Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: What would you do: YYZ-MEL?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: What would you do: YYZ-MEL?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2014, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E
What would you do: YYZ-MEL?

I need to get to Melbourne in a few weeks and will have to suffer in coach (client won't cover T+ fares, so no hope of using my eUps ) and I'm hoping to get some recommendations from the group here who have flown to Australia in coach. Here are the options I'm considering:

1. Fly Tango fare on AC (YYZ-YVR-SYD-MEL) - only get 50% AQMs but I can use the lounges (I am SE)

2. Fly on UA (YYZ-SFO-SYD-MEL) - get 100% miles (since it's before the April 1st changes) and I can use the lounges, but I'm guessing the AC hard product is better than the UA hard product in coach (?) So is 50% miles worth suffering in a UA seat for 15 hours? Or is it not that much worse?

3. Fly on Qantas (YYZ-LAX-MEL) - get no usable miles (I don't collect AA or Qantas miles and can't see myself doing so in the future), but it saves me a connection point. I also won't get any lounge access with this one, however, I believe Qantas has a superior hard product in coach (?)

I have NEXUS, so transiting via the US is not an obstacle.

All three options are around the same price - any recommendations?

Thanks!
Old Jan 31, 2014, 2:43 pm

Programs: Asiana Diamond+, Qantas Gold, Virgin Gold
First off, how badly do you need the miles? I'm assuming you're not worried about maintaining status if you're willing to give up 50%. It's a fair bit of mileage, but...

UA 747-metal is not going to be pleasant. That's a long way to go. If you have your own entertainment, however, that you can keep charged for a decent amount of time, it might not be so bad. I wouldn't personally give up 50% of the miles for things like food. However, ACs 777-300ER (lower density, as on this route) is by far the most comfortable in coach I've ever flown.

I wouldn't fly Qantas over AC, simply because of the aircraft type and though connections aren't a treat, lounge access helps.

If it were me, all things considered, I'd go with AC.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 2:58 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
I would go AC as well and even though "client won't cover T+ fares, so no hope of using my eUps", I might consider paying the additional myself. I have done this in the past when client wouldn't cover First Class or higher econo fares and I personally paid difference between Y and F regularly or Tango and Flex (Tango Plus). Depends what you need out of all this. AC planes in the back are quite comfortable (I actually flew in the back for the first time since the early 2000s in December from Chile). As long as I have an aisle seat and some entertainment, I can endure the throw it at you service, airplane food etc etc. Having an empty seat next to you does help though. But as a SE, if you can swing the upgrade, in a similar situation, I would pay the difference, even if it is a $1000 or so (for status miles and possibility of upgrades). If J is already low availability or zeroed out, I might rethink but likely would still go with Flex.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Unfortunately, T+ is more than $2000 extra - double the Tango fare! (if it was less, I might have considered paying out of pocket to potentially upgrade).
Old Jan 31, 2014, 3:18 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by navigator4309
ACs 777-300ER (lower density, as on this route) is by far the most comfortable in coach I've ever flown.
AC does NOT normally fly the 777-300 on this route. YVR-SYD is a 777-200LR route
Old Jan 31, 2014, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
The 747 will not be pleasant in economy minus.
They are not switching it to a 777 until April 1.

AC Y will be pretty brutal too, so, how badly do you want the miles?

If you can pay for economy plus on the long flights, and dont care about IFE - it will be better than AC Y.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

I don't care about the miles (I've stopped chasing status on AC and once I lose my SE status on March 1st, I'm assuming it will be hard for me to use my existing miles). I just thought that if UA Y was not too bad, then I might as well get something more for the same price. (But it sounds like UA Y is not worth the extra miles).

I looked into E+ on the UA flights, but they only had middle seats left - I definitely can't do the long flight in a middle seat, even if the pitch is better.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 7:16 pm

Programs: AC E50K
I would suggest YYZ-LAX (AC) LAX-AKL-MEL (NZ). Changing plane at SYD is no fun. Need to get from International to domestic (far away). AKL NZ lounge is nicer that AC/UA at SYD/MEL.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Spot planes
I would suggest YYZ-LAX (AC) LAX-AKL-MEL (NZ). Changing plane at SYD is no fun. Need to get from International to domestic (far away). AKL NZ lounge is nicer that AC/UA at SYD/MEL.
Actually, a very good point - if you arrive on AC and want to connect to MEL - it will require a terminal change!

At least with UA, you dont change terminals. And if mileage connection is not an issue - the NZ route is great.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 7:31 pm

Programs: AC75 MM
What would you do: YYZ-MEL?

if you're not bothered about earning miles, how about using your SE privileges and IKKing yourself a J ticket and expensing the fees (plus revenue syd-mel)?
Old Jan 31, 2014, 8:13 pm

Programs: AC E50K
Originally Posted by rankourabu
At least with UA, you dont change terminals.
UA SYD-MEL is combing the UA flights from LAX and SFO. The plane from SFO will fly SYD-MEL. If using UA, better YYZ-SFO (UA/AC) then SFO-SYD-MEL
Old Jan 31, 2014, 8:16 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by Spot planes
Agree SYD is pretty bad when it comes to INT to DOM transfers, it would make LAX look good

NZ also fly's YVR-AKL a couple times a week, so you could route YYZ-YVR-AKL-MEL.

YVR-AKL would be on a 772 which has pretty decent Y, then AKL-MEL would be on a 77W. Which with you *G status, would allow to select a premium economy seat for free (see here). As NZ doesn't sell it on a Tasman, so lets gold members to select it for free!
Old Jan 31, 2014, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Agree SYD is pretty bad when it comes to INT to DOM transfers, it would make LAX look good

NZ also fly's YVR-AKL a couple times a week, so you could route YYZ-YVR-AKL-MEL.

YVR-AKL would be on a 772 which has pretty decent Y, then AKL-MEL would be on a 77W. Which with you *G status, would allow to select a premium economy seat for free (see here). As NZ doesn't sell it on a Tasman, so lets gold members to select it for free!
I've only done the SYD transfer once and I agree that it was painful. How can I get more information on the free premium economy seat with *G status? Do you have a link to that privilege?

I'm very intrigued with the idea of flying through AKL...
Old Jan 31, 2014, 8:31 pm

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
I can confirm that QF has an awesome Y product. I love the hot chocolate service, perfect to put you to sleep after a meal, AC do not even offer that in J. To put it in context, I would say QF as was as far ahead of AC as AC was ahead of UA.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 8:45 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by pxy_a
I've only done the SYD transfer once and I agree that it was painful. How can I get more information on the free premium economy seat with *G status? Do you have a link to that privilege?

I'm very intrigued with the idea of flying through AKL...
If you do a dummy booking on airnz.co.nz for AKL-MEL and enter you AC number. It will unlock the Frequent Flyer seating (In yellow).

Also see here, NZ uses the same policy for *G
http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/frequ...-flyer-seating

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.