Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Is there a worse airline than Air Canada? Air Canada Sucks

Old May 26, 02, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Oh Lord, let me count the ways Air Canada sucks. I don’t think I have enough time to write them all down.

AC is quite possibly the worst airline on the planet.

AC would be out of business if Canada allowed competition and did not protect this poor excuse for an airline by granting it virtual monopoly status.

The term customer service does not exist anywhere at AC.

Given a chance, competition will put AC out of business.

Simply stated, AIR CANADA SUCKS.
Old May 26, 02, 10:03 am

Programs: AF F+ Rouge / Flying Ash®
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I don’t think I have enough time to write them all down.</font>
And I guess you also didn't have enough time to scroll down 9 lines to the Air Canada forum in which your post would perhaps be more on topic?
Old May 26, 02, 10:10 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by blairvanhorn:
And I guess you also didn't have enough time to scroll down 9 lines to the Air Canada forum in which your post would perhaps be more on topic?</font>
Well, it might be on topic there but it still would be juvenile, meaningless dribble.
Old May 26, 02, 10:10 am

It is ok Blairvanhorn.... we already know how bad AC can be...

Old May 26, 02, 10:39 am
Suspended

While I haven't flown AC or even read much about it in the appropriate forum, it does have the third most posting of the airlines on FT (after UA and AA) so my guess is that there are some good things about AC.
Old May 26, 02, 11:30 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM MR Platinum, HH Diamond, SPG Gold,
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by drtravels:
While I haven't flown AC or even read much about it in the appropriate forum, it does have the third most posting of the airlines on FT (after UA and AA) so my guess is that there are some good things about AC.</font>
Although in general, a lot of posting activity implies that folks have some complaints to get off their chests!

Old May 26, 02, 6:43 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

As much as I am against some of the changes that Aeroplan has made to the frequent flyer program this year, I just cannot agree with the statement that "Air Canada Sucks".

GiveMeATicket4AnAirplane, If you actually took time to read the AC forum or even fly them before making the comments you've made above (and you've posted the exact same thing in the Mileage Run forum), you would discover that many employees at AC do try very hard to make our travel experience a good one. I have to admit that management at AC is screwed up but it looks like things are starting to turn around quickly these days. I've never had any big problems with AC in terms of the actual travel experience.

It's one thing to tell us about a bad experience you've had with them so we could discuss about it and it's quite another to say things like you did above.

As for your original question, I am sure everyone would agree that there are worse airlines out there than AC.

Let's be fair.
Old May 26, 02, 6:55 pm

I was never a big fan of the "Blanket Statement" either. I'll have to agree with you there Empress. If GMAT4AA would've qualified his/her statement by saying something like this:

AC sucks because blah..blah..blah....

I might've given it a little more credo.
Old May 26, 02, 7:05 pm

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, Priority Club Plat, Starwood Lifetime Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by GiveMeATicket4AnAirplane:

AC is quite possibly the worst airline on the planet.
</font>
Quite a master of exaggeration. Believe me, for those who have done business in remote Russian, African or Asian locations, AC doesn't come close to being the worst.....
Old May 26, 02, 7:29 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Rewards Gold, Fairmont President Club Platinum
I agree with Empress' comments - although there may be some problems with AC - there are many good points with them, as well.

Since the topic is asking the question about other airlines felt by the FT audience to be undesirable (albeit in comparison with AC), I would like to know your opinion of other US or foreign airlines that would be considered undesirable to fly on.
Old May 26, 02, 8:47 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold
My favorite AC story is the time I had trouble with a reservation I made online. I called AC customer service assistance. When I told the lady what happened, she said, "That's what you get for doing it yourself!"
Old May 26, 02, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA Peon - Hilton Gold - UA Pond Scum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Snoopy:
Quite a master of exaggeration. Believe me, for those who have done business in remote Russian, African or Asian locations, AC doesn't come close to being the worst.....</font>

HEY - You don't have to go to any remote areas to find the heights of airline suckiness - ever flown United?

------------------
UAL free since the last millennium - and planning to stay that way!
Old May 26, 02, 10:53 pm

Although the initial post on this thread is a sweeping generalisation, I can see some would think that Air Canada is only where they are today by virtue of circumstance, and not owing to their products or services. They are a sub-standard carrier, that has a domestic monopoly and the regulatory weight of a G8 nation behind it. So with all this going for them, why are they losing money? It is obvious why they are losing money on their domestic services when WestJet is turning a profit.

Every step of the way they are below-par. Their international seats, in all classes, are out of date. They have mediocre food and beverages (although they are attempting to improve in some areas), crew do not have as thorough premium service training compared to other international carriers, and customer service is miles behind WestJet and other small Canadian carriers. Their fleet is a hodge-podge collection of aircraft ranging from the ultra-modern, to some that are in need of major overhaul to stay in the air. They have expensive staff that deliver cheap service. But credit where credit's due - some staff are trying very hard to please customers, but without encouragement from management to do so, it may not become any more than a bunch of staff who happen to beleive in their job a lot more than the majority of their colleagues. Perhaps they need a profit sharing scheme or something, then all they'd need are profits...
Old May 27, 02, 12:12 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Snoopy:
Quite a master of exaggeration. Believe me, for those who have done business in remote Russian, African or Asian locations, AC doesn't come close to being the worst.....</font>
Having flown a significant amount in Russia, I can confirm that most Russian carriers suck. However, most of them realize that and do not pretend to be world-class as AC does. And while the staff can be surly, they are often working under extremely difficult conditions that would have sent AC staff to the strike lines long ago.

Now there is competition, and some new Russian carriers are trying hard to improve their image.

Having seen the results of the "zero competition because our national carrier is forced to fly unprofitable routes" policy in Russia for some time (although greatly reduced in the last 5 years), today we can see the same thing happening in Canada. AirCanadaFlot!

Ron
Old May 27, 02, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Frontier 50K elite, EY silver, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, AA/UA (and CO,NW) once gold now dirt.
Yeah, I've flown Royal Nepal and, for a real experience, Lao Aviation. The latter had old Y7s; when they turned on the air-con it fogged out the cabin, like so much dry ice. Very unnerving to a first timer. They also had metal detectors at some airports in Laos, but none I saw ever worked.

Search this Thread