Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Any idea what the most oversold routes are?

Question: Any idea what the most oversold routes are?

Old Feb 25, 14, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC & HH
Any idea what the most oversold routes are?

I have been reading up on Air Canada's overselling policy and can't help but wonder what routes they oversell the most often. I am guessing Rapidair are a prime target but what are some other popular oversells?
Old Feb 25, 14, 9:45 am

I would say Rapidair is only oversold during peak times. Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday mid-morning, no.
Old Feb 25, 14, 11:24 am

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by hydrogen View Post
I would say Rapidair is only oversold during peak times. Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday mid-morning, no.
Nevermind, I misread your post.

Weekend mid day is usually pretty open too, Friday evening and Sunday evening seems to have been the busiest for me. In a couple of cases I had to wait for three flights before I could get a seat on a different flight - full J fare too!
Old Feb 25, 14, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit, HH Diamond, Hyatt Glob, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by jaysona View Post
Nevermind, I misread your post.

Weekend mid day is usually pretty open too, Friday evening and Sunday evening seems to have been the busiest for me. In a couple of cases I had to wait for three flights before I could get a seat on a different flight - full J fare too!
That would make me reconsider buying a flexible fare. People complain about Aerolotto or "battlefield upgrades", but it's better than in the United States when your on a flexible first fare and can't switch flights because they've processed 10 upgrades in a 12 seat cabin on every flight at T-24.
Old Feb 25, 14, 1:16 pm

Programs: AC 75K, SPG P, CX SL
Probably YYZ-YVR, YYZ-YYC and YYZ-LHR.
Old Feb 25, 14, 1:19 pm

Programs: Currently is: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA/Marriott/IHG Plat, Hilton Gold # Used to be: AC Super Elite
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
That would make me reconsider buying a flexible fare. People complain about Aerolotto or "battlefield upgrades", but it's better than in the United States when your on a flexible first fare and can't switch flights because they've processed 10 upgrades in a 12 seat cabin on every flight at T-24.
That problem should occur less often, at least on Eewnited. I notice that their system tends to keep one F seat open until gate control. I've had cases where I've poached the last F seat huhuhuhu
Old Feb 25, 14, 1:38 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, 50K Altitude, Nexus
I've had some early morning ORDs over sold from YYZ (between 7-9), but they just push those people to mid morning.
Old Feb 25, 14, 1:40 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by ceaton View Post
Probably YYZ-YVR, YYZ-YYC and YYZ-LHR.
I'd add YYZ-FRA to that list.
Old Feb 25, 14, 2:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Any hub to hub to routes always have higher chances of overselling.

I would add YYZ-YHZ, YYZ-YEG, YYC/YEG-YVR (and reverse) and YYZ-YMM as routes that I've seen oversold or flying very full.
Old Feb 25, 14, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by maradori View Post
That problem should occur less often, at least on Eewnited. I notice that their system tends to keep one F seat open until gate control. I've had cases where I've poached the last F seat huhuhuhu
I was in something like 20A on a UA flight, where 20B was a GS member who was not to thrilled to be sitting there. The SD came over to personally apologize, and they definitely knew each other, so she clearly flew a lot. And you don't make GS with K fares.

I'm still waiting to send an email to US over how I was treated on a paid F fare when they rerouted me to AA (part of the reason was that they had given away all the seats on another flight), but I'm waiting on AA to give me a delay verification so I can submit my trip delay claim. That reminds me - I should Tweet them again.

Even on AC though - I had a situation while flying on a J fare (converted from Y flight pass) where I wanted to catch an earlier flight, but I missed it by about 5 minutes (and the concierge said I would when I called upon landing from my previous flight), but had I made it there, I doubt it would have mattered, because they'd given away the seat to an upgrader. Flexible premium fares are not very useful if there's rarely space to move into. Is T-30 too close to the flight to want to do this? I don't think so, but others would disagree. And I see the point. As someone who plays Aerolotto every now and then, I'd rather have my upgrade confirmed before boarding starts.

You can't please everyone, but when the options are pleasing a G fare hoping to get R, and pleasing a J fare, you'd think the choice would be obvious
Old Feb 25, 14, 3:20 pm

Programs: AC Super Elite, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
Even on AC though - I had a situation while flying on a J fare (converted from Y flight pass)
You were on a Y fare, with a complementary upgrade from a Latitude flight pass. Outside of AQM, and that your J seat isn't 100% guaranteed the other gotcha is that you can't same-day change from a flight you're currently in J to another one if it's Y0, even if J > 0. You need to rebook in economy, and then upgrade from there.
Old Feb 25, 14, 3:53 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy PE/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
This is one of those purely speculative posts. Flight loads shift due to weather, misconnections, stand-by scenarios, etc. Having said that and being privy to flight loads, I don't think AC oversells flights on nearly the level that many assume that they do. While this will never be an exact science, I'm of the impression that yield management tools have become very sophisticated and do a very good job.
Old Feb 25, 14, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yvr76 View Post
You were on a Y fare, with a complementary upgrade from a Latitude flight pass. Outside of AQM, and that your J seat isn't 100% guaranteed the other gotcha is that you can't same-day change from a flight you're currently in J to another one if it's Y0, even if J > 0. You need to rebook in economy, and then upgrade from there.
That's not how it works. Airport agents see it as a J fare (I had a conversation with the concierge about this). You can absolutely switch to any other flight with J1, as long as it's a valid routing.

Reservations can probably see that it came from a Y FP. Mileage credits as if it's Y. But at the airport, it's J.
Old Feb 25, 14, 4:07 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy PE/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Tales from the past....

Back in the day flight 982 (YYZ-MBJ-KIN-YYZ) operated with a 482/496 seat 747 (You wanna talk high-density??)

The no-shows on this flight were off the charts because of the then prevailing fair structure. The cost of a round-trip Jamaica ticket was far cheaper than a one way, and subsequently, Customers simply didn't use the return portion. I remember coming to operate one such cycle and the booked load was 605!! That particular flight left with 44 open seats
Old Feb 26, 14, 7:25 am

Programs: AC SEMM, AZUL DIAMANTE,GOL, Fairmont PLAT
AC 90, YYZ-GRU. Have been on this one twice a month since last fall and it is FULL.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: