Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC739 delayed because they forgot to fill 'er up

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2014, 12:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond

This is so ridiculous I have a hard time even believing it.

But I have a friend who was on AC739 today (Jan 2), and it was delayed something like 90 minutes because they forgot to add fuel. Or at least that's what they told the passengers...

Old Jan 3, 2014, 12:49 am

Programs: I'm a nobody everywhere
That can't be true... could it? They might be covering up for something more serious and didn't want to alarm the passengers.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 12:52 am

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Code:
Comments:
AC0739/02JAN  EQU ACA320E01
CTY TML  ARR    DEP     GRND   AIR  CABINS  J Y
YYZ       -    1825      -   05.51
SFO     2116           TOTAL TIME   YYZSFO    5.51
RMKS/DLYD DUE YYZ WXX
YYZ 1911 00:46L SFO 2210 00:54L 320 WXL AD AA
  DEP TML T1 GATE --/F61  
  ARR TML IN GATE --/-----
Old Jan 3, 2014, 1:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by teriyaki
That can't be true... could it? They might be covering up for something more serious and didn't want to alarm the passengers.
I can't imagine it's in their best financial interest to say "there is a delay because we screwed up" when they could say "there is a delay because of a safety issue". I'd be pursuing compensation for forgetting to fuel up. For a mechanical issue that delayed a flight 60-90 minutes, I might ask for food, but that's about it.

Originally Posted by D582
Code:
Comments:
AC0739/02JAN  EQU ACA320E01
CTY TML  ARR    DEP     GRND   AIR  CABINS  J Y
YYZ       -    1825      -   05.51
SFO     2116           TOTAL TIME   YYZSFO    5.51
RMKS/DLYD DUE YYZ WXX
YYZ 1911 00:46L SFO 2210 00:54L 320 WXL AD AA
  DEP TML T1 GATE --/F61  
  ARR TML IN GATE --/-----
Is WXX weather?

If so, it really makes no sense why they'd say it was for something completely under their control
Old Jan 3, 2014, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I can't imagine it's in their best financial interest to say "there is a delay because we screwed up" when they could say "there is a delay because of a safety issue". I'd be pursuing compensation for forgetting to fuel up. For a mechanical issue that delayed a flight 60-90 minutes, I might ask for food, but that's about it.

Is WXX weather?

If so, it really makes no sense why they'd say it was for something completely under their control
Too cold for the fuel people to fuel up the bird?
Old Jan 3, 2014, 3:10 am

Programs: AC SEMM; AA,DL, Hyatt and Starwood. Ex-status:SQ PPS,CSA,Hilton,AA,UA
I don't know the facts but can think up various innocent explanations, e.g.

1. Some combo of weather patterns, flight plan adjustments, and load changes mean more fuel is needed than usual (you don't "fill-er-up" a plane to full tanks if you don't need it since you use up a lot of fuel carrying the extra weight of unnecessary fuel around...)
2. Due to the cold temperatures, ground ops are slower than usual and they don't refuel quite in time
3. Chatty and folksy captain or gate agent says something like "Well, folks, they haven't yet loaded up the [extra] fuel we need to get going, so bear with us for a while longer, shouldn't be too long!"
4. Gets coded in systems as a weather delay (due to #2) but frustrated passengers walk away thinking "they forgot to fill-er-up!"
Old Jan 3, 2014, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by montrealer

1. Some combo of weather patterns, flight plan adjustments, and load changes mean more fuel is needed than usual (you don't "fill-er-up" a plane to full tanks if you don't need it since you use up a lot of fuel carrying the extra weight of unnecessary fuel around...)
2. Due to the cold temperatures, ground ops are slower than usual and they don't refuel quite in time
3. Chatty and folksy captain or gate agent says something like "Well, folks, they haven't yet loaded up the [extra] fuel we need to get going, so bear with us for a while longer, shouldn't be too long!"
4. Gets coded in systems as a weather delay (due to #2) but frustrated passengers walk away thinking "they forgot to fill-er-up!"
You fool! That's what they want you to think!

It's definitely a conspiracy! Wake up, sheeple!
Old Jan 3, 2014, 6:44 am

Programs: IHG Gold
This is so ridiculous I have a hard time even believing it.

But I have a friend who was on AC739 today (Jan 2), and it was delayed something like 90 minutes because they forgot to add fuel. Or at least that's what they told the passengers...

Well the last time I flew UA from YYZ-DEN, that's exactly what they told us when we tried to board the first flight of the day. .

Pretty pathetic when the first flight of the day for that particular aircraft is not even fuelled up to go in the morning.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 6:51 am

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
Remember Gimli
Old Jan 3, 2014, 7:54 am

Programs: AC *E/PC Gold /BW Diamond/Hertz Gold Plus/SPG Gold/Marriot Silver/ TUMI Alpha
Just saw a few days ago with my 8yo son an Episode of "Mayday" and they featured the Gimli. LOL
Old Jan 3, 2014, 10:22 am
Original Poster

I realize you don't just fill up the tanks

Either way, what they told the passengers came across as incompetence (my friend who was on the flight has his PPL, so he's not unfamiliar with aircraft and fuel issues), whereas either of your first three explanations could have been relayed in a much better manner.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 5:39 pm

Programs: AC SEMM; AA,DL, Hyatt and Starwood. Ex-status:SQ PPS,CSA,Hilton,AA,UA
I realize you don't just fill up the tanks

Either way, what they told the passengers came across as incompetence (my friend who was on the flight has his PPL, so he's not unfamiliar with aircraft and fuel issues), whereas either of your first three explanations could have been relayed in a much better manner.
Ah yes, the all too frequent "I can't tell if these people are incompetent or if they merely sound incompetent" situation....
Old Jan 3, 2014, 5:57 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport

I vote for #1 mitigated by #2. In decades of flying I've never heard that one (we forgot to fill 'er up). Based on prevailing weather conditions better to opt for a top up at point of origin versus an enroute diversion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.