Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

What drives Air Canada's stock price?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What drives Air Canada's stock price?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2022, 1:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy1978
Don't airlines generally sign long term fuel supply agreements in an attempt to protect themselves from price fluctuations. I'd imagine, depending on when those contracts expire, that there would be price shocks to the current elevated prices. Perhaps this is a factor.
Some airlines hedge. Some do not. The mechanism of hedging can also vary.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 1:57 pm

I am not in finances so I may not use words correctly, but I wouldn't call buying fuel 6 months out for seats that I'm selling for 6 months out hedging. It's just fixing the COGS when I sell the goods.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 12:13 pm

Seems a bit optimistic, but who knows.

..... a $31 price target on Air Canada’s stock, implying 76 per cent upside over the next 12 months....

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/air-cana...lays-1.1782975
Old Jun 27, 2022, 3:57 am

Programs: Curb Your Enthusiasm, Fraggle Rock
It’s been a pretty sad few weeks for AC shares. But share values come to matter less if you view an AC stock purchase as tithing, not investing.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 7:30 pm

Scotiabank Analysts ... reduced the airline's stock-price target [12 months] from $31 to $26

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/scotiaba...ling-1.1785161
Old Jun 30, 2022, 8:27 am

AC -8% to $15.6 today on broad market down and flight reductions for summer
Old Jun 30, 2022, 2:22 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Stock is approx the same price as it was during the pandemic lockdown. A bit harsh.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 3:29 pm

Programs: AC E75K, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Tit, HH Silver, BW Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by vernonc
Stock is approx the same price as it was during the pandemic lockdown. A bit harsh.
Definitely looks like an overreaction. I picked up some more shares to cushion hopefully cushion my previous losses if it bounces.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 9:40 am

Shares down roughly 10% this morning on Q4 profit

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/air-cana...ease-1.1885322

The company reported a $168-million profit for the three months ending Dec. 31,

Air Canada's passenger revenues hit $4.062 billion, .... about two per cent higher than the same period in 2019.
Old Apr 25, 2023, 6:46 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE. AF-Plat
Anyone daring enough to buy the stock into the coming busy travel summer season? J class flights I have been booking have been pretty full, it's full serve airline's bread and butter.

Everywhere I have travelled to has been packed with tourists. What recession?
Old Apr 25, 2023, 8:13 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by Eagle2000
Anyone daring enough to buy the stock into the coming busy travel summer season? J class flights I have been booking have been pretty full, it's full serve airline's bread and butter.

Air Canada is a credit card company that happens to fly planes. J loads are not going to have any significant bearing on their share price, IMO.
Eagle2000 likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2023, 10:31 am

Programs: Aeroplan (Silver), Air Miles, IHG Rewards (Platinum)
Agreed that flights seem to be very full. At what price (and cost) we don't know. That is the million dollar answer and the answer to the stock price. Time will tell...
Eagle2000 likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2023, 10:41 pm

Programs: AC*SE 100K

I don't have a ton, but I added a little more today because I like punching myself in the wallet and balls.
Bohemian1 and Eagle2000 like this.
Old May 5, 2023, 8:30 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE. AF-Plat
https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/air...142452900.html

Some good news for once moving the stock . Don't know why this was under yahoo sports section,lol
Old May 5, 2023, 1:23 pm

Programs: E35K, FPC Platinum
AC had a nice move today
As an "average revenue pax"- I've been travelling more, and most flights are full. I find even AC service to have stepped up a notch. I hear employees, especially FA, are still negotiating with management, i.e. a big issue has been that they are only paid for work when the plane is in the air, so if they have overnight lay over I don't believe there's any compensation for that, this was something mentioned to me on a recent flight.
I don't think business revenue with flight passes etc are back- zoom still winning for a lot of meetings I would have flown to the US for
But this stock price has been pretty suppressed. I initially bought in hoping for a quick rebound which never happened... but I think expecting 25-30$/share target within 1 year is reasonable if AC slowly keeps building J volume, fuel prices remain within expectations, and no major macro events.

I agree with what was written above- what recession??

This has been the best (worst) example of a K recovery, with steps taken to curb the top part of the K just slowing things down a bit for those already doing well, while continuing to hurt those on the bottom limb.
Overall I expect things to worsen on a macro level (more bank failures, stress in the system, US issues with debt ceilings etc), but I think AC will show some resiliency in this environment.
Eagle2000 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.