FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Feb 23rd YVR --> YYZ only Business left (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1551335-feb-23rd-yvr-yyz-only-business-left.html)

Sean Peever Feb 12, 2014 8:01 pm

Feb 23rd YVR --> YYZ only Business left

Does anyone know what's happening February 23rd YVR --> YYZ?

I did manage to grab the last M fare on the 11am, but I am pretty surprised by how few seats are left. Business only except for 1 latitude seat on the 17:00 and a few Latitude on the RedEye as well.

Dorian Feb 12, 2014 8:04 pm

Almost seems impossible....

http://i.imgur.com/8bWfW41l.png

winnipegrev Feb 12, 2014 8:48 pm

Impossible! AC can never fill 458 seat planes let alone convince people to step on a 777HD! ;)

echostryk Feb 12, 2014 9:28 pm

Feb. 23rd is the end of reading week for university students. You'll note that flights YYZ-YVR/YYC are also heavily booked on the preceding weekend, which corresponds to the start of reading week.

Sean Peever Feb 12, 2014 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by echostryk (Post 22339471)
Feb. 23rd is the end of reading week for university students. You'll note that flights YYZ-YVR/YYC are also heavily booked on the preceding weekend, which corresponds to the start of reading week.

Makes sense, Thanks!

aircanada_loyal Feb 13, 2014 2:11 pm

Yes, it's the end of the reading week, or known as midterm break. But does that mean that some students are paying very expensive fares in Y, B, or M classes. Those tickets must be very expensive for them.

On a related note, do students still get discounts through Travel Cuts, and if so do those fares accrue AQM/AQS?

drvannostren Feb 13, 2014 2:50 pm

Can I ask where you got that availability map thing? Never seen it before. Does it apply to other airlines as well? Seems like a great tool and fun for me...as a nerd.

somedude3210 Feb 13, 2014 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by drvannostren (Post 22343887)
Can I ask where you got that availability map thing? Never seen it before. Does it apply to other airlines as well? Seems like a great tool and fun for me...as a nerd.

Expertflyer.com

fly_yag Feb 14, 2014 9:13 am

I ran into the same thing earlier this week trying to book a YYC-YHZ flight on the 23rd. Ended up on an ugly 12-hour YYC-YUL-YFC-YHZ odyssey but I'm hoping to get on a better routing via a same day confirmed change.

I suspect the issue is a combination of the end of reading week for university students and a popular week for family vacations with most provinces having family day on the previous Monday.

canadiancow Feb 14, 2014 9:18 am

Originally Posted by fly_yag (Post 22348320)
I ran into the same thing earlier this week trying to book a YYC-YHZ flight on the 23rd. Ended up on an ugly 12-hour YYC-YUL-YFC-YHZ odyssey but I'm hoping to get on a better routing via a same day confirmed change.

I suspect the issue is a combination of the end of reading week for university students and a popular week for family vacations with most provinces having family day on the previous Monday.

Better routing? What could be better than that? :p

I'm flying YUL-YVR (AC 183) on Feb 17, and when I booked (Y fare, more than 7 days in advance), I could only get a middle seat (at least it was a bulkhead), and it was J2 R0.

Yesterday, they upgauged to a 320, and I managed to move to an aisle seat. Today, I noticed it was Y0, because it's back to a 319. 17AF both opened up during this mess though, so I grabbed one of those :). Not that I plan on sitting that far back... But I have a suspicion quite a few people are going to be [VI]DB'd onto the later 333 flight. I imagine this is all the same reading week shenanigans.