Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Anybody's Aeroplan Miles Immune to Expiration?

Old Feb 13, 14, 8:05 am
Original Poster

I quit using Aeroplan years ago, but my few points continue to sit in the account. This makes me happy, since I can log-on and play with the award search engine to make some comparisons with availability elsewhere. However, why are my points not expiring? Anyone know?

I have friends and relatives who have been livid because they stopped their activity and lost a pile of miles. This is their fault, basically, of course.
Old Feb 13, 14, 8:37 am

Programs: SPG Gold
What does it say under your Expiration Date? nothing?

Are you resident, non-resident, or what's your scenario?
I think non-resident (or International address?) extend the inactivity period? from 1 year to maybe 3 years?

or also that it doesn't expire for Children?
Old Feb 13, 14, 8:45 am
Original Poster

At the moment, jerryhung, it says they are expiring in January of 2015. It also says that they should expire after 12 months of no activity. I am living in Asia, I am not a child, and I have not used the account since about 2008, and even then it was a case of AC crediting miles to the account against my wishes, so I later had them move the miles to Mileage Plus. I have not read anything about non-Canadian residents having a longer validity period. Has anyone heard of such a thing?
Old Feb 13, 14, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by wolfman888 View Post
At the moment, jerryhung, it says they are expiring in January of 2015. It also says that they should expire after 12 months of no activity. I am living in Asia, I am not a child, and I have not used the account since about 2008, and even then it was a case of AC crediting miles to the account against my wishes, so I later had them move the miles to Mileage Plus. I have not read anything about non-Canadian residents having a longer validity period. Has anyone heard of such a thing?
It's actually outside of North America (or at least, USA falls into the same category as Canada), but yes, there's a longer validity period.
Old Feb 13, 14, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I could find no info on the AP website, but I did a web search and discovered that it is 3 years for international members. As a related issue, if my points do expire in the future, will my account become unusable? Will I be unable to log on and play with the award booking tool?
Old Feb 13, 14, 8:31 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by wolfman888 View Post
Thanks. I could find no info on the AP website, but I did a web search and discovered that it is 3 years for international members. As a related issue, if my points do expire in the future, will my account become unusable? Will I be unable to log on and play with the award booking tool?
I think your account will always exist and you can always search
When miles "expire", they just reset to 0

This is what Aeroplan says when you click on the [?] besides the 12 MONTH ACCOUNT EXPIRY
All mileage in your Aeroplan Account expires if you have not accumulated or redeemed Aeroplan Miles for a period of 12 consecutive months. Some exceptions apply: Minors are exempt until the age of 18; Aeroplan Members with Air Canada Top Tier status (i.e. Air Canada Top Tier members); CIBC Aerogold Visa Infinite, CIBC Aerogold Visa, CIBC Aerogold for Small Business and CIBC Aero Classic Visa Cardholders (as long as they are in good standing).
Old Feb 13, 14, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerryhung View Post
I think your account will always exist and you can always search
When miles "expire", they just reset to 0

This is what Aeroplan says when you click on the [?] besides the 12 MONTH ACCOUNT EXPIRY
All mileage in your Aeroplan Account expires if you have not accumulated or redeemed Aeroplan Miles for a period of 12 consecutive months. Some exceptions apply: Minors are exempt until the age of 18; Aeroplan Members with Air Canada Top Tier status (i.e. Air Canada Top Tier members); CIBC Aerogold Visa Infinite, CIBC Aerogold Visa, CIBC Aerogold for Small Business and CIBC Aero Classic Visa Cardholders (as long as they are in good standing).
Yes, so it is strange in my opinion, that in this paragraph they do not mention the 3-year rule for international members. That is why I stated earlier that I could not find the info on the site, meaning any info that would explain why my points have not expired. The paragraph above does not explain my situation. Thanks for your time jerry.
Old Feb 14, 14, 9:00 am

Programs: *S(A3), Marriott Plat, AS MVP, BA, AP, DL, KE
You can always use points.com to move your orphan AP miles

Search this Thread