Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC 880 YYZ-CDG observation - flame free por favor ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2014, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50

I'd ask that this not be flamed or used as target practice.

I'm curious about something.

Even as a lowly E50K until March makes me an E75, I was surprised on Monday (27) that my upgrade didn't clear. I've had a pretty good track record in the last 24 months.

My reason for being surprised was that the lounge was pretty much empty the entire night, yet Business Class was completely full. Usually if it's teeming with people, it's a good barometer. Not this time.

The passenger load in Y was the lowest I've ever seen on this or any other AC flight in the last three or four years. I counted about 50 people - no stretch in numbers - and that was it.

I'm wondering if on this route, considered 'upgradeable' by many, was simply loaded with many who are burning miles and getting reward tickets at the lower level before the new levels, surcharges and totals are in. Didn't see a lot of SE100K's on suitcases as I usually do.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 12:09 pm

Programs: various
Who knows nowadays with AC. Maybe an executive AC staff convention in Paris and they took up the J cabin......

I was on AC849 this week and it had 12 empty J seats - and quite a few that were in J were clearly AC staff on a shopping spree (deduced by the interaction with crew and ground staff at YYZ)

I've kinda given up looking for any form of consistency. Currently looking for a latitude fare in April on a specific flight (YYZ-LHR) - J is empty - and no R space.......?

It seems they are doing everything in their power to make me go somewhere else.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 12:17 pm
SYM

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by YYZFlyboy
Who knows nowadays with AC. Maybe an executive AC staff convention in Paris and they took up the J cabin..
Didn't want to be the first to start with random speculation but now that someone else has - advance teams headed to Sochi?

J cabins to Beijing were filled with athletes and team members in the weeks before the 08 games - not sure if these were courtesy upgrades or a formal policy.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 2:24 pm

Programs: AC*100K MM, HHonors Diamond
Just came back on 883... J cabin only had 12 and my upgrade cleared at t-7. Thank goodness because my tv stopped working after an hour so I just switched to another pod.
Y cabin only had 80 according to SD.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 3:47 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
It's just one of those rare periods typical for this time in January. J/C is
heavy > full while the back is light > near empty. Enjoy the space while you can, it's only short lived.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 3:52 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
It's just one of those rare periods typical for this time in January. J/C is
heavy > full while the back is light > near empty. Enjoy the space while you can, it's only short lived.
Possibly - or maybe people are starting to wake up to AC's shenanigans......
Old Jan 29, 2014, 3:56 pm

If AC could fill their premium cabin, wouldn't they be happy? That is, if they didn't fill it with non-revs.

If AC filled the entire J cabin and had an Y cabin empty, they'd still probably make money on that flight.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 4:21 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Uh huh. It's simply 3rd week of January syndrome.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 4:23 pm

Uh huh. It's simply 3rd week of January syndrome. Probably why AF, LH and others cut frequency.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SYM
Didn't want to be the first to start with random speculation but now that someone else has - advance teams headed to Sochi?

J cabins to Beijing were filled with athletes and team members in the weeks before the 08 games - not sure if these were courtesy upgrades or a formal policy.
It's a good call. I am a bit of CBC TV Zombie and I didn't see anyone noticeable. They could be producers. I heard Andi Petrillo quoting a YYZ-AMS-DME airport run there, and DME-CDG-YYZ on her return from Sochi when she was on radio in Toronto last week.

Last edited by chaptwo; Jan 29, 2014 at 4:42 pm Reason: updating info
Old Jan 29, 2014, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Heck, maybe they are all last second nominees of SEs burning up some eUps? Could be a zillion reasons.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 9:16 pm

Programs: AC E; Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by SYM

I remember that they gave all participants in the Vancouver Olympics and Paraolympics Elite status (back when it meant something).
Old Jan 30, 2014, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

thanks

Appreciate all the answers. Managed to clear my upgrade for my return.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by DaveTO
I remember that they gave all participants in the Vancouver Olympics and Paraolympics Elite status (back when it meant something).
And here I thought that when I was on flight that both Syd the Kid and Alex Bilodeau were also on, that AC UG'd them for their Gold Medal achievement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.