Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

What has happened to SQ business class seats availability?

Old Dec 13, 13, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Asian Club *g, AC Aeroplan, EK Skywards, QF Frequent Flyer, Velocity VA, Hilton Honors Diamond

Still trying to do an award for next May to Asia and SQ seems to have cut out all there J seats for Aeroplan redemption. I am trying to get to and or from Asia ex SYD via SIN to China/Taiwan.

I did see the following article: http://www.ausbt.com.au/vanishing-ac...n=home-flipper

I thought AP may be the same as UA MP but no seats are coming up at all, looking as far out as October. I called the AP centre and the agent also said nothing is available on SQ unless you go economy (he could find a couple of inter-Asia sectors but no longhaul).

I hope this is not the new normal at SQ and wonder will some J award inventory come back?

SYD/YYZ
Old Dec 13, 13, 9:44 pm

This is an ongoing development. Looks like SQ is restricting space to Oceania to 14 days out the same way LH does for it's first class product. canadiankms recently blogged about it I think.
Old Dec 13, 13, 10:24 pm

Programs: SW CP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Sixt Diamond, National EE, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by cardinalkid1891 View Post
This is an ongoing development. Looks like SQ is restricting space to Oceania to 14 days out the same way LH does for it's first class product. canadiankms recently blogged about it I think.
I reported that this morning on the Shrewd Travel Blog
http://shrewdtravel.com/singapore-ai...er-long-hauls/

Also it's not all Long Haul that has been eliminated. You can still find availability to Copenhagen.
Old Dec 13, 13, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by skyvanman View Post
I reported that this morning on the Shrewd Travel Blog
http://shrewdtravel.com/singapore-ai...er-long-hauls/

Also it's not all Long Haul that has been eliminated. You can still find availability to Copenhagen.
Didn't realize that you had reported it first, my apologies. I never said that all long haul had been eliminated though. As you mentioned CPH is still available, as should be other long-haul destinations served by the 772, though availability is generally nil save CPH and other secondary European cities.
Old Dec 13, 13, 11:02 pm

Programs: SW CP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Sixt Diamond, National EE, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by cardinalkid1891 View Post
Didn't realize that you had reported it first, my apologies. I never said that all long haul had been eliminated though. As you mentioned CPH is still available, as should be other long-haul destinations served by the 772, though availability is generally nil save CPH and other secondary European cities.
The CPH part was just clarifying for the initial poster.
Old Dec 14, 13, 8:55 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Interesting. Not good. So I have two reward tickets in SQ J booked to Sri Lanka this spring that it looks highly likely that I will have to cancel for personal reasons. As I understand it, I can cancel prior to 22 days, or rebook within 22 days for $90. I wonder what would happen if I tried to rebook for a year out?
Old Dec 14, 13, 9:12 am

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
* Alliance frankly seems to be dying. And it is dying in Rovinecu's Chairmanship.

The big airlines are now seeing themselves as far too important to mingle with the likes of TAP, LOT, Ethiopian, Shenzhen and all the rest of the refugees that flocked in when the floodgates opened.

At this point, it looks a bit later in the alliance game as though the well played award goes to onworld for limiting access, employing quality control and maintaining uniform privileges and standards alliance wide.

* Alliance may ultimately implode and be a management students' case study in twenty years times.

Some would say, like the EU, it just surpassed a critical threshold size.
Old Dec 14, 13, 9:17 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by markandrew View Post
* Alliance frankly seems to be dying. And it is dying in Rovinecu's Chairmanship.
It's not so much that the alliance is dying.... some members seem only to want to reap the benefits, and don't really care about their customers.
That's the problem when the rules/benefits vary wildly across partners.
Old Dec 14, 13, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Asian Club *g, AC Aeroplan, EK Skywards, QF Frequent Flyer, Velocity VA, Hilton Honors Diamond
This is terrible news for many , I had been looking to do some AP redemptions on SQ this year and all but economy are gone from inventory. Surely this breaks *A rules. There is nothing ex-SYD at all.

SYD/YYZ
Old Dec 14, 13, 7:19 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Platinum
I have seen Biz inventory recently on CPH-SIN, IST-SIN and DXB-SIN and plenty of space in Asia.
Old Dec 14, 13, 7:30 pm

I've flown on 13 *A carriers on 4 continents this year and SQ definitely sticks out as the carrier that provides the least for *G flyers. Bathrom-less *G lounge in SIN is an abomination compared to what they offer to their own members, and their quasi-priority boarding for *G doesn't impress at all.
Old Dec 14, 13, 11:42 pm

Programs: AirInter, Wardair, Eastern
Remember when SQ partnered with Delta in SkyTeam? I used to buy RTW fares in First from $5500-$6500. (Ok, it was pre 9-11, but those were the good old days.). Maybe this is just SQ's way of making clear that it is a higher quality airline than most *A members and wishes to keep the reward seats for its own FFs. Understandable.
Old Dec 15, 13, 6:09 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by watewate View Post
I've flown on 13 *A carriers on 4 continents this year and SQ definitely sticks out as the carrier that provides the least for *G flyers. Bathrom-less *G lounge in SIN is an abomination compared to what they offer to their own members, and their quasi-priority boarding for *G doesn't impress at all.
I'd rather take the 'bathroom-less' SQ krisgold lounges in SIN than any MLL worldwide. And silverkris is only for j, f, and pps. All krisflyer gold members on coach cant use the silverkris lounges. So i dont understand how SQ is treating their own krisflyer *G members better than other *A members?
Old Dec 15, 13, 7:11 am

Programs: UA MP - 1K
Originally Posted by supatight80 View Post
I'd rather take the 'bathroom-less' SQ krisgold lounges in SIN than any MLL worldwide.
???

The Krisgold lounge in SIN is a very poor offering compared to the MLL lounges I have visited in YYZ and YVR (International), haven't had the chance to visit the new FRA one, but the reviews have been very positive.
Old Dec 15, 13, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SYD/YYZ View Post
This is terrible news for many , I had been looking to do some AP redemptions on SQ this year and all but economy are gone from inventory. Surely this breaks *A rules. There is nothing ex-SYD at all.

SYD/YYZ
Double whammy is that, the only allowed Asian routing on Australia Aeroplan rewards was via SIN.

Without the connectors SIN-Australia - this effectively ends the availability of rewards to Australia (apart from the random YVR-SYD seat at $1100 a pop in scamcharges)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: