Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

new benefits for Aeroplan Distinction members at Fairmont hotels

Old Jan 1, 14, 9:58 am
Moderator: Le Club Accorhotels
Original Poster

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum, Fairmont Platinum

It seems Aeroplan Distinction status comes with some benefits when staying at Fairmont hotels:

PREFERENTIAL TREATMENT AT FAIRMONT HOTELS & RESORTS

Distinction members will receive special treatment, based on their Distinction level, when they book a stay directly with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts using their exclusive Fairmont Distinction Promotional Code.* Enjoy a luxury hotel experience along with extra benefits according to each Distinction level:

dSilver members receive:

Room upgrade at check-in (when available)2
Daily complimentary breakfast3

dBlack members receive:

$25 hotel credit5

dDiamond members receive:

$25 hotel credit5
Welcome amenity7

- need to use the promotional rate to receive benefits
- rate is equal to the "best available rate"

Terms and Conditions from the Aeroplan website:

*A stay is defined as one or more consecutive nights at the same hotel, regardless of the number of check-ins and checkouts. The price for this offer is equal to Fairmont’s Best Available Rate for the room-type booked for that date. All bookings must include your Aeroplan Number for each stay or provided in your Fairmont President’s Club profile. Offer does not apply to existing bookings. Advance reservations are required. This offer is subject to availability of rooms. Cancellation policies vary by property. Valid on bookings made between January 1 and December 31, 2014 for stays completed by January 15, 2015. Offer cannot be combined with other Fairmont promotions or offers. Offer subject to change without notice, including possible extensions of expiry date. Fairmont Hotels & Resorts is responsible for the fulfillment of this offer. This benefit is not applicable when members redeem Aeroplan Miles for a stay at Fairmont Hotels & Resorts. Black-out dates vary by property, for a complete list please see www.fairmont.com/promotions/limited.

1.To be eligible for this offer, you must be a dSilver member, use the exclusive Promotional Code provided at http://www.aeroplan.com/your_aeropla...nctionBenefits and make your reservation directly with Fairmont.

2.Room Upgrade to next room category, is offered at time of check-in, and based on availability.

3.Complimentary breakfast excludes In Room Dining. Daily breakfast for two (2) includes a full American breakfast in the Hotel's main dining room.

4.To be eligible for this offer, you must be a dBlack member, use the exclusive Promotional Code provided at http://www.aeroplan.com/your_aeropla...nctionBenefits and make your reservation directly with Fairmont.

5.$25 hotel credit, per stay: dBlack and dDiamond members will receive (1) $25 hotel credit ($25 CDN at Canadian properties and $25 USD value at all other participating locations). Hotel credit has no cash value and cannot be applied toward the daily room rate, or for Third-party activities billed to the suite. Hotel credit cannot be applied to Fairmont Store or other retail outlet purchases within the property. Credit will be applied to applicable charges at check-out. No refunds will be issued if the dollar value of the promotion is not used. The credit will expire by checkout time the morning of the guest's scheduled departure date. Guests are responsible for paying any remaining balance due at checkout time for charges applied to the room that exceed the total credit during their stay.

6.To be eligible for this offer, you must be a dDiamond member, use the exclusive Promotional Code provided at http://www.aeroplan.com/your_aeropla...nctionBenefits and make your reservation directly with Fairmont.

7.Welcome Amenity varies by hotel.
Old Jan 1, 14, 12:45 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Hertz Gold
Anyone having success using the code? Tried Ottawa for the end of the month and says the rate is not available.
Old Jan 1, 14, 12:52 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum Ambassador, AC E*50K, Marriott Gold
I've had no luck using it for Banff Springs. Couldn't find any dates where it was available.
Old Jan 1, 14, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

I think itīs an IT glitch. At least with similar offers Fairmont has been offering there were no/very few capacity controls, entering several different dates/properties I couldnīt find any availability either which doesnīt seem quite right.
Old Jan 1, 14, 1:59 pm

