Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aircanada Customer Service the Pits what can be done?

Old Jun 30, 02, 10:56 pm
Original Poster

I am a Gold American flyer and sometimes fly on Air Canada from MIA <> YUL. About 2-3 more trips for Air Canada's next status from regular aeroplan.

My beef with AC is that I booked a flight from MIA <> YUL and at that time they did not have a return flight back to FLL. I recently learned that they have added the FLL after I made the reservation with the travel agent and they won't budge in chaning my return city without a $100 USD change fee X 4 persons. I spoke with a supervisor and they really couldn't care. I feel I am being penalized because they didn't offer the return back to FLL when I booked. Plus the fact the YUL > FLL is wide open on my travel date.

Good customer serivce would allow me to change it without fees, however, they always seem to have the snooty attitude, if you don't like it, go somewhere else!

What can be done?
Old Jul 1, 02, 2:36 am

FLL and MIA, as far as I know, are not co-terminals. So, if an agent queries for availability YUL-MIA, s/he won't automatically get the availability for FLL. So I guess you can't really blame the agent for not checking FLL because s/he might not have known that they are close together.

And as for waiving the change fee..... I guess you'll have to do the phone-rounds, where you phone again and again until you get the answer you want.
Old Jul 1, 02, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
The fact that you used a Travel Agent would suggest to me your problem is not with AC but with the TA. The very reason for supposedly using TAs is their superior knowledge, which should have included knowing changes in service by all carriers, and thus that AC would soon start service from FLL. Also, when you booked, did you actually say you wanted to fly from/return to FLL rather than MIA. The agent should have put that return destination into the system, and even if AC just started service, such a flight should have shown up on their computers. Airlines load routes into the system long before they actually start flying them, and considering AC flies FLL seasonally every year, it should have been easy enough for your TA to find this information for you.

I say your quarrel is not with AC, but with your TA.
Old Jul 1, 02, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Actually MIA and FLL are Co-terminals and this was verifed with Air Canada.

The problem is not the travel agent. When I booked the trip in May 02 they did not have YUL > FLL. They added this flight which is very strange as the snowbird season is over and it's only on a saturday.

Thus being co-terminals and the fact that I should not have to suffer because of them is my point why they are lousy in customer service and couldn't care. I can't stand companies like this. They see it one way and it's their way.

I seem to have no recourse. I've called two times to AC and get the same answer. A lead supervisor put a note saying waive in change fee is not permitted so they are going by that now.

Unbelieveable that a customer is cornered like this in a jail cell!
Old Jul 1, 02, 10:04 am

I don't wish to contradict what your TA told you but I know for a fact that the Saturday YUL/FLL flight was in the system back in March. We were checking the flights to try and figure out what our summer schedules would look like.

The MIA and FLL flights should leave YUL at about the same time, perhaps you could ask the check-in agent about the possibility about switching over to the FLL with out the fee. If it is wide open, I would say your chances are fairly good. In other words, I'd do it.
Old Jul 1, 02, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Back in May when I typed in my date of 20 JUL on the AC website it came up with no valid flights. So even though I would love to pin it on the TA, I can't.

Also, I realize that the #930 leaves at 8:10 AM and the FLL flight leaves at 10:00 AM. Only about 1 hr and 40 min difference. But when you have 2 kids travel with waking up at 7AM compared to 5 AM is a difference.

I wouldn't go to the airport and standby for the 10:00 AM flight if I'm already up and ready to check in.

The fact reamins if the flight is open to FLL, I'm a customer with a long time standing frequent flyer account, when I looked at the schedule and the TA looked at it, FLL was not showing.

The fact remains the several times I called they weren't interested in the fact if the flight was shown or not. The supervisor told me that they add and remove all the time and that's the way it is.

It's the arrogant attitude that tickers me.

I could understand if they weren't listed a co-terminals but they are!
Old Jul 1, 02, 12:42 pm

You probably don't like this answer, but I too don't see any reasons that AC should switch you over without a fee. Whether the YUL-FLL was loaded at the time of booking is irrelevant. The fact that they are co-terminals simply means you can standby for FLL or book it so that you arrive at MIA and leave out of FLL (and keep the same YUL-MIA fare).

Once you book a flight, you agree to all the restrictions and terms with it. In you case, there's a $100 change fee for any confirmed changes that you want done. There really is no grounds to waive it simply because they are co-terminals.

Think of it another way, say after you booked your YUL-MIA flight, you found out about another YUL-MIA flight that's earlier/later that you would like to take. If you want to change it to the later flight (confirmed change, not stand by), would you not expect to pay the change fee?
Old Jul 1, 02, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

I agree with you on everything except if the flight is not loaded into the reservation system at the time of booking and I book it and it later comes available and it's a coterminal.

Of course I agree with the policy of making a reserveration and later deciding to change the time of paying a fee.

Howard
Old Jul 1, 02, 2:35 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC E75K/SPG-Marriott Titanium/Accor-FPC Plat/IHG Plat/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
This can actually work both ways, I truly believe that other than the NY area, most AC res agents are clueless about co-terminal situtations. I would be very surprised is you were not hassled at FLL if you checked in with a MIA-YUL segment assuming that FLL has AC check-in staff and not UA staff. The flight searches for YVR-YYC also pull up YXX-YYC which the computer recognizes as a co-terminal but the YVR agents do not. Arrrghh!

Good luck getting any sort of response from Customer 'Solutions' in Calgary, I have stopped sending in letters as of last year due to their poor response rate.
Old Jul 1, 02, 2:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC E75K/SPG-Marriott Titanium/Accor-FPC Plat/IHG Plat/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp

Ooops! Duplicate post.

[This message has been edited by PointWeasel (edited 07-01-2002).]
Old Jul 1, 02, 5:29 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by howard007:
I agree with you on everything except if the flight is not loaded into the reservation system at the time of booking and I book it and it later comes available and it's a coterminal.

Of course I agree with the policy of making a reserveration and later deciding to change the time of paying a fee.

Howard
</font>
Like the agent said, that's just the way it is. There are schedule changes all the time and so whatever loaded at the time of booking are the flights that you choose from. If you don't like the choices, you can wait until the flight you want is loaded (if you know it will be) or fly another carrier.

It's like the fare you see at the time of booking. Say you have the reservations ticketed and paid for and the very next day, there's a sale for the exact same flights, you are still stuck with your fare unless you pay the $100 change fee. Same idea here, in my opinion. It sucks but that's why change fees exist.
Old Jul 1, 02, 9:41 pm

Basically this is it Howard007.I do not see how you are being cornered in a jail cell like some sort of victim. There is a new flight that you now want. Yes,you would have taken it if it existed at the time of booking but it didn't.
Just compare it to buying ceramic tiles at a
hardward store that charges 20% restocking fee. The day after you buy the tiles,they get nicer ones in stock at the same price. Do you think that they will gladly take your tiles back at no fee????

Search this Thread
Search Engine: