FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Question: E190 planes, smaller overhead cabin space? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1551717-e190-planes-smaller-overhead-cabin-space.html)

yscleo Feb 13, 2014 9:47 pm

E190 planes, smaller overhead cabin space?

On the E190 planes, is there less space in the overhead bins? Just curious if there is less space for carry ons.

Thanks.

canadiancow Feb 13, 2014 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by yscleo (Post 22346054)
On the E190 planes, is there less space in the overhead bins? Just curious if there is less space for carry ons.

Thanks.

In J, the port bin has room for...well, I've put a sleeping bag in it once, and a model 787. Nothing larger. The J starboard bin fits rollers wheels first.

In Y, the bins are the same size on both sides, but a roller won't go in wheels first, so it occupies a huge part of the bin.

On December 21 (I think), in SFO, on a YVR flight, they came around gate-checking everyone's bag. Maybe they had an exemption for status/J, but I only had a backpack, so I didn't get to test that theory. I can confirm that theory tomorrow night.

Symmetre Feb 14, 2014 5:25 am

Originally Posted by yscleo (Post 22346054)

Thanks.

Less space ... compared to what?

Compared to the bins on an A320, the Embraer overheads are definitely smaller. Compared to a CRJ, they're positively cavernous.

I can fit a B&R 20-inch Baseline in the E190, although as Canadian Cow notes, when traveling in Y it has to go in sideways (i.e. douche bag style) because the bin simply isn't deep enough to swallow it wheels-first. An 18- or 19-inch bag might fit wheels-first, but it would still be a tight squeeze.

Widebody or expandable bags would probably still fit sideways, but again, it would likely be a tight squeeze.

When traveling on this aircraft, a smallish duffle or backpack tends to work best. Rollaboards just don't fit, and are particularly problematic on routes with heavy pax loads like YYZ-YYC or YYZ-YEG.

Does that help?

yscleo Feb 14, 2014 5:37 pm

Thanks for the answers. Yes I was comparing to the other "normal" or larger sized jets.

Do they ask passengers to check their carry-ons (free) often, due to less overhead space? We'll be flying yyz-mia and it's E190 planes. There's another trip we're thinking of booking and see it's also E190s.

nave888 Feb 14, 2014 10:16 pm

If the flight is full, they may make an announcement at the gate asking people to voluntarily gate check larger/rolling bags. If its not a full flight, they likely won't. From my experience, they don't usually go out and start gate checking until after boarding has begun and its clear that there isn't enough space.

canadiancow Feb 14, 2014 11:41 pm

Tonight SFO-YVR, they announced the flight was full, and asked for volunteers. They didn't force anything (this time).

HerpaYvr Feb 15, 2014 4:43 am

Yesterday i flew united up and down the west coast and every flight i was offered $150 to $200 to take a later flight or another airline because everything was oversold and they were telling people to check their roller boards.

I did fly on a brand new 737 900 and the bins were very large! very nice interior!

YOWzer Feb 15, 2014 5:17 am

I normally prefer to board last except for this plane type, since space is a premium. In my experience Y passengers like to use the space above J. On more than one occassion FAs had to take out bags to accomodate J passengers, they would then throw a fit because they either had to check the bag or put it under their seat.

yul36 Feb 16, 2014 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by HerpaYvr (Post 22352711)
Yesterday i flew united up and down the west coast and every flight i was offered $150 to $200 to take a later flight or another airline because everything was oversold and they were telling people to check their roller boards.

I did fly on a brand new 737 900 and the bins were very large! very nice interior!

If they were that oversold I bet some people were holding out for more money than that.

HerpaYvr Feb 16, 2014 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by yul36 (Post 22360690)
If they were that oversold I bet some people were holding out for more money than that.

Yes its like a game, if you blink too fast you loose out. Lots of chatter on the flights on how some people were getting like free flights as they were paying up too $400 to take the next flight. Today flying back from IST, FRA-ORD was half full 777-200, but ORD-SEA oversold!!! They were offering $250 to take a later flight.