Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Reverting to previous database for a "much safer" take off???

Old Feb 7, 14, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ACAlt,SPG,MR

Sitting on the Tarmac at DEN (AC1038) and just now the captain came on the PA and let us know (which I appreciate in general) that today AC has rolled out a new "database for this aircraft" (E90). They were having trouble inputting the data for take off so we will have to park for 15 mins while they "roll back to the previous database for a much safer takeoff".

I am certain this was just an awkward phrasing (sounded like a francophone accent) but I thought it was kind of funny.

It did make me wonder about AC IT and if they actually interact with equipment...

Much safer takeoff in 3 minutes! Wish us luck

Last edited by MrMacko; Feb 9, 14 at 1:36 pm
Old Feb 7, 14, 4:04 pm

I think the day AC IT touches anything on the flight deck would be the day that we would all boycott AC. They cannot run a website let alone an aircraft!

Originally Posted by MrMacko View Post
Sitting on the Tarmac at DEN (AC1078) and just now the captain came on the PA and let us know (which I appreciate in general) that today AC has rolled out a new "database for this aircraft" (E90). They were having trouble inputting the data for take off so we will have to park for 15 mins while they "roll back to the previous database for a much safer takeoff".

I am certain this was just an awkward phrasing (sounded like a francophone accent) but I thought it was kind of funny.

It did make me wonder about AC IT and if they actually interact with equipment...

Old Feb 7, 14, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Plat
So... firmware updates for planes?!
Old Feb 7, 14, 5:11 pm

Programs: E35K, *Silver, WS Gold,VIA Premier, VIPorter, Previous E50K *G
similarly on AC 454 [E90] YYZ-YOW it was delayed as the pilots had to "check the physical tanks for fuel", as the fuel indicator was broken. Not the most comforting of an announcement.
Old Feb 7, 14, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
Sitting on the Tarmac at DEN (AC1078) and just now the captain came on the PA and let us know (which I appreciate in general) that today AC has rolled out a new "database for this aircraft" (E90). They were having trouble inputting the data for take off so we will have to park for 15 mins while they "roll back to the previous database for a much safer takeoff".

As someone who works with databases, I don't think that's awkward phrasing at all.

It's a little worrisome, but not akward
Old Feb 7, 14, 8:47 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
One of the pilot lurkers will probably chime in, but I would guess that it probably has to do with the switch from paper to I-pad documentation, where previously an update
would be removing and inserting a page in the manual, now it must be done via
software updates.
Old Feb 8, 14, 8:43 am

Programs: AC E35K

I am sure that AC IT has nothing to do with AC Flight Operations .

It sounds like the pilot was talking about the navigation database also known as "nav data". Every 28 days, so 13 times a year, new nav data comes out updating waypoints, airways and terminal procedures. The nav data is important as it allows the pilots to enter in the route from the flight plan. In this case, one of the waypoints or terminal procedures was probably not being accepted by the flight management system so the pilots asked dispatch to release them under a MEL (Minimum Equipment List) for the current flight. On arrival in YUL, maintenance would probably update the database. This is fine as in most cases there are only a few changes between nav data cycles. Curiously enough, the MEL mandates that there is a garbage bag in the flight deck and an ashtray in lavatories - missing either of these items means the flight can not go.

Originally Posted by PilotTobe View Post
similarly on AC 454 [E90] YYZ-YOW it was delayed as the pilots had to "check the physical tanks for fuel", as the fuel indicator was broken. Not the most comforting of an announcement.
Again, under MEL's there are a lot of items that can be deferred.

Originally Posted by IluvSQ View Post
One of the pilot lurkers will probably chime in, but I would guess that it probably has to do with the switch from paper to I-pad documentation, where previously an update
would be removing and inserting a page in the manual, now it must be done via
software updates.
Not 100% but I think the Embraer's are still using paper charts.

Hopefully this helps and you can read through the jargon.

Thanks Nehal
Old Feb 8, 14, 8:56 am

Programs: AC S100K
I've been on an E90 before that pulled off the runway to be "rebooted".

Software is like a hot dog. If you want to enjoy it, don't ask how it's made.
Old Feb 8, 14, 9:52 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by BlueMilk View Post

I like the hot dog analogy.

E75/E90 used to have a lot more problems that way--back when they were first introduced I can remember pulling over for a reboot many times--I would guess maybe as high as 25% of the time. They have been very much more reliable lately.
Old Feb 8, 14, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond

Maybe bad software

I'd like to think my code is more like a hamburger. A beef burger. A little piece of myself
Old Feb 8, 14, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Rebooting the plane used to happen all the time on 320s twenty years ago.

Search this Thread