Programs: E35K,Skymiles
Will there be a fuel surcharge
Old Jan 1, 14, 3:16 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
seems like it is the same "preferential" treatment then. I thought they would just charge $50/night or something like that more to cover some of the costs. Now it seems it is another one of those "benefits' that doesn't exist in the real world, only in the marketing palaver.
Old Jan 1, 14, 3:21 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by Jasper2009 View Post
I think itīs an IT glitch. At least with similar offers Fairmont has been offering there were no/very few capacity controls, entering several different dates/properties I couldnīt find any availability either which doesnīt seem quite right.
It's no IT glitch at all. There is just slight aeropeso style capacity control. For all of 2014, you can book as many rooms as your like in any property during the month of Dec./2013. You can also prepay for it.
Old Jan 1, 14, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by yscleo View Post
It's no IT glitch at all. There is just slight aeropeso style capacity control. For all of 2014, you can book as many rooms as your like in any property during the month of Dec./2013. You can also prepay for it.
No luck today with any bookings for various times during the year using the code - and I am dDiamond. That is some "slight aeropeso style capacity control" alright. So far, this is a complete waste of time...
Old Jan 1, 14, 3:35 pm
Original Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

I think it is Fairmont retaliating against Aeroplan for being conned.

They probably thought the target market was was big spending high flying FFers, only to find out (too late) it was actually people who bought a lot of groceries.
Old Jan 1, 14, 3:43 pm

Programs: Fairmont, AC
same problem for me too

Originally Posted by King Chung Huang View Post
I've had no luck using it for Banff Springs. Couldn't find any dates where it was available.
montebello had no joy for me...
Old Jan 1, 14, 3:48 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by KenHamer View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

I think it is Fairmont retaliating against Aeroplan for being conned.

They probably thought the target market was was big spending high flying FFers, only to find out (too late) it was actually people who bought a lot of groceries.
Or bought a lot of drugs.
Old Jan 4, 14, 6:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Bonvoy PLAT, Fairmont PLAT, Priority Pass
Exclamation experience with new rate plan

I for one am pretty happy with this new benefit..........

On check-in yesterday, I asked to switch my rate plan to take advantage of the new benefit. It raised my room rate by $29 - a lot less than I would pay for 2 breakfasts! I also have a $25 credit for incidentals.

I also switched my next reservation (SJO) and the increase was only $16 - fair value!

IMO this new rate fills a bit of a niche at properties w/o Entree Gold.

The thing is the folks at the Presidents Club check-in desk knew nothing about the new rates. Had to research it and get back to me. Shame on Fairmont for not doing a better job of rolling this one out.
Old Jan 4, 14, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Antonio8069 View Post
I for one am pretty happy with this new benefit..........

On check-in yesterday, I asked to switch my rate plan to take advantage of the new benefit. It raised my room rate by $29 - a lot less than I would pay for 2 breakfasts! I also have a $25 credit for incidentals.

I also switched my next reservation (SJO) and the increase was only $16 - fair value!

IMO this new rate fills a bit of a niche at properties w/o Entree Gold.

The thing is the folks at the Presidents Club check-in desk knew nothing about the new rates. Had to research it and get back to me. Shame on Fairmont for not doing a better job of rolling this one out.
Good to hear that! Did you receive a $xx credit for breakfast or did they include continental/full breakfast buffet?
Old Jan 11, 14, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, A3*S, SPG Gold, CC Gold, HH Diamond
Is this even worth using?

I'm looking at one night in Calgary.

No promotion code: $179.00
Distinction dDiamond promo code: $179.00, but with a complimentary breakfast, $25 credit, and room upgrade, if available
Employer promo code: $152.15
Booking through Chase Ultimate Rewards: $147.53 USD (plus bonus UR points)

Is the room upgrade worth it? I could probably get a comparable breakfast for $10 elsewhere, and I doubt I'd use the $25 credit.

Or is it possible to book through Chase, and then call and add the Distinction promo code?
Old Jan 11, 14, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Afaik the promo code canīt be combined with discounted or thid-party bookings.

I personally would value breakfast at $15-$20 per person (essentially 50% of what the hotel would charge incl. taxes/tip), but itīs subjective of course.

The $25 credit is a nice bonus (why not enjoy a few drinks at the bar?), but if youīre not going to use it the rate may not be best choice.

Iīm not a huge fan of the Fairmont YYC and canīt really comment on the various room categories except that the rooms all looked pretty tired when I was there a few years ago.

Search this Thread