Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Routing help to Scandinavia

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2014, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Accor Diamond, AC 35K, National Exec, Hertz Gold
Routing help to Scandinavia

Hey,

I am looking at routing for a trip in April to Scandinavia and am trying to figure out the MPM.

If I route directly YYZ-ARN-YYZ I get 7868 * 1.05 = 8261.4 which isn't a lot to do any special routing.

So I have been looking at what I believe to be "published routes" and I do see that United has YYZ - EWR - ARN as a route if you put in YYZ - ARN in the route map. Would this count as a published route? Also, if I search directly on Aeroplan, I do get YYZ - EWR - ARN as an option if I just input YYZ-ARN.

If that does count as a published route, do I have to fly on United? Because SAS flies from EWR to ARN and seems to have much more availability.

YYZ-EWR-ARN gets 8555 * 1.05 = 8982.75 which is significantly better!

I *believe* this would then allow me to do the following, but please correct me if I am wrong!

YYZ-EWR-CPH-ARN-OSL,OSL-EWR-YYZ which is 8840.

Stop in CPH
Dest ARN
Stop in OSL

Would then look at doing a side trip from from OSL to KEF!

Thanks,
Matt
Old Jan 2, 2014, 8:38 am

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
Just to clarify, MPM is a value published by the IATA - it is not necessarily related to the distance between two points (rather, some assessment of the distance that is required to fly between two points given available routes, etc).

YYZ-ARN MPM5 is 4,947 miles. This is the maximum you're allowed to travel each way between YYZ and ARN. You can't add up the two directions together and use that, you must consider it as two one way "trips".

YYZ-EWR-CPH-ARN is 4,535 miles, so should be okay.
ARN-OSL-EWR-YYZ is 4,276 miles, so should also be okay.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 10:18 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Dont forget YYZ-ORD-ARN (on SAS from ORD)
Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Accor Diamond, AC 35K, National Exec, Hertz Gold
Thanks for the correct MPM, that makes a big difference!

Thanks for the ORD info as well, that works too! I am thinking of traveling in business class to get some more value for my points.

Is the SAS A340-300 a nice business class flight?

Thinking as it all seems available in Business.

YYZ-ORD-CPH-ARN
ARN-OSL-CPH-IAD-YYZ

How can I estimate the taxes? Since its all on SAS (and Unites from Can->Usa), it should be pretty low, correct?

Thanks!
Matt
Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:28 am

Programs: AC UA TK FI DL
SAS business class is the old angled lie flat seats. So if you want something "better", at least a lie flat seat, then go with United.

Taxes should be low with SAS or United, as they are non-Scamchargable airlines so far.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Thanks.

I haven't seen any availability on United so it makes SAS the most viable option.

Better then economy I would say!
Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:45 am

Programs: AC UA TK FI DL
If you know the dates, then book fast.
Seats are limited, especially if you are only looking at SAS. Once those Business seats are gone, you'll be sitting in economy!
Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:58 am

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
SAS service is a lot better than United's, but the seats aren't as good (angled flat, rather than lie flat).
Old Jan 3, 2014, 11:24 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by iamaho
If you know the dates, then book fast.
Seats are limited, especially if you are only looking at SAS. Once those Business seats are gone, you'll be sitting in economy!
Agreed. Book 'em while you can get them. Very annoying when you have it all worked out and call in a day later to finalize and find out the one you really wanted is unavailalbe.

To be honest, I had booked a flight for 2 of us SAS or ORD in J, but had to cancel so never actually got on the flight. I knew the seats might not be "the best", but heck, it is way better than the back of the bus.

No scamcharges on SAS, so the only taxes you will see are airport taxes and similar....
Old Jan 4, 2014, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the tips.

I have 1 more question with regards to backtracking... I am looking at another potential route:

YYZ-WAW-CPH(stop)-ARN(dest)
ARN-OSL(stop)-CPH-IAD-YYZ

Would transiting via WAW back to CPH be considered backtracking as WAW is further east then CPH. I heard the LOT 787 from YYZ is quite nice as well.

Also, since its on the return, I can go back through CPH again, correct? Its just a transit point, no stopping.

I am looking to book very soon but AMEX has an "issue" with their system and didn't give us the full 30k points when we signed up for the referral deal (only got 20k) so we're 8000 points short of the 180k. Might just have to bite the bullet and spend the 270$ for the 8000 points to get the flights without charges.

Thanks,
Matt
Old Jan 4, 2014, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by mjrobson
Thanks for all the tips.

I have 1 more question with regards to backtracking... I am looking at another potential route:

YYZ-WAW-CPH(stop)-ARN(dest)
ARN-OSL(stop)-CPH-IAD-YYZ

Would transiting via WAW back to CPH be considered backtracking as WAW is further east then CPH. I heard the LOT 787 from YYZ is quite nice as well.

Also, since its on the return, I can go back through CPH again, correct? Its just a transit point, no stopping.

I am looking to book very soon but AMEX has an "issue" with their system and didn't give us the full 30k points when we signed up for the referral deal (only got 20k) so we're 8000 points short of the 180k. Might just have to bite the bullet and spend the 270$ for the 8000 points to get the flights without charges.

Thanks,
Matt
1. There are scamcharges on LO - albeit small - around $100.
2. Backtracking is not an issue - its not like AC agents have any knowledge of geography - if the computer adds up mileage and it is permitted - you are good to go, which leads to
3. Your routing of YYZ-WAW-CPH-ARN is over the 4987 MPM, your return just fits
4. There is no business class in Europe on SAS flights. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-e...uropean-c.html
Old Jan 4, 2014, 8:00 pm

Programs: ACAlt,SPG,MR
I just got back from Scandinavia and found best options/fees available on Swiss and Brussels Air - flew YYZ-BOS-ZUR-CPH--BRU--ZUR-ORD-YYZ back. Swiss business very good product. Brussels TATL airlines looked great but we switched back to Swiss last minute for the way home so only had a short Brussels flight but it was great.

FA's are very polite and attentive on both airlines. Meals were outstanding and Chocolates and coffee were amazing! Fun trip - I found Swiss really opens up early and then again 7-10 days out.

Not sure if by if that is relevant but enjoy Scandinavia - it is incredible!
Old Jan 5, 2014, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I forgot to check the MPM on WAW, that's too bad!

Would the flight from YYZ -> WAW -> ARN not count as a published route considering LOT flies direct from YYZ to WAW to ARN?

A few of the other options would be over the MPM as well. Brussles has a LOT of business class availability out of IAD.

YYZ-BOS-ZRH-CPH-ARN (5122) (has some avail on LX)
YYZ-IAD-BRU-CPH-ARN (5047)

Thanks,
Matt
Old Jan 5, 2014, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Hey,

Using Expert Flyer, YYZ-WAW-ARN produces this route in C, does this render the MPM 'invalid' since its a published route?

/VIA THE ATLANTIC/
DOM ROUTE VALIDATION APPLIES WITHIN ORIG/DEST COUNTRIES
MAP CONSTRUCTED LEFT TO RIGHT AND RIGHT TO LEFT
1. YTO-WAW-STO

Thanks,
Matt
Old Jan 5, 2014, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by mjrobson
Hey,

Using Expert Flyer, YYZ-WAW-ARN produces this route in C, does this render the MPM 'invalid' since its a published route?

/VIA THE ATLANTIC/
DOM ROUTE VALIDATION APPLIES WITHIN ORIG/DEST COUNTRIES
MAP CONSTRUCTED LEFT TO RIGHT AND RIGHT TO LEFT
1. YTO-WAW-STO

Thanks,
Matt

YYZ-WAW-ARN would be valid.
YYZ-WAW-CPH-ARN would not be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.