Wiki Posts
Search

Domestic to US at YYC

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2014, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: E50K
Domestic to US at YYC

How long would it take to get from a domestic AC flight (on a CRJ) to a US-bound AC flight? Is there a quick way to get to the US area?

I need to get from Winnipeg to Los Angeles in June; the only routing that gives me the time I need for a meeting in Winnipeg, and gets me to LAX that night, allows 50 minutes from one plane to the other. That seems too tight.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by DaveObee
How long would it take to get from a domestic AC flight (on a CRJ) to a US-bound AC flight? Is there a quick way to get to the US area?

I need to get from Winnipeg to Los Angeles in June; the only routing that gives me the time I need for a meeting in Winnipeg, and gets me to LAX that night, allows 50 minutes from one plane to the other. That seems too tight.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Carry-on with Nexus, go for it. Carry-on without Nexus, maybe. Checked bags without Nexus, good luck.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 4:17 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA Platinum, SPG Platinum, National Emerald Elite
Domestic to US at YYC

I think a lot of it would have to do with what time of day it is... Especially if you don't have Nexus. I've seen the line up become ridiculous on Friday / Saturday mornings and Friday evenings. I think there are a lot of Americans going home from a business trip on those flights and it can cause a bit of a backlog.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 6:59 am

50 mins through YYC can happen, on perfect weather day and no checked bags.

The best time I managed 1 year ago was 40 mins, mid morning, 1 checked bag, I got the gate as they where boarding.

YYC remains worst airport in Canada to transit through to USA, domestic to USA baggage system horrible, distance needed to cover long, security ... well poor and slow
Old Jan 29, 2014, 7:28 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
I would never attempt this routing without Nexus. Not if you care if you make it to LAX that day. As others have observed, clearing customs in Calgary can be *horrible*. Or it might be OK. But it seems semi-random, and lines can be over an hour long if you dont have Nexus. Seems like a bad bet to make; I am surprised AC allows that short a time in YYC.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: E50K
Thanks for the feedback. The flight would be on a Friday evening, a bad time.

It looks like Delta through MSP would be the way to go, because there is a later flight if I misconnect. Or, I might come to my senses and blow off the conference in LA.

Thanks again. I appreciate the advice I get here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.