Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada seeks ways to boost revenue, cut costs as C$ falls

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada seeks ways to boost revenue, cut costs as C$ falls

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2014, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
I've seen airlines jack up prices and drop it back down to pre-jacked levels. Plays with the minds of consumer that they should of and could of booked.. voila, the opportunity presents itself again to book the flight.
Happens all the time with all airlines and depends on how they think the flight will sell and what days of the week you are booking. I suspect he was referring to the announced general increases and the sudden price differential overnight. The price will drop again if the seats remain empty despite what Calin says.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 5:39 am

Programs: AC*SE,MM
Originally Posted by Dorian
AC spies watch this board like mofo's.

Interesting watching various "tips" get wiped out when other private "tips" are still alive to this day. So obvious.
Well, here's a message for the spies:

It'll be a cold day in July before I spend $4200 pp r/t to go PE to Japan, and getting my chain pulled is just causing me to rethink the whole trip. They may well have lost my business by the time they get around to restoring the original price, if that's the game.

Last edited by ensco; Feb 6, 2014 at 5:53 am
Old Feb 6, 2014, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by tracon
Why do these two CEO's seem caught off guard?
They had plenty of warning.
AC hedged CAD/USD. Who said they were caught off guard?
Old Feb 6, 2014, 11:12 am
Original Poster

If that's the case, forward guidance should be offered in order to brag about their skills.
Rather they are using this as an excuse to plead poverty.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by TheGreatestX
Ok, Not a "surcharge" and Not WS Vacations, but :

WestJet told analysts Tuesday that it increased fares by two per cent last week in response to the falling Canadian dollar

(From Canadian Press, Wed Feb 5)
Old Feb 6, 2014, 3:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Changed a US$20 bill at Costco food kiosk yesterday, and basically received a free ice cream cone, with a Cdn$20 bill in my jeans.

Has the dollar really fallen that much?
Old Feb 6, 2014, 7:27 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by shawneve
The could add a 'Currency Volatility Surcharge' and blame it on the dollar.
Not only will they get extra revenue, they can exempt it from discounts, and force AP to collect it for them on rewards as well. Win win all around
And this will only go up and up. When Cad$ weakens, they increase the surcharge because fuel costs go up. When Cad$ strengths, they increase the surcharge because fewer Americans buy AC. When Cad$ stays, they increase the surcharge because they need a reason to increase. Heck, they didn't need any reason to increase, what am I thinking.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 7:44 pm

If that's the case, forward guidance should be offered in order to brag about their skills.
I'm not following? What are you saying?
CR is on record saying they hedged but admitted they didn't see the drop going this deep, this quick (like many of us in the game). Worth noting that Annual US sales of ~$1.25B will also help soften the blow
Rather they are using this as an excuse to plead poverty.
Guess we'll see how much poverty they plead Wednesday on the Q4 call, won't we?
Old Feb 6, 2014, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by CloudsBelow

Guess we'll see how much poverty they plead Wednesday on the Q4 call, won't we?

I guess it will be a bit difficult to plead poverty if the numbers are good. So then if all looks rosy, Calin will look rather cynical pleading for fare increases. I suspect we'll see a ton of spin...
Old Feb 6, 2014, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by sp4294
I guess it will be a bit difficult to plead poverty if the numbers are good. So then if all looks rosy, Calin will look rather cynical pleading for fare increases. I suspect we'll see a ton of spin...
Can someone link where Calin is pleading poor?
Westjet and AC have introduced fare increases recently. Are companies supposed to stop driving toward top-line increases once they're profitable?

We all agree paying more for anything sucks. But, AC, Westjet, Delta etc are allowed to maximize their profit, right?
Old Feb 6, 2014, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by sp4294
I guess it will be a bit difficult to plead poverty if the numbers are good.
The numbers to be reported are of Q4 2013. The Canadian dollar has fallen since then, hence the concern now.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 8:37 pm

Westjet and AC have introduced fare increases recently. Are companies supposed to stop driving toward top-line increases once they're profitable?

We all agree paying more for anything sucks. But, AC, Westjet, Delta etc are allowed to maximize their profit, right?
Perhaps using OP's descriptive is not the best, but the implication is understood, no? Especially when Calin admits that AC has a hedge (good for them) which buffers them from fluctuations somewhat. Let's be clear: it's a perfect excuse to hike prices. My point is that public perception may not be sympathetic, but given current load factors he can certainly do what he wants.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 10:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold

Fare fluctuations is fair enough. Covering more cost base with increased taxes and fees is an abuse of loopholes Canadian law allows.

Generally, the entire travel industry is seeing higher demand this year. Demand for travel is high.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 10:22 pm

Programs: AC*SE,MM
Originally Posted by ensco
I have to laugh. Overnight they jacked the price of a roundtrip to Haneda in PE that I was about to book ... by 20%! On flights where the seat map shows that not a single seat has yet been sold.
In the spirit of fairness, I should report that they dropped this fare back to where it was within 24 hours.

Bizarre thing to do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.