Wiki Posts
Search

Cancel or Change AE Reward

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2014, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM

Greeting all, I made a AE booking last year for my inlaws. They flew YVR-PEK-YNT back in October and are scheduled to return this April via YNT-ICN-TPE-YVR. The reward was J Class. My wife is worried about all the connections especially in different countries as her parents are elderly and are not seasoned travellers so has asked me to re-route them more direct even if its in economy.

Question is: Do I pay the AE change fee and get a refund for the difference in points and re route YNT-PEK-YVR which is far quicker but in economy or should I just cancel the second part of the reward and rebook. I can get them a flight on CA for only around $50 fees opposed to over $400 if I fly them AC.

Also, If i try and get them in J class, do I have to make up the difference considering that when I first booked the flights it was 125,000 points each and now its 150,000?

Cheers
Old Feb 9, 2014, 9:48 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Please read the terms and conditions.

36. Unused and valid flight rewards may be refunded and miles reinstated up to 22 days before the scheduled date of departure. A C$90.00 fee plus taxes per ticket will apply. This fee is non-refundable.

Your reward is not "unused", therefore cannot be refunded. You pay $90+tax change fee, change the return flight to whatever, [edit]and NO refund of YQ(surcharges)[edit]

>> do I have to make up the difference considering that when I first booked the flights it was 125,000 points each and now its 150,000?

No, if it remains an "Asia 1" reward.

Last edited by beep88; Feb 10, 2014 at 2:12 pm
Old Feb 9, 2014, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Beep. Had read the TC but thought that since I still had the return leg unused that it counted as refundable. If I downgrade to economy in the change, would they refund the difference in points?
Old Feb 9, 2014, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by Chowtime
Thanks Beep. Had read the TC but thought that since I still had the return leg unused that it counted as refundable. If I downgrade to economy in the change, would they refund the difference in points?
No you don't get any points back or refund of any YQ. If you are going to downgrade to Y, you might as well look for the long haul segment on AC as you can standby for J at the airport, though you will be at or near the bottom of the upgrade waitlist.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 11:02 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG Plat,
Since you'd only save them one connection, I'd wonder if it's worth changing.

I've booked flights for my dad and requested wheelchair service for assistance in getting around the terminal(s). This has been an easier way to get him from gate-to-gate, and less of a worry when it comes to navigating a new airport.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Somedude, Never thought of that. My father in law does have a bum knee for real. Would they bring him to the connection gates as well? The YNT-ICN leg is with Asiana and then ICN-TPE-YVR is with EVA. Would Asiana bring him to the EVA gate or would EVA get him from the Asiana gate or do they even do that?

Thanks again.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 6:42 am

Are they non-English speaking? Do they have real mobility problem?

I personally would not abuse the system by requesting wheelchair service if there is not a bona fide need for it.

However, I would call both OZ and BR to ask them to make a note in the file that your parents-in-law are elderly (non-English speaking if applicable) and will require assistance to transfer from OZ to BR at ICN and then BR to BR at TPE.

I assume that your parents-in-law are Chinese and Mandarin speaking. So TPE should not be any problem unless the connection is very tight.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 9:58 am

Programs: Hilton Hhonors Diamond

Has there been a Sched change since you booked? If so, you May be able to change flights without paying a fee.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 2:19 pm

I don't consider it abuse of the system when wheelchair/cart services are typically advertised for disabled/elderly/pregnant. OP stated that his inlaws were elderly and also mentioned his F-I-L's bum knee. A perfectly reasonable use of the services IMO.

The service is typically provided by the airport itself rather than the airline when I've had to request it for my dad. However, I get it noted on the reservation that assistance is needed. When checking in, the agent sees the assistance request and confirms it.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA Gold, *G
Originally Posted by somedude3210
I don't consider it abuse of the system when wheelchair/cart services are typically advertised for disabled/elderly/pregnant. OP stated that his inlaws were elderly and also mentioned his F-I-L's bum knee. A perfectly reasonable use of the services IMO.

The service is typically provided by the airport itself rather than the airline when I've had to request it for my dad. However, I get it noted on the reservation that assistance is needed. When checking in, the agent sees the assistance request and confirms it.
This. Just make sure the connections aren't too tight and the assistance should be able to handle it for them.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 11:38 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. System will not be abused. Part of my concern was that father in law is elderly and has a bum knee making for very slow mobility. The connections are quite tight being less than 1:20. Not sure if they will have to retrieve luggage in ICN and then re-check etc. I don't know what to do if they missed a flight. This will only be the second time flying international in their lives.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 10:41 am

I've only made an international-international transit at ICN once, but it wasn't a lengthy process. No need to claim bags and re-check them as they're tagged through. The slowest part of the transit for me was going through transfer security which really wasn't that long.

When with wheelchair assistance it's common to get expedited security check and going to/near front of the line, so the whole transfer should be pretty quick.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

Will they be tagged through even though they are flying YNT-ICN with OZ and then the rest of the trip is with BR?

Thanks
Old Feb 11, 2014, 10:02 pm

*A to *A should not have any issues. If there are checked bags they should be thru checked to destination.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.