Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Priority Boarding guest etiquette?!

Priority Boarding guest etiquette?!

Old Mar 17, 14, 1:35 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: YYC
Programs: UA 1K, AC E50K, WS Gold, AA Plat, Hertz PC, National EE
Posts: 2,696
Priority Boarding guest etiquette?!

Hi all,

I have a situation upcoming, it's very first world problem but it is concerning me. My direct manager and regional VP will be both travelling with me to YYZ next week. I know I can bring on someone to priority board with me, but do you think telling the GA that both are with me is too excessive? We are obviously not related...

Problem is, we are all stuck in Y and I can just normal board with them, but I NEED overhead space and I don't want to be gate lice with general boarding. But I also don't want to priority board on my own with them there, or just guest one of them to come on with me and leave the other out...

What are your thoughts and experiences? How many friends/colleagues(non family member) have you boarded with that has no status(4 co workers are coming as well but not worried about them at this point )

I ALWAYS almost board last(95% of my travels), but this is an instance where priority boarding will be very useful so I am hoping it works out for me... I guess I'm self conscious and not want to look over entitled.

SKYEG
SKYEG is offline  
Old Mar 17, 14, 1:56 pm
  #2  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 49,967
All about internal employer optics. If you board before your boss, will he care? If he does, check your bag and be done with it.
Often1 is offline  
Old Mar 17, 14, 2:01 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: YEG
Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired
Posts: 1,457
Just go into the priority lane with both of them. Give the agent your BP first and say they are with me.

I do it lots and it has never been an issue.
danapop is offline  
Old Mar 17, 14, 2:21 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Programs: AC*P25
Posts: 416
Originally Posted by SKYEG View Post
Hi all,

... I don't want to be gate lice with general boarding.... I guess I'm self conscious and not want to look over entitled.

SKYEG
Too late.
i59bravo is offline  
Old Mar 17, 14, 2:29 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: YEG
Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired
Posts: 1,457
Originally Posted by i59bravo View Post
Too late.
wow. Already attacking people on post #3...
danapop is offline  
Old Mar 17, 14, 2:35 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: YYC
Programs: UA 1K, AC E50K, WS Gold, AA Plat, Hertz PC, National EE
Posts: 2,696
Originally Posted by i59bravo View Post
Too late.
thanks for your thoughtful response and welcome to FT You will fit right in
SKYEG is offline  
Old Mar 17, 14, 2:40 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: YVR
Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Silver, Marriott Ambassador & lifetime Plat
Posts: 1,693
Originally Posted by danapop View Post
Just go into the priority lane with both of them. Give the agent your BP first and say they are with me.
This should work fine. Just be sure to say it to the agent so he/she doesn't challenge them.
krayZpaving is offline  
Old Mar 17, 14, 2:41 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Programs: AP SE
Posts: 150
Originally Posted by i59bravo View Post
Too late.
All in fun, I'm sure....I chuckled when I read it!
Slalom01 is offline  
Old Mar 17, 14, 2:43 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Programs: ACAlt,SPG,MR
Posts: 64
I agree with danapop (on both posts...) just bring them both up with you - it shouldn't be a big deal. You will hear contrary opinions I am certain however don't make a big deal - no one will even know the difference.

There was another post to check your bags - not the worst idea to avoid the awkwardness.

Last - if your bosses don't have some kind of status with another airline I would be surprised and so even if you boarded without them I don't think they would think less of you. If they did I might be thinking about why other petty issues they have with you!

Hows that for equivocal?!?
MrMacko is offline  
Old Mar 17, 14, 3:28 pm
  #10  
RZR
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: YUL
Programs: AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
Posts: 1,230
Originally Posted by MrMacko View Post
I agree with danapop (on both posts...) just bring them both up with you - it shouldn't be a big deal. You will hear contrary opinions I am certain however don't make a big deal - no one will even know the difference.

There was another post to check your bags - not the worst idea to avoid the awkwardness.

Last - if your bosses don't have some kind of status with another airline I would be surprised and so even if you boarded without them I don't think they would think less of you. If they did I might be thinking about why other petty issues they have with you!

Hows that for equivocal?!?
You should drive, all of you can get in the vehicle at the same time
RZR is offline  
Old Mar 17, 14, 4:19 pm
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: YYC
Programs: UA 1K, AC E50K, WS Gold, AA Plat, Hertz PC, National EE
Posts: 2,696
LOL!!

Thank you for all the help, I think I will give it a try, may make a last minute switch to just get in on general boarding as I may be too chicken... Checking my laptop bag and small carry on is not an option as I have a meeting to make and need to get out ASAP. Would be an easy solution though.

Not knowing how they feel, I feel as if I'd rather not be in the position of being judged haha.

SKYEG
SKYEG is offline  
Old Mar 17, 14, 4:44 pm
  #12  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 4,153
Originally Posted by SKYEG View Post
Hi all,

I have a situation upcoming, it's very first world problem but it is concerning me. My direct manager and regional VP will be both travelling with me to YYZ next week. I know I can bring on someone to priority board with me, but do you think telling the GA that both are with me is too excessive? We are obviously not related...

Problem is, we are all stuck in Y and I can just normal board with them, but I NEED overhead space and I don't want to be gate lice with general boarding. But I also don't want to priority board on my own with them there, or just guest one of them to come on with me and leave the other out...

What are your thoughts and experiences? How many friends/colleagues(non family member) have you boarded with that has no status(4 co workers are coming as well but not worried about them at this point )

I ALWAYS almost board last(95% of my travels), but this is an instance where priority boarding will be very useful so I am hoping it works out for me... I guess I'm self conscious and not want to look over entitled.

SKYEG
Two priority boarding threads in one day?

You can PB a guest. Why not?
FlyerTalker683455 is offline  
Old Mar 17, 14, 4:52 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: YYC
Posts: 22,471
OPriority boarding etiquette???

An oxymoron if I see one, isn't it?

Priority boarding is all about "I am more important than you."

Survival of the fittest, at the end of the day. Reminded me of boarding a train in China. At a large intermediate station, when they open the floodgate only ten minutes before the schedule.

My wife keeps telling me stories of people insisting in telling her, "Madam, this is the priority line." Who eventually proceed to the back while she sits in front.
Stranger is offline  
Old Mar 17, 14, 4:55 pm
  #14  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Programs: A3*G, UA*S, MR PPE, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Posts: 3,617
Originally Posted by danapop View Post
wow. Already attacking people on post #3...
It happened later than I expected

To the OP: I've honestly never had trouble with priority boarding. To be honest, I'm not sure if GAs actually enforce it. I've priority-boarded with my AC*A BP at YEG, YVR, YYZ, YUL and YHZ without any issues (in Y--as an A3*G). I've boarded zones 3-5 on UA (even at EWR) without any issues.

As for the guest issue, I've brought a few people along with me. The first was my mother. She was obviously related. At a separate time, I brought a friend, who obviously was not (different PNR, ethnicity, hair colour, and eye colour), and I had no issue--I didn't even have to specify that either of them were with me. The GA just let them through. Honestly, you're overthinking it. Pretend you, and they, are supposed to be there, and you probably won't get questioned. If you do, well, they're with you, and DTKWYA?
pewpew is offline  
Old Mar 17, 14, 5:29 pm
  #15  
CT1
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: YYC
Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Plat, Aeroplan dDiamond
Posts: 364
Originally Posted by pewpew View Post
It happened later than I expected

To the OP: I've honestly never had trouble with priority boarding. To be honest, I'm not sure if GAs actually enforce it. I've priority-boarded with my AC*A BP at YEG, YVR, YYZ, YUL and YHZ without any issues (in Y--as an A3*G). I've boarded zones 3-5 on UA (even at EWR) without any issues.

As for the guest issue, I've brought a few people along with me. The first was my mother. She was obviously related. At a separate time, I brought a friend, who obviously was not (different PNR, ethnicity, hair colour, and eye colour), and I had no issue--I didn't even have to specify that either of them were with me. The GA just let them through. Honestly, you're overthinking it. Pretend you, and they, are supposed to be there, and you probably won't get questioned. If you do, well, they're with you, and DTKWYA?
Welllll....a GA could be stickler for the rules, which say that E50 and up, plus *G, can also bring their immediate family to board with them. No mention of other guests. However I agree that YMMV, and I rarely see any hardcore enforcement when I priority board.

See official rule:

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin.../boarding.html
CT1 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: