Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Jan 18 2021 TC issues Airworthiness Directive for the 737 MAX
Link to post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32976892-post4096.html

Cabin photos

Post 976 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29534462-post976.html
Post 1300 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29780203-post1300.html

Cabin Layout

Interior Specs can be found here https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet.html

- Window seats may feel narrower to come as the armrests are placed "into" the "curvature" of the cabin.
- Seats with no windows feel even more narrower as there is no space created by the curvature of window.
- All bulkhead seats have very limited legroom.
- Seats 15A, 16A, 16F, 17A and 17F have limited windows.
- Exit rows 19 and 20 have more legroom than regular preferred seats.

Routes

The 737 MAX is designated to replace the A320-series. Based on announcements and schedule updates, the following specific routes will be operated by the 737 MAX in future:

YYZ-LAX (periodic flights)
YYZ-SNN (new route)
YUL-DUB (new route)
YYZ/YUL-KEF (replacing Rouge A319)
YYT-LHR (replacing Mainline A319)
YHZ-LHR (replacing Mainline B767)
Hawaii Routes YVR/YYC (replacing Rouge B767)
Many domestic trunk routes (YYZ, YVR, YUL, YYC) now operated by 7M8, replacing A320 family
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2019, 11:21 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by 24left
This flock photo taken from a variety of different angles includes 2 clearly visible AC birds. Does anyone know how many of the 12 that were supposed to be delivered this year, have already been built? Painted?
All 12 would have already been delivered by now, so all of them would be build, not sure about painted.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 12:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
All 12 would have already been delivered by now, so all of them would be build, not sure about painted.
You got me thinking about "Where in the World AC MAX's Are".

Putting aside the 24 they already had and parked in various spots across the country, I was curious if I could find out about the other 12.....as someone who does not work for the airline.

There are a couple of people at Paine and Renton whose photos I follow.

Looking for AC birds, I found these, with line numbers in the photos (which I found on this site https://www.abcdlist.nl/bline.html#a7000 )

Just for info purposes

https://www.planespotters.net/airline/Air-Canada

And this is one of the photos often used in MAX news bits. Since it was taken July 1, these 2 AC birds would be 2 of those already painted.

Thinking about where Boeing has been parking the built ones, I looked around. I did not see any AC aircraft in any photos of those stored at Moses Lake.

But I found this little bird in San Antonio.

https://www.mysanantonio.com/busines...photo-17785994

There are quite a few parked here and I did not see any other AC ones. There are other photos in the series taken but I can't see the airlines on many of them due to distance.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 1:05 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Is San Antonio where they get Louis Vuitton tyres?
Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:49 pm

Programs: AC E50K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by canopus27
I don't think the issue is that it's impossible to build robust & redundant flight control computer systems -- as you state, the 777 & 787 do it, as do all of the airbus types.

The problem is that the 737 was never designed to include a robust & redundant flight control computer system. As a result, the underlying infrastructure that is necessary to allow a computer to safely move flight controls, does not exist on the 737 MAX. Even that is not a problem, we don't see 737-800's (and prior) falling out of the sky. You don't need a computer to fly a plane, there's no reason why you can't rely on physical cables to move the control surfaces (like the 737 does, and like Cessna's do).

The problem is that Boeing chose to address the flight characteristic problem that the MAX had, with a computer based solution - on top of a computer system that was never designed to handle it.

This new approach (using multiple redundant computer systems) seems like Boeing are slowly and grudgingly retrofitting the MAX to include a modern flight control system - and my worry is that retrofitting things like that is usually harder than designing them correctly in the first place. I'm reminded of the quote by Brian Kernighan (the 'K' from K&R, for you old programmers): "Everyone knows that debugging is twice as hard as writing a program in the first place. So if you're as clever as you can be when you write it, how will you ever debug it?"

None of that gives me confidence that Boeing's computer retrofit plans will solve more problems than they will introduce.
You make a lot of unsubstantiated claims, the most egregious of which I underlined.

First, you are conflating Boeing's capability (or lack thereof) to re-engineer the 737 Flight Control Computers (FCCs) with Boeing's motives for for not engineering the 737 FCCs differently in the first place.

Second, you seem to be confused about the differences between fly-by-wire (FBW) and non-fly-by-wire Flight Control Systems. FBW relates to inputs and outputs, not to flight control system capability. Just because an aircraft uses cables does not mean it does not or cannot have a sophisticated and "robust and redundant" flight control system. FBW is a relatively modern development, yet there are many very sophisticated aircraft still flying without it.

The 737 has had sophisticated redundant FCCs for years. FCCs by definition process data from various sensors and instruments and control flight. What else would an FCC do?!? Refer to Flight Control Computer (FCC). Here is a quote:

The FCC is the brains of the Digital Flight Control System (DFCS) and like any other computer, its software is being improved (and debugged !) all the time. There are two identical FCC's in each aircraft and although either one is capable of managing all of the DFCS functions, both are required for Cat III autoland and autopilot go-around operation.
The 777 uses three different computers in each of its triple redundant FCCs. They are the AMD 29500, the Motorola 68040 and the Intel 80486. None of these computers were designed to be used in an FCC. They are all general purpose computers and they all have been used in a huge range of different applications.

AFAIK, the 737 FCC has two different computers, an SDP-185 (Honeywell, derived from the AMD 2901) and a Z16C02. Here is a reference: Stabilizer Trim. Again, these computers were not designed to be used in a FCC, but rather they are general purpose and they do what they are programmed to do, like every other computer ever designed. For you to claim that the FCCs in the 737 cannot be programmed to operate differently indicates you have no clue whatsoever about software engineering. (As a computer / software engineer, I know a bit about this.)

By way of counter example, the first use of fly-by-wire was the Apollo Guidance Computer, which used discrete processor logic and core memory. This computer was capable of executing many different functions in the Apollo command module and the lunar excursion module. There is a series of videos on youtube about some engineers who restored one of these computers into operation to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Apollo 11. For fun, one of the engineers wrote a program to mine bitcoins on this computer. Obviously it was never designed to do such a thing, but it worked, just very slowly.

Again, stop conflating Boeing's motives with Boeing's capabilities. It's pretty clear that Boeing is at the mercy of the FAA and various other similar organizations around the world to get the MAX back in the air. Whatever Boeing got away with before, the MAX is under a magnifying glass and it won't be approved for flight until it's fixed. It will be a much improved aircraft when it's back in the air. Arguably it will be the aircraft that it should have been in the first place.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 9:52 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bimmerdriver
For you to claim that the FCCs in the 737 cannot be programmed to operate differently indicates you have no clue whatsoever about software engineering. (As a computer / software engineer, I know a bit about this.)
Yeah, I only have a Masters in software engineering, so I'm pretty much lost here. Thanks for all the helpful information.
canadiancow and 5mm like this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by canopus27

Yeah, I only have a Masters in software engineering, so I'm pretty much lost here. Thanks for all the helpful information.
If you really do have a masters in software engineering, then what's with the nonsense you posted?
Old Aug 9, 2019, 6:23 am

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
You make a lot of unsubstantiated claims, the most egregious of which I underlined.

Second, you seem to be confused about the differences between fly-by-wire (FBW) and non-fly-by-wire Flight Control Systems. FBW relates to inputs and outputs, not to flight control system capability. Just because an aircraft uses cables does not mean it does not or cannot have a sophisticated and "robust and redundant" flight control system. FBW is a relatively modern development, yet there are many very sophisticated aircraft still flying without it.
That's not accurate either. Inputs and outputs would mean a presence of some sort of processing unit which doesn't have to be present. FBW means no mechanical link between cockpit controls and the aircraft's control surfaces. No computer or processing unit is necessary. It is not so new either. First experiments with FBW were done in the Soviet Union 90 years ago. The first fully FBW aircraft prototype was the Avro Arrow. The first commercial FBW aircraft was the Concorde. No flight computer aboard the Concorde either.

BTW, MCAS was and still is an attempt to solve aerodynamic problems with software. But you don't have to believe me as I do not have a degree in computer engineering and my aviation training is limited to military training at the university.
canopus27, canadiancow and 5mm like this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 10:42 am

If you really do have a masters in software engineering, then what's with the nonsense you posted?
Sorry I'm siding with canopus27 because of the K&R reference !!!
canopus27 and canadiancow like this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by WildcatYXU
BTW, MCAS was and still is an attempt to solve aerodynamic problems with software. But you don't have to believe me as I do not have a degree in computer engineering and my aviation training is limited to military training at the university.
Every flight control system is engineered to solve aerodynamic problems. Airbus 320 neo aircraft have to deal with exactly the same issue as the MAX due to their larger than originally designed engines. Spend some time reading Bjorn's Corner...
Old Aug 9, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
Every flight control system is engineered to solve aerodynamic problems. Airbus 320 neo aircraft have to deal with exactly the same issue as the MAX due to their larger than originally designed engines. Spend some time reading Bjorn's Corner...
Oh really? I did read about the issue and it is definitely not the same as with the MAX. Not even close. Let's see what the other forum members have so say after reading the article.

https://leehamnews.com/2019/07/19/bj...itch-up-issue/
canopus27 likes this.

Last edited by tcook052; Aug 9, 2019 at 1:14 pm
Old Aug 9, 2019, 12:31 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Yes, but the entire 320 design, from day 1, assumed a flight control system in the mix. 320 pilots are trained on the not just possibility, but likelyhood that the computer will override exact controls.

Could Boeing design, build, ship and support a 21st century aircraft in the 150~200 PAX, 3500mi range? Maybe, probably. But they did not try to do that, doing that would have cost too much and taken too long.

Can they contort and retrofit a 50 year old design to those specifications? In a finite amount of time? At a competitive price? Well, they mostly did, until the result started flying themselves into the ground. Can they accomplish the task with a second try? Looking less and less so.
canopus27 likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 1:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

Originally Posted by WildcatYXU
Let's see what the other forum members have so say after reading the article.
Let's not as this thread isn't about Airbus A320neo but the Boeing Max. It's one thing to mention how other aircraft models are designed in passing but quite another to divert the thread discussion to delve far more deeply into the nuts & bolts.This thread has been given a certain amount of leeway with topics that don't always related directly to AC but there are still some boundaries.

tcook052
AC forum mod.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 2:07 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by RangerNS
Yes, but the entire 320 design, from day 1, assumed a flight control system in the mix. 320 pilots are trained on the not just possibility, but likelyhood that the computer will override exact controls.

Could Boeing design, build, ship and support a 21st century aircraft in the 150~200 PAX, 3500mi range? Maybe, probably. But they did not try to do that, doing that would have cost too much and taken too long.

Can they contort and retrofit a 50 year old design to those specifications? In a finite amount of time? At a competitive price? Well, they mostly did, until the result started flying themselves into the ground. Can they accomplish the task with a second try? Looking less and less so.
The fact they have been selling called a 737 for 50 years does not imply that a 737-100 and a 737 MAX have all that much in common with each other.

These should be designs that have incremental improvements over time. Could this have been a complete fly by wire cockpit even if the rest of the aircraft design remained unchanged? Yes.

The reality is they wanted to minimize the training cost so they kept the user interface as close to the NGs as possible.

The also did not want to change the landing gear high so they had to something odd when installing a bigger engine.

Both of those two constrains are pointless for AC since they don't have an existing 737 fleet. They are major requirements for the SouthWests of the world.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fiordland
The fact they have been selling called a 737 for 50 years does not imply that a 737-100 and a 737 MAX have all that much in common with each other.

These should be designs that have incremental improvements over time. Could this have been a complete fly by wire cockpit even if the rest of the aircraft design remained unchanged? Yes.

The reality is they wanted to minimize the training cost so they kept the user interface as close to the NGs as possible.

The also did not want to change the landing gear high so they had to something odd when installing a bigger engine.

Both of those two constrains are pointless for AC since they don't have an existing 737 fleet. They are major requirements for the SouthWests of the world.
What is relevant, though, is that the Max is certified as minor changes to the 50 years old 737-100. And that this lead to design compromises necessary to retain consistency. Which is a big contribution to the current mess. That the 737 is an obolescent design is becoming more obvious by the day. Which may end up having a significant impact on its future, even if not too many current orders get cancelled. But what about new orders? Also, consider that airlines including AC have by and large found ways to handle to current mess that possibly may even have had a positive effect on the bottom line. Plus, AC will start getting their A223 later this year, which will again reduce the pressure. Quite possibly before the Max flies again. We are moving toward a situation whereby the world no longer really needs to Max, only Boeing does.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 8:58 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Stranger
What is relevant, though, is that the Max is certified as minor changes to the 50 years old 737-100. And that this lead to design compromises necessary to retain consistency. Which is a big contribution to the current mess. That the 737 is an obolescent design is becoming more obvious by the day. Which may end up having a significant impact on its future, even if not too many current orders get cancelled. But what about new orders? Also, consider that airlines including AC have by and large found ways to handle to current mess that possibly may even have had a positive effect on the bottom line. Plus, AC will start getting their A223 later this year, which will again reduce the pressure. Quite possibly before the Max flies again. We are moving toward a situation whereby the world no longer really needs to Max, only Boeing does.
Agreed, they could have made much more significant incremental changes over the last 50 years. That fact is they have been far too conservative.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.