn't even get off the ground. (YWG-YOW, for example.)

I do not see any indication that Tango has had any impact on West Jet's loads. West Jet's planes remain full and the company remains profitable. The only flights they are considering cancelling are some ultra-shorthaul runs in light of the new security tax, despite the recent Tango expansion. Meanwhile, Tango has a higher cost structure and is offering lower fares. Tango might be flying passengers who would otherwise take CanJet or JetsGo, but they aren't hurting West Jet at all and likely costing AC a lot of money.
Old Jul 10, 2002, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
StarChoice pricing matches ExpressVu pricing which is somewhat lower than Shaw or any other cableco's pricing due to the way tiers get assembled.

The issue is if AC matches a competitor's fares, it's called predatory pricing. If it doesn't come close to these fares, everyone here *****es about how uncompetitive AC's fares are, and they are gouging us.

Another flame from Jakpot, I see.
Old Jul 10, 2002, 6:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Boy, someone is sure cranky lately.

I have no problems with the concept of Tango per se, however, I do get upset when they switch non-stop mainline/Jazz service with non-stop Tango service and then wonder why the frequent flyers get upset when these switches mean they won't earn Q or Status Miles for the upcoming year. It's crap like this that really gets to me about this company. My example in this case is YYC-YYJ (the afternoon Jazz F28 is now a Tango A320). BTW, I would think this flight would be a casualty come the fall as it's a YXU-YYC continuing segment.
Old Jul 10, 2002, 7:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
At the risk of getting caught in the Shareholder-Jackpot crossfire, I'll add my 2 cents worth on this subject.
The better comparison instead of The Rogers/Bell thing is to Canada Post. Like AC, the crown corporation enjoyed the market to itself for far too long and was only forced to offer customers more choices and services once competition from courier companies started to change the market. AC has made recent changes, like creating Tango, but only because it was forced to. React rather than act. Shareholder is right to say year over year stat's show AC is not in as bad a shape as some U.S. carriers. But I think he/she overlooks the fact that the only reason that has occured is because of the lack of competition north of the 49th. Does anyone doubt that UA would be in better financial shape if it faced much less competition ? AC will always be able to own a certain market segment because of it's size and lack of viable alternatives.
I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't feel sorry for AC's current state of affairs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.