Same day routing change

Old Feb 12, 14, 2:49 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: YYC
Programs: AC*SE, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Posts: 490
Same day routing change

I had to book a relatively last minute ticket from YYC-YHZ this morning. Unfortunately the only routing that I could get which avoided high priced latitude fares was YYC-YUL-YFC-YHZ with 2.5 hour connections in YUL and YFC. Does anybody know if I can get a same-day confirmed change for a better routing or is it just for individual flights?
fly_yag is offline  
Old Feb 12, 14, 3:05 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: YVR
Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Posts: 8,936
How last minute? There is a weather warning for YFC and YHZ for tomorrow (13th).
Dorian is offline  
Old Feb 12, 14, 3:13 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: YYC
Programs: AC*SE, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Posts: 490
Next weekend - Feb 23
fly_yag is offline  
Old Feb 12, 14, 5:34 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 30,377
Yes, a $75 SDC fee will let you reroute. You should never have a problem if there is positive space and the new routing is "more direct".

I've never tried booking a direct route and trying to SDC it into a mileage run, but I could envision an airport agent not liking that
canadiancow is online now  
Old Feb 12, 14, 5:42 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC*E50K
Posts: 309
Was once booked BOS-YUL-YYZ and offered SDC at OLCI for $75 to BOS-YYZ. Accepted, and got an extra 2 hours of sleep.

l.
lowdown is offline  
Old Feb 12, 14, 8:32 pm
  #6  
alc
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,514
OP state it is a latitude fare.. so the $75 SDC fee doesn't apply here, correct? Or the routing change is what prompt the fee, even on a latitude fare
alc is offline  
Old Feb 12, 14, 8:44 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: YEG
Posts: 3,718
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
I've never tried booking a direct route and trying to SDC it into a mileage run, but I could envision an airport agent not liking that
They don't; but concierges don't care; as long as its valid
hearna is offline  
Old Feb 12, 14, 10:40 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 30,377
Originally Posted by alc View Post
OP state it is a latitude fare.. so the $75 SDC fee doesn't apply here, correct? Or the routing change is what prompt the fee, even on a latitude fare
Actually, OP said it was the only routing that avoided Latitude fares
canadiancow is online now  
Old Feb 12, 14, 10:40 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 30,377
Originally Posted by hearna View Post
They don't; but concierges don't care; as long as its valid
Oh, then maybe I will make my way through Ottawa on Monday
canadiancow is online now  
Old Feb 13, 14, 11:51 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: YEG
Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired
Posts: 1,447
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
Oh, then maybe I will make my way through Ottawa on Monday
I have done that before.

Instead of YYZ-YEG I have paid $75 to go to YYZ-YUL-YOW-YEG.

The lounge agents have done it for me.
danapop is offline  
Old Feb 13, 14, 12:21 pm
  #11  
alc
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,514
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
Actually, OP said it was the only routing that avoided Latitude fares
Thanks, completely missed that word... somehow.
alc is offline  
Old Feb 13, 14, 2:39 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 30,377
Originally Posted by danapop View Post
I have done that before.

Instead of YYZ-YEG I have paid $75 to go to YYZ-YUL-YOW-YEG.

The lounge agents have done it for me.
I wonder if this will be a solution to booking complex flight pass routings. If it's a Y fare, I should be able to do it for free
canadiancow is online now  
Old Sep 9, 17, 2:14 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Programs: AC SE
Posts: 2,434
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
Yes, a $75 SDC fee will let you reroute. You should never have a problem if there is positive space and the new routing is "more direct".
I just called AC with a question about this and got the opposite answer (SDC with re-route = fare difference will apply). But as we all know, I'm better off trusting cow rather than AC.
capedreamer is offline  
Old Sep 10, 17, 8:09 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Programs: AC SE
Posts: 2,434
Originally Posted by capedreamer View Post
I just called AC with a question about this and got the opposite answer (SDC with re-route = fare difference will apply). But as we all know, I'm better off trusting cow rather than AC.
Hmm...getting told SDC does not apply by several agents. Various reasons given: can't be different routing, can't involve another airline on the different routing, etc.

Are they right or should I continue trying to HUCA?
capedreamer is offline  
Old Sep 10, 17, 1:27 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 30,377
Other airlines cannot be involved.

If you book SFO-YYZ-LHR on AC and then LHR-MUC on LH, the SFO-LHR component can be SDC'd, but must remain on AC metal.

You can't touch anything after LHR though.

Routing changes are fine. I've done SFO-YYZ to SFO-YVR-YYZ. I've done SFO-YVR-YYZ to SFO-YYZ (this one is really common, as people generally want to switch to the most direct route).

On January 1, in LHR, I wanted to switch LHR-YYZ-SFO to LHR-YVR-SFO (less time in a recliner), but LHR-YVR was full. Otherwise, they would have been quite willing.
canadiancow is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread