Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Jan 18 2021 TC issues Airworthiness Directive for the 737 MAX
Link to post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32976892-post4096.html

Cabin photos

Post 976 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29534462-post976.html
Post 1300 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29780203-post1300.html

Cabin Layout

Interior Specs can be found here https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet.html

- Window seats may feel narrower to come as the armrests are placed "into" the "curvature" of the cabin.
- Seats with no windows feel even more narrower as there is no space created by the curvature of window.
- All bulkhead seats have very limited legroom.
- Seats 15A, 16A, 16F, 17A and 17F have limited windows.
- Exit rows 19 and 20 have more legroom than regular preferred seats.

Routes

The 737 MAX is designated to replace the A320-series. Based on announcements and schedule updates, the following specific routes will be operated by the 737 MAX in future:

YYZ-LAX (periodic flights)
YYZ-SNN (new route)
YUL-DUB (new route)
YYZ/YUL-KEF (replacing Rouge A319)
YYT-LHR (replacing Mainline A319)
YHZ-LHR (replacing Mainline B767)
Hawaii Routes YVR/YYC (replacing Rouge B767)
Many domestic trunk routes (YYZ, YVR, YUL, YYC) now operated by 7M8, replacing A320 family
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2019, 6:44 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
You would think that selling an aircraft that occasionally takes control from the pilot and flies itself into the ground would be worth far more than $8 billion, but the market has spoken.
flyquiet likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 7:08 pm

and BA stock goes UP after-hours after the news :P
Old Jul 18, 2019, 9:13 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by RangerNS
You would think that selling an aircraft that occasionally takes control from the pilot and flies itself into the ground would be worth far more than $8 billion, but the market has spoken.
I would look at it differently. The market has decided that $8 billion is a number it can start with as we all learn more that number can be revised.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by The Lev
We are reading this rather differently. I don't see the word "apology" anywhere in the statement and I don't think Boeing legal would allow that - it would be a de facto acknowledgement that the infallible Boeing did in fact do something wrong. Dennis Muilenberg and Boeing are trying for some belated positive PR to overcome the negative narrative that Boeing is callous and doesn't care about the families and communities of those affected by the two crashes.

...and I definitely am not reading an apology to those indirectly impacted by the groundings into any of this - I do see an acknowledgement that confidence in Boeing has eroded and they need to fix that.
It does read more along the lines of....

Some bad things happened and an aircraft we built was involved.

This is all very sad. We are sad, the families are sad the community is sad.

We want to be good citizens so we are going to donate $100 M (over some undefined time period) to charities in the communities that are impacted.
The Lev likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 9:27 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
I see some of the US airlines have advised 737' won't be flying till Nov 2nd at least, but nothing from AC on this front

(I have booked an ACV to HUX supposedly on a 737 for 11/9/2019--frankly, I would prefer a vanilla 319 or 320 as they previously have used. )
Old Jul 18, 2019, 9:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Fiordland
....We want to be good citizens so we are going to donate $100 M (over some undefined time period) to charities in the communities that are impacted.
Yesterday, I watched a few short videos by Canadian Paul Njoroge - who lost his wife, 3 young children and his mother-in-law in the ET crash. (He gave testimony to the U.S. House subcommittee on aviation). In one video on Global News, he commented that the announcement for a fund has some serious negatives. He said none of the families will ever see any money as it will disappear within the governments and the NGOs. He also said that the announcement of the fund has caused stress and fear among the families in Ethiopia. None have received a cent of course, but already, they are being harassed as some others believe they have received money and this could cause harm to these families.

He and the father of another victim testified that while ET sent letters and reached out to them, not one family has heard a word from Boeing.

I had a short conversation with an AC pilot and I asked how things are going for the AC pilots who were flying the MAX as I had heard that while they are getting paid, it was not full salary as if they were flying. I asked if any could go back to the aircraft they flew before e.g. the Airbus 32x. He said that if they've done the SIM training for the MAX, they can't go back.

If this is the case and since I'm not a pilot, can someone explain if this is true and if so, why?
Old Jul 18, 2019, 11:41 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
How many aircraft types does AC allow a pilot to be certified on at one time? Perhaps that is why they will not allow MAX rated pilots to go back.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
It will never happen, but I would love AC to just drop the 7M8 altogether and return to an Airbus fleet. Safety issues aside, they’re just nicer airplanes.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by 24left
Yesterday, I watched a few short videos by Canadian Paul Njoroge - who lost his wife, 3 young children and his mother-in-law in the ET crash. (He gave testimony to the U.S. House subcommittee on aviation). In one video on Global News, he commented that the announcement for a fund has some serious negatives. He said none of the families will ever see any money as it will disappear within the governments and the NGOs. He also said that the announcement of the fund has caused stress and fear among the families in Ethiopia. None have received a cent of course, but already, they are being harassed as some others believe they have received money and this could cause harm to these families.

He and the father of another victim testified that while ET sent letters and reached out to them, not one family has heard a word from Boeing.

I had a short conversation with an AC pilot and I asked how things are going for the AC pilots who were flying the MAX as I had heard that while they are getting paid, it was not full salary as if they were flying. I asked if any could go back to the aircraft they flew before e.g. the Airbus 32x. He said that if they've done the SIM training for the MAX, they can't go back.

If this is the case and since I'm not a pilot, can someone explain if this is true and if so, why?
I don't know the specifics of what is happening with the MAX pilots but my understanding is pilots are paid based on the number of hours they fly. They also make more money by picking up extra flying and per dium being away from home. There is some guarantee of a minimum number of hours each month.

The Boeing announcement is carefully worded to leave the impression it benefiting family while actually honestly saying it is going to NGO that operate in the same community. Skilled PR.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by 24left

So most flight crew have a minium monthly guarantee (75 hours a month at QK), however standard pay, espically in the summer would be in the 80-85 hour range, perhaps even as high as 90, this does not include any extra picked up trips, just what's assigned on a monthly basis.

Perdiem loss would be the biggest loss, but for a senor Capt, loseing 5-10 hours a month would start to hurt after a while....
24left likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: CX GO, AC Aeroplan 25K, AMEX PLAT, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by eigenvector
How many aircraft types does AC allow a pilot to be certified on at one time? Perhaps that is why they will not allow MAX rated pilots to go back.
In short, one. Due to training and currency requirement, plus scheduling etc.

The 737 pilots have been sitting at home getting paid 70hours a month with no per diems. Like the last poster said, the pilots usually earn around 85hours plus per diems during summer time.

For the 737 pilots, the paid summer vacation is a one in a lifetime opportunity, buy I could imagine sitting at home at 70hour pay for over half a year will eventually get boring.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 4:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by etkuo
For the 737 pilots, the paid summer vacation is a one in a lifetime opportunity, buy I could imagine sitting at home at 70hour pay for over half a year will eventually get boring.
I have two thoughts on this:

1. Money

Due to my new company's compensation structure, I would be very hard-pressed to go without pay for 3 months. If I lost a "large" part of my income for 3 months, I'd REALLY have to cut back on my "extravagant" expenses, like stays at the Marina Bay Sands, and buying 3 J round-trips on AC because of a sale. Certainly not the end of the world, but I'd have to make adjustments. 15 hours at ~$200 (CA) or a wide range, but less than that (FO) is a fair bit of money that will quickly eat into your accustomed quality of life.

2. Scheduling

"You're off until at least November" is very different from "We're paying you, so we expect you to be around for sim training and in case we can get the planes back in the air sooner".

I have no idea what they've been told, but if they're forced to stay around their base, I can see how it would be boring after 2 weeks. If they've actually been told "you're off for 3 months", it opens up other possibilities, but if you have a family, I suspect it's mostly the same boring stuff while the 9-5ers are at work/school.

I'd LOVE a 6 month paid vacation. But only if I know the duration at the beginning. I've had a few fully-paid and partially-paid periods of leave where the end date was unknown. It sucks. And these pilots are only being partially paid.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 6:06 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
Or they do other work!! I know it's not the same analogy, but in the BA cabin crew strikes of 8/9 years ago - flight crew volunteered as cabin crew to maximise the number of headcount available.

I know this is not a strike situation and it's an issue not of their making - but coming into work and doing something use is not a bad thing. Eventually the "honey do" list is exhausted and employees would rather do something than nothing. Pay them a bonus for doing it and close the financial gap - I feel for the pilots who may be financially struggling where more money would be welcome!
Old Jul 19, 2019, 6:23 pm

Programs: TK*S, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I have two thoughts on this:

1. Money

Due to my new company's compensation structure, I would be very hard-pressed to go without pay for 3 months. If I lost a "large" part of my income for 3 months, I'd REALLY have to cut back on my "extravagant" expenses, like stays at the Marina Bay Sands, and buying 3 J round-trips on AC because of a sale. Certainly not the end of the world, but I'd have to make adjustments. 15 hours at ~$200 (CA) or a wide range, but less than that (FO) is a fair bit of money that will quickly eat into your accustomed quality of life.

2. Scheduling

"You're off until at least November" is very different from "We're paying you, so we expect you to be around for sim training and in case we can get the planes back in the air sooner".

I have no idea what they've been told, but if they're forced to stay around their base, I can see how it would be boring after 2 weeks. If they've actually been told "you're off for 3 months", it opens up other possibilities, but if you have a family, I suspect it's mostly the same boring stuff while the 9-5ers are at work/school.

I'd LOVE a 6 month paid vacation. But only if I know the duration at the beginning. I've had a few fully-paid and partially-paid periods of leave where the end date was unknown. It sucks. And these pilots are only being partially paid.
Going for the Grand Prix?
Old Jul 24, 2019, 9:56 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Boeing warns of production reduction, complete shut down of MAX if return to service delayed beyond 4th quarter

July 24, 2019, © Leeham News

QUOTES:

"Boeing’s chief executive officer today warned that if the 737 MAX return to service is delayed much beyond the anticipated fourth quarter RTS, reducing production from the current 42/mo or a complete production shut down could happen.

Last week, Boeing said it hopes for RTS in November. Today, Muilenburg characterized the hoped-for return “early in the fourth quarter.”
But he called the recertification processes and global regulatory reviews “dynamic.” There is no guarantee the RTS will happen on the timeline Boeing hopes.

CFO Greg Smith said delivering the produced but stored MAXes will occur over several quarters, without elaborating what this means.
…...
Smith reiterated Muilenburg’s warning that the MAX production lines could shut down entirely if RTS is delayed."

Article https://leehamnews.com/2019/07/24/bo...er/#more-30776

And from the Reuters' article, July 24, 2019

MAX jetliner grounding crisis pushes Boeing to biggest-ever loss

QUOTES:

"Boeing reduced the number of single-aisle aircraft it produces monthly in the Seattle area from 52 to 42 after the second crash in Ethiopia while suspending deliveries of the aircraft to airlines, cutting off a key source of cash and hitting margins.

The lower rate means Boeing has to pay more for parts, which are priced according to the volume Boeing buys. Boeing said it was working toward building 57 of the 737s a month in 2020, and that airplanes produced during the grounding and included within inventory will be delivered over several quarters following return to service.

Global airlines have had to cancel thousands of flights and use spare aircraft to cover routes that were previously flown with the fuel-efficient MAX, eating into their profitability."

Article https://www.reuters.com/article/us-b...-idUSKCN1UJ1G9

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.