Wiki Posts
Search

50k on the dot

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2013, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
50k on the dot

So this year is my first flying year, I've worked past 35k on segments and between work and vacations I was gonna hit 48 segments.

I've snagged another 2 segments on Avianca to hit my 50 mark on Dec 27.

Now I read on one of the official policies, I think it was on the aeroplan website and it basically said "make sure you keep track of your miles, we might screw up".

I have had to call them in the past, no big deal right, BUT I'm a tiny bit worried that I'm just hitting 50 and so late in the year. Should I be calling them Dec 31 if I don't see my segments yet? I'll be in Colombia so calling would be pricey, but if they credit me say Jan 3 (about a week later) will that still hook on with my 2013 accumulation without issue?
Old Dec 15, 2013, 1:52 pm

If you fly in 2013, they will count towards your 2014 status. Keep your boarding passes just in case, the segments don't post and you have to request a credit.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 1:52 pm

Download the skype app and call over wifi. All 1-800/888 numbers are free from skype.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 3:08 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by winnipegrev
Download the skype app and call over wifi. All 1-800/888 numbers are free from skype.
What he said. ^

AV flights post faster than AC flights in my experience, however, I STRONGLY encourage online check-in to ensure your AE number is actually there. On a recent LIM-BOG flight my AE number was in the booking but not on my BP. Then when I flew BOG-SJO I saw it on the online boarding pass but not on the reprint the agent did. She gave me unbelievable attitude and a good ole sigh when I asked to reprint it to ensure the BP is displaying number number. This is the norm with many AV agents I have noticed.

In the end, AV segments were super fast and TA/LR segments were a bit slower but all posted automatically.

You will be fine.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lookls like 50 segments, not 50k miles? Which would be quite hard to hit "on the dot."
Old Dec 15, 2013, 6:29 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Stranger
Lookls like 50 segments, not 50k miles? Which would be quite hard to hit "on the dot."
I was thinking the same thing! Was kinda hoping to see how OP managed 50,000 miles on the dot
Old Dec 15, 2013, 6:55 pm

Programs: AC75 MM
NEW COMPETITION: Who got closest to their status threshold (on AQM)

I will start the bidding at 100,005 which completes my flying for the year
Can you get closer? (25, 50, 75, 100k AQM)?

Originally Posted by Stranger
Looks like 50 segments, not 50k miles? Which would be quite hard to hit "on the dot."
Old Dec 15, 2013, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tomvancouver

I will start the bidding at 100,005 which completes my flying for the year
Can you get closer? (25, 50, 75, 100k AQM)?
That's real close. I once ended up with 100,046 and I thought I was close.

This year, with the 25% extra added late in year but after my plans had been made, I ended up with over 102,000.

Last year, with the status mile promotion, above 110k.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 7:24 pm

Programs: E35K, Delta SM, AM ADV, Priority Club Plat, SPG Plat, MR *S, GR *E, Hyatt GP, AM
I hit 35 segments to give me E35K Silver plus on the nose! Was supposed to finish with 36 segs. Flight change gave me a cheated YYT-YHZ-YUL as one segment. why dies AC rip you off on certain segments like that and count it as one segment?
Old Dec 16, 2013, 7:58 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by greenlotus
I hit 35 segments to give me E35K Silver plus on the nose! Was supposed to finish with 36 segs. Flight change gave me a cheated YYT-YHZ-YUL as one segment. why dies AC rip you off on certain segments like that and count it as one segment?
Same flight number = One segment

I learned that the hard way many years back
Old Dec 17, 2013, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by winnipegrev
Nice, I actually wasn't aware of that, I knew they should be but my balance on skype has been $0 for so long that I've never really tried using it for calls in forever.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ffsim
I was thinking the same thing! Was kinda hoping to see how OP managed 50,000 miles on the dot
I was planning on flying from Vancouver to LA and jumping out about 50km south of SFO haha
Old Dec 17, 2013, 3:07 pm

Programs: AC UA TK FI DL
Fongo app allows for calls to anywhere in Canada for free, in addition to various 1-800 numbers. You'd also get a Canadian local number assigned to your account which you can use overseas with wifi/3G.
The app is totally free.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 3:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by iamaho
Fongo app allows for calls to anywhere in Canada for free, in addition to various 1-800 numbers. You'd also get a Canadian local number assigned to your account which you can use overseas with wifi/3G.
The app is totally free.
I think Gmail still allows free calls to North America as well.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 4:09 pm

Programs: AC*E, UA*PE, Hertz President Circle
Close to 50K on the dot

I checked yesterday and I am sitting at 50,007. I thought that I would need to do a short mileage run, but I guess not...

Is there anyway that AP could change the miles... with only 7 miles over! ha ha.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.