Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Can you go through security a day early?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2014, 9:11 pm

Programs: AC*SE
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.1925 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Originally Posted by aircanada_loyal
There has to be a simpler way: AC should just allow a guest pass (when requested), so that non-passengers can spend the last few minutes with their loved ones, until they board the aircraft. I imagine there is probably very few people who would take advantage of this (elderly/young passengers, disabled passengers, passengers with language issues, etc...) So, if people honestly ask why they need to accompany their passengers to airside, I am sure Air Canada will oblige and agree.

On the other hand, I can see people misusing this...imagine someone living close to an airport, buying a latitude fare, clearing security, having breakfast or lunch at the MLL, and then cancelling their ticket, and going home. This is very unfair to those who are paying significant 'real' dollars to fly.
It's a CATSA issue not an AC issue. Valid examples are the Domestic MLL at YYC. If you came off a domestic flight and connect to the US, or just going straight to a transborder flight it would be nice to access the domestic MLL.

At times it's allowed if you're flight is on AC, but generally CATSA seems unhappy about it and as I understand it doesn't allow gate passes.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 9:12 pm

Programs: AC*SE
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.1925 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
Instead of buying latitude, buy a tango fare, which you can cancel within 24 hours of purchase, right up to flight time (or at least 2 hours before). So book last flight of the day (on the day of travel), and cancel as soon as you get in the lounge. Tada full refund straight to your CC.
Someone at ticketing once told me you couldn't do the 24hr refund on a Tango/Flex if you had already checked in. Not sure if this is accurate, or if you could just get unloaded, but Lat seems like the safer bet.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 9:29 pm
jbb

Programs: SQ *Gold
Originally Posted by RZR
What would be the point of this? Just curious. To spend an hour or so together in the lounge? Then leave, go back home etc....and come back the next day?
I kinda agree with the sentiment in this reply to the OP. Is there a particular reason for this?

As for booking a LAT fare and cancelling or abusing free guest passes, there is definitely scope for misuse:

http://www.ndtv.com/article/offbeat/...-lounge-477836

This gentleman in China did the equivalent every day for nearly a year just to scarf the free meal in the lounge...
Old Feb 16, 2014, 9:40 pm

Programs: AC*E35 and decreasing
Originally Posted by aircanada_loyal
There has to be a simpler way: AC should just allow a guest pass (when requested), so that non-passengers can spend the last few minutes with their loved ones, until they board the aircraft. I imagine there is probably very few people who would take advantage of this (elderly/young passengers, disabled passengers, passengers with language issues, etc...) So, if people honestly ask why they need to accompany their passengers to airside, I am sure Air Canada will oblige and agree.
That has been the case for a long time, as far as I can tell. A long time ago (10+ years), a few times that my wife was leaving with the kids, they gave me the guest pass at check-in to go to the gate with them.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 10:34 pm

Programs: Altitude E50K, WS Gold (status match)

Yes. I remember an earlier post on this forum about the "good ol' days" when you could simply visit the MLL without a ticket. The agents would simply give you a pass and you could visit the lounge anytime.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 11:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by CdnFlier

It's a CATSA issue not an AC issue. Valid examples are the Domestic MLL at YYC. If you came off a domestic flight and connect to the US, or just going straight to a transborder flight it would be nice to access the domestic MLL.
You can access the YYC Dom MLL if you are connecting transborder, just show the lounge dragon your BP and you should be fine (provided you qualify for lounge access). Done it multiple times. It's also a good time killer since checked backs routinely can take up to 45 mins on the connecting US carousel to arrive. Admit its a bit of a inconvenience to have to allow time to clear customs and security again though.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by winnipegrev
You sure can. Cancel check in once you are through security.

I wonder how long it is before AC 'flags' this type of behaviour, just from reading posts on here it seems like booking flights to access airside/lounge then cancel is becoming increasingly popular.

I could see the day where they state change fees will apply to cancelled tickets once you are airside. They currently can't do this, I asked CATSA when the boarding pass scanning came into security if airlines would now know if passengers were at the airport or not, to prevent holding flights and paging for absent customers.
Some [international] carriers essentially do this already - where the cancelation deadline is either 2 or 3 hours prior to departure on at least some tickets. Can't remember which ones - TK and Air India seem to jog my memory, but maybe only one of them. If you don't cancel within this deadline, it's treated as a no show. I think this would be a more likely scenario - and then they don't even have to determine if you're through security or not.

Also, at LHR, some airlines are participating in a program where the airline and security work to ensure people aren't running to catch flights they are late for. If you don't show up at security within X minutes of the flight, you're sent back to check in to be rebooked - no running through the airport to try and catch your flight. Don't know if AC partcipates, but was started with BA in T5 and other carriers like UA are part of it now. Of course, wouldn't stop the OPs situation, but shows that airlines and security can work together at some level.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 6:27 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
If people on this thread are taking about booking tickets they intend to cancel to go through security and access the lounge, I wonder how many would make fake reservations in order to secure an upgrade? Sort of like "holding" (by booking) three or four seats so they don't sell, and then cancelling them one or two hours before the flight. You'd really have to be an SE though to guarantee this would work. Hope I didn't give anyone any ideas.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Thank you all for the answers (this turned into a bigger discussion than I expected). And I do appreciate the answers!!

And while I really do appreciate some of the creative thinking, I will probably refrain from scamming the system as I try to be honest .

A few people did ask why I would bother - so since you want to know! We've ended up living in separate cities (YVR / YYC) for the last 18 months, and with my 115,000 mile / year domestic schedule time together is often hard to come by.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 11:39 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
A few people did ask why I would bother - so since you want to know! We've ended up living in separate cities (YVR / YYC) for the last 18 months, and with my 115,000 mile / year domestic schedule time together is often hard to come by.
She must be a great gal
Old Feb 17, 2014, 11:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

If people on this thread are taking about booking tickets they intend to cancel to go through security and access the lounge, I wonder how many would make fake reservations in order to secure an upgrade? Sort of like "holding" (by booking) three or four seats so they don't sell, and then cancelling them one or two hours before the flight. You'd really have to be an SE though to guarantee this would work. Hope I didn't give anyone any ideas.
Yes that's a brand new idea, Ted, and there are no threads on FT about people losing all their miles and being kicked out of FF programs for doing it.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 12:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Yes that's a brand new idea, Ted, and there are no threads on FT about people losing all their miles and being kicked out of FF programs for doing it.
I've seen it discussed here before, but I always assumed it was more of a joke.

I can see buying a Y fare to get into a lounge, as you can justify cancelling it ("My boss called, and said [he needs me back at work|the trip is no longer necessary]").

However, you buying a Flex fare for flight 123 and then six Business fares, and then cancelling just the business fares right at T-2, would throw up so many red flags.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 8:52 am

Reminded me of the one article of the Chinese flyer who booked first class to access the first class lounge 300 times, kept changing the departure date. When Airlines caught on and barred him from the lounge, he cancelled ticket and got full refund.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Qster
Reminded me of the one article of the Chinese flyer who booked first class to access the first class lounge 300 times, kept changing the departure date. When Airlines caught on and barred him from the lounge, he cancelled ticket and got full refund.
http://nypost.com/2014/01/29/man-use...ee-for-a-year/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.