Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

What drives Air Canada's stock price?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What drives Air Canada's stock price?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2020, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Even if you're correct that the government won't let AC fail, which is probably correct, that doesn't mean shareholders won't be wiped out or massively diluted. Remember that GM and Chrysler didn't fail, but their shareholders were wiped out.

(I'm not saying AC is going to zero, just want to make sure people keep it in mind that a bailout of the company doesn't necessarily mean a bailout of the shareholders)
Actually the public would be very opposed to a bailout in which shareholders (and bondholders) would save their skin. For sreholders, counting on a govt bailout is a huge exercise in wishful thinking. Which is probably a strong rationale for AC to try to survive witought a bailout, assuming they can.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k AC 50k BA gold
United released its first quarter earnings. Not Pretty. Delta will release information next week.

I expect the only reason AC stock price is high is investors assume the Canadian Govt will give AC billions. Without an expectation of Govt Money AC stock would be a lot lower.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 3:31 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Stranger
Actually the public would be very opposed to a bailout in which shareholders (and bondholders) would save their skin.
Depends on the structure of the bailout. If it's part of a massive package of many industries and/or has a lot of goodies for individual taxpayers, like the 75% wage subsidy, the public may barely notice. If it's a very specific airline bailout, the public may be opposed, but depending on the terms, there may not be much outcry. Unlike Chrysler/GM, AC was on fire before the crisis.

For sreholders, counting on a govt bailout is a huge exercise in wishful thinking. Which is probably a strong rationale for AC to try to survive witought a bailout, assuming they can.
I do generally agree with this though, as I've said a number of times in the financial update thread.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 3:40 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Unlike Chrysler/GM, AC was on fire before the crisis.
Got that backwards?

AC wasn't an investment strategy ever, but it's been doing pretty good for a decade.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 3:55 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by RangerNS
Got that backwards?

AC wasn't an investment strategy ever, but it's been doing pretty good for a decade.
Not sure what you mean. Chrysler was sub-scale, GM had the headache of Opel, both had worried investors with debt loads and high labour costs (including pensions/post-retirement benefits) for long before the global financial crisis pushed them over the edge. AC, on the other hand, has had sustainable labour costs and been generating consistently high profits for a while.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 5:06 pm

Not sure what you mean. Chrysler was sub-scale, GM had the headache of Opel, both had worried investors with debt loads and high labour costs (including pensions/post-retirement benefits) for long before the global financial crisis pushed them over the edge. AC, on the other hand, has had sustainable labour costs and been generating consistently high profits for a while.
On fire hot and good.

I read as on fire preparing for a fire sale.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 5:08 pm

On fire hot and good.

Sorry, I can see how that may not have been entirely clear. Should have gone with my first instinct, which was to say AC was "flying, both literally and figuratively" or "soaring"
Old Apr 21, 2020, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Incuding dipping into "overfunded" pension funds and distributing to shareholders. But then Alberta did that too...
Old Apr 21, 2020, 5:40 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by vernonc
LOL. Vote of confidence ?
Historically, airlines have not been good investments. There is a long list of airlines in Canada that have gone bankrupt. Sure, there have been exceptions in specific time periods, but compared to many other industries you could make more money with less risk elsewhere. Airlines really only seem sustainable in a low interest rate and low fuel price environment.

My other rule is don't invest money you can't afford to lose. If the stock I have bought goes to zero and that means I won't be able to buy groceries next month, I should not be buying the stock.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 10:18 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Jagboi
Historically, airlines have not been good investments. There is a long list of airlines in Canada that have gone bankrupt. Sure, there have been exceptions in specific time periods, but compared to many other industries you could make more money with less risk elsewhere. Airlines really only seem sustainable in a low interest rate and low fuel price environment.

My other rule is don't invest money you can't afford to lose. If the stock I have bought goes to zero and that means I won't be able to buy groceries next month, I should not be buying the stock.
Thanks for the feedback and to the others as well. I honestly thought AC stock would go lower similar to the cruise lines, the fact that it has not seems to indicate institutional confidence that they will recover. I would not invest money unless I could afford to lose it for this kind of investment. I have modest goals - if $5K gives me $10K in three years, I would be happy.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 10:47 am

Thanks for the feedback and to the others as well. I honestly thought AC stock would go lower similar to the cruise lines, the fact that it has not seems to indicate institutional confidence that they will recover. I would not invest money unless I could afford to lose it for this kind of investment. I have modest goals - if $5K gives me $10K in three years, I would be happy.
If you think 30% annual is modest, then we have radically different ideas of what modest is.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Stranger
Incuding dipping into "overfunded" pension funds and distributing to shareholders. But then Alberta did that too...
When has AC dipped in to pension funds? That's not how it works. If a plan is sufficiently overfunded, a company can reduce or eliminate the amount it has to put in, but it's not allowed to simply take money out and do whatever it wants with it.

Doubling an investment in three years (>25% annual rate of return) is not a modest goal
Old Apr 22, 2020, 11:00 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
When has AC dipped in to pension funds? That's not how it works. If a plan is sufficiently overfunded, a company can reduce or eliminate the amount it has to put in, but it's not allowed to simply take money out and do whatever it wants with it.

Doubling an investment in three years (>25% annual rate of return) is not a modest goal
Agree for a safe high value investment. My goal for a RRSP would be 7-12% per year. For a higher risk investment like this I would certainly look for double a mutual fund type of ROI. So if my FI invests my RRSP in 'safer' mutual funds and delivers 10%, I would look for 20% - not that it would always be possible. My 'modest' term defines the entire exercise i.e. $5-10K invested for a conceivable 25-100% ROI with a possibility of losing 80% or all of the investment.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was talking about the US automobile industry... I suppose the context was not 100% clear.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 12:30 pm

Programs: E35K, FPC Platinum
Maybe:
I have speculative goals- if 5K gives me 10K at some point in the next three years (possibly tomorrow with some bailout announcement), I would be happy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.