Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Is a Tahiti side trip practical with Aeroplan?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2014, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG Gold Elite, Marriott Rewards
Question Is a Tahiti side trip practical with Aeroplan?

[Mod note: This thread/post moved from the flame-free Information Desk forum. Thanks for contributing respectful responses.]

In the fall we are making a return trip from Canada to Japan for 4-5 weeks and are going to try extending this with a return trip NRT-AKL; all revenue flights in Y. (Originally planned as a circle trip YYZ-NRT-AKL-SYD-YYZ, we now need to stop over in Japan at the end).

We had planned on accumulating our Aeroplan points towards another trip to Europe but have been intrigued by a suggestion.

While in NZ we could potentially take a side trip to Tahiti using 25,000 AP points each. It's a ten hour return trip between AKL-PPT. Anyone ever done this, and how long to stay for to justify the flight? The side trip would cut into our time in NZ and Japan.

However, since we're in our 70s it's unlikely we'll ever have another opportunity to visit the South Pacific. We had planned on saving up our AP points to make another visit to Europe but that's easy to manage as a revenue trip in the off season!

Is this a practical or realistic idea?

Last edited by jackal; Jan 5, 2014 at 8:52 pm
Old Jan 5, 2014, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
As this is a topic about Air Canada Aeroplan points, let's try your question there so the Aeroplan experts can comment further.

jackal
Moderator, Information Desk
Old Jan 5, 2014, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by TemboOne
[Mod note: This thread/post moved from the flame-free Information Desk forum. Thanks for contributing respectful responses.]

In the fall we are making a return trip from Canada to Japan for 4-5 weeks and are going to try extending this with a return trip NRT-AKL; all revenue flights in Y. (Originally planned as a circle trip YYZ-NRT-AKL-SYD-YYZ, we now need to stop over in Japan at the end).

We had planned on accumulating our Aeroplan points towards another trip to Europe but have been intrigued by a suggestion.

While in NZ we could potentially take a side trip to Tahiti using 25,000 AP points each. It's a ten hour return trip between AKL-PPT. Anyone ever done this, and how long to stay for to justify the flight? The side trip would cut into our time in NZ and Japan.

However, since we're in our 70s it's unlikely we'll ever have another opportunity to visit the South Pacific. We had planned on saving up our AP points to make another visit to Europe but that's easy to manage as a revenue trip in the off season!

Is this a practical or realistic idea?
Did not realize NZ flight (for TN) was readily available on miles.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 1:59 am

Programs: NorthSails® | Starboard | ION
Originally Posted by sp4294
Did not realize NZ flight (for TN) was readily available on miles.
TN?

NZ operates the route a couple days a week… Not sure how available award space is.

Last edited by WindFlyer; Jan 6, 2014 at 2:09 am
Old Jan 6, 2014, 2:09 am

Programs: NorthSails® | Starboard | ION
Originally Posted by TemboOne

However, since we're in our 70s it's unlikely we'll ever have another opportunity to visit the South Pacific…
I would think you would want to spend a minimum of three days there… have a quick look around Tahiti and then on to Moorea or another island of your choosing. A week or so is preferrable, in my opinion (you get to have a couple of different island visits and experiences, etc.).

Do you have the option to extend the overall length of your trip to accommodate the time spent in French Polynesia? I understand your point about about the unlikelihood of another chance to go there… perhaps you can think about what experience you'd like from your visit there and see if the time your have allows for it?
Old Jan 6, 2014, 2:42 am

we looked at this a couple of years ago. honestly I am not sure if is worth since you will have to spend at least 6 nights there. go to Hawaii. IMO it is nicer
Old Jan 6, 2014, 9:21 am

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
The last time I checked NZ ran one flight a week on their metal with codeshares (not available for Aeroplan redemption) on Air Tahiti Nui.

It would be an expensive week as it seems the best part of Tahiti is actually in Moorea of Bora Bora. This means an paid extra flight on Air Tahiti (not Nui)

You're probably better off looking at a side trip to New Caledonia or Fiji where you can get to a resort right as soon as you get off the plane. These locations also have higher NZ flight frequencies.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 6:37 pm

Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired
My wife and I were fortunate enough to honeymoon in Bora Bora for 10 days. It was expensive but worth every penny. The air Tahiti INTRA island flights were not expensive (under 250 RT PPT TO BOB).

It is worth the money and time if you can get there. Simply paradise.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Thank you everyone!

My apologies for creating a thread and seeming to ignore the responses.

Been caught up in the weather related travel chaos up here in Canada and am now in YSB Marriott en route tomorrow or Thursday to my home in YEL.

One suggestion to everyone - at least in Canada.
Think twice about using feeder connections to get to major hubs such as YYZ.
Great to finally to get to your major hub on the way home - but a headache when you're parked hundreds of miles away and all short haul connector flights cancelled as long haul is priority.

Will go over the much appreciated suggestions then.

Thank you!
Old Jan 7, 2014, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by WindFlyer
TN?

NZ operates the route a couple days a week… Not sure how available award space is.
TN+Air Tahiti Nui - NZ operates the flights on their behalf with NZ metal.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 3:48 am

I think the only route bookable with AP to PPT is the NZ flight from AKL. AFAIk there's never J space and only limited Y.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 3:49 am
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by sp4294
TN+Air Tahiti Nui - NZ operates the flights on their behalf with NZ metal.
But can you book an AP award on that type of arrangement?
Old Jan 8, 2014, 9:20 am

Programs: Aeroplan Basic!, AAdvantage Platinum, Skymiles Platinum
having been both in NZ and French Polynesia, I would suggest spending more time in NZ and skipping Tahiti. As mentioned, Tahiti itself is not very nice, the people are not friendly and its very expensive. It is only worth it IMHO if you go fly over to Bora Bora and stay in one of those $1000+ per night overwater villas, it is gorgeous there, but far and NZ is just as beautiful I think and the people are friendlier. I'm glad I went, but be ready to spend LOTS to get the experience you see in the travel magazines.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by kwflyer
But can you book an AP award on that type of arrangement?
The flight which should be bookable with AP is NZ40. Not sure about the NZ flights operated by TN.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

This is correct

Originally Posted by yerffej201
The flight which should be bookable with AP is NZ40. Not sure about the NZ flights operated by TN.
NZ40/41 AKL-PPT-AKL are bookable in Y on Aeroplan but you need to book almost a year in advance to find space.
I believe these flights are codeshare with TN. These flights with 767s seem to operate about three times a week in the southern hemisphere spring.

Unfortunately no codeshare on TN's PPT-NRT-PPT flights.

Costs less to fly NRT-AKL and backtrack to PPT than to fly the preferred route NRT-PPT-AKL one way to connect through SYD to AC34!

Last edited by TemboOne; Jan 8, 2014 at 9:39 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.