Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Jan 18 2021 TC issues Airworthiness Directive for the 737 MAX
Link to post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32976892-post4096.html

Cabin photos

Post 976 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29534462-post976.html
Post 1300 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29780203-post1300.html

Cabin Layout

Interior Specs can be found here https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet.html

- Window seats may feel narrower to come as the armrests are placed "into" the "curvature" of the cabin.
- Seats with no windows feel even more narrower as there is no space created by the curvature of window.
- All bulkhead seats have very limited legroom.
- Seats 15A, 16A, 16F, 17A and 17F have limited windows.
- Exit rows 19 and 20 have more legroom than regular preferred seats.

Routes

The 737 MAX is designated to replace the A320-series. Based on announcements and schedule updates, the following specific routes will be operated by the 737 MAX in future:

YYZ-LAX (periodic flights)
YYZ-SNN (new route)
YUL-DUB (new route)
YYZ/YUL-KEF (replacing Rouge A319)
YYT-LHR (replacing Mainline A319)
YHZ-LHR (replacing Mainline B767)
Hawaii Routes YVR/YYC (replacing Rouge B767)
Many domestic trunk routes (YYZ, YVR, YUL, YYC) now operated by 7M8, replacing A320 family
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
That's a pretty reasonable and balanced article, IMHO. (It's actually more of an opinion piece than a news article, but still reasonable). It's authored by Simon Hradecky, who is the main guy behind the Aviation Herald.

Two more excerpts:
As of current I assess the probable causes as follows (while keeping my mind open in all directions):

Primary cause of the accident:
- MCAS activation based on a single faulty AoA sensor input without cross check or plausibility check of the incoming AoA value, which caused the stabilizer to reach a position that could no longer be compensated by elevator inputs

Primary contributing factors int the accident:
- A false AoA value, probably produced by the Air Data Reference unit rather than a mechanical fault, which activated the stick shaker and MCAS.
- aircraft systems not adhering to principles of Cockpit Resource Management CRM (MCAS, Stick Shaker, Air Data Reference Unit, AoA, Trim CUTOUT switches)

Possibly contributing factors into the accident:
- Corporate Culture within Boeing in designing aircraft
- Corporate Culture within FAA in certifying aircraft
- Corporate Culture in Ethiopian Airlines, which did not ensure their flight crew were fully aware of the implications of the LionAir Crash and the related EAD as well as Boeing and FAA approved emergency procedures
- Less than optimal crew performance, e.g. loss of situational awareness with respect to speed and thrust
And:
As I see it (also watching the heated discussions between people condemning Boeing for their MCAS system and lack of safety minded/fault tolerant implementation of that system and those folks claiming the crew could have averted the crash but did not follow procedures) we have to deal with a lot of human factors here, the first and foremost being the startle effect, in particular with a permanent stick shaker activation that does not stop despite lowering the nose in an instinctive reaction. The added stress of the continuous noise and rattle must have contributed to further confusion - and this scenario has never been trained for, no pilot has been prepared for such a scenario yet, in which a faulty AoA value could cause a permanent stick shaker. Therefore it appears likely to me, that the focus of the crew was to keep the aircraft flying and clear of terrain while trying to get rid of that noise and stress.
I think I agree with everything he's written in the article.
bimmerdriver likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 12:31 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ridefar
Not to mention that if they had a full load of fuel and it was at altitude they have not have been able to "just" land, and might have had to dump fuel. But that would spoil the blissfully ignorant narrative couched in authoritative language of the OP.
I don't think the fuel load would be a problem in this case. The distance from ADD to NBO is 625nm. That's a tad over a sixth of the 7M8's range. Also, the 737 can't dump fuel (neither does the A32X).
Old Apr 20, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by WildcatYXU
I don't think the fuel load would be a problem in this case. The distance from ADD to NBO is 625nm. That's a tad over a sixth of the 7M8's range. Also, the 737 can't dump fuel (neither does the A32X).
Interesting, thank you. So, as an aside, can a 7M8 land on a full load of fuel? Or is the only solution to burn it off?
Old Apr 20, 2019, 12:51 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by canopus27
That's a pretty reasonable and balanced article, IMHO. (It's actually more of an opinion piece than a news article, but still reasonable). It's authored by Simon Hradecky, who is the main guy behind the Aviation Herald.

Two more excerpts:

And:

I think I agree with everything he's written in the article.
Indeed, Mr. Hradecky breaks away from his usual strictly factual reporting to provide his opinion. However, one needs to separate the portion where he is reporting facts, from the portion where his opinion enters into (agreed that it is well balanced) after the following text, which are the parts of the article that you quote:

"Given the current partly heated discussions in aviation communities, all of which I feel do not take the human factors as well as cockpit resource management into account, I am about to provide my current understanding of the situation and my assessment based on the preliminary report as well as the additional documentation (relaxing my own editorial principles for a moment, that my personal opinion should not become visible in or influence my coverages):"

The part that describes the outdated manual at ET was in the factual portion of the publication.

I agree with Mr. Hradecky for the most part, the only caveat I would add is that the issues he raises about corporate culture at Boeing and the FAA are not limited to Boeing & the FAA as they apply to all major airplane manufacturers and regulating bodies. One must remember that TC & EASA, as well as all other governing bodies approved this system on this aircraft. Ever since the 777, It has been impossible for a regulating body to adequately understand what they are regulating, and this is the new reality. We need to trust the manufacturers, and people are not good at trusting corporations.
bimmerdriver likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 2:40 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
Interesting, thank you. So, as an aside, can a 7M8 land on a full load of fuel? Or is the only solution to burn it off?
AFAIK an overweight landing checkup has to be conducted if it lands over MLW (69.3t), but the 7M8 certified to land up to it's MTOW (82.2t). And I'm pretty certain many larger aircraft can as well.
ridefar likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by PLeblond
Here: Crash: Ethiopian B38M near Bishoftu on Mar 10th 2019, impacted terrain after departure

On Apr 11th 2019 The Aviation Herald received a full copy of the Flight Operations Manual (FOM), Revision 18B released on Nov 30th 2018, which is currently being used by Ethiopian Airlines (verified in April 2019 to be current). Although Boeing had issued an operator's bulletin on Nov 6th 2018, which was put into Emergency Airworthiness Directive 2018-23-51 dated Nov 7th 2018 requiring the stab trim runaway procedure to be incorporated into the FOM ahead of the sign off of this version of the FOM (the entire document is on file but not available for publishing), there is no trace of such an addition in the entire 699 pages of the FOM.
Thanks for sharing - interesting article.

Assuming it is correct, looks like the EAD was not included in the manual but seems training of some kind was done by ET.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 4:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

After some post deletions I'll remind everyone of an advisory I posted recently against widening the thread discussion to the real or perceived training of other pilots in other parts of the planet as this isn't the place for that discussion.

tcook052
AC forum Mod.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 5:03 pm

Programs: AC E50K, NEXUS
Neither do yours. Yet you persist in speaking authoritatively when you can't draw a logical conclusion to save your life and you actually have no idea what you are talking about. You would be better off just writing fiction and calling it that.
If you think my conclusions are incorrect, explain how and why. I'm pretty sure you can't.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 9:31 pm

Programs: AC E50K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by canopus27
First off, let me say how much I appreciate that we're able to have a reasoned discussion about this, without slipping into the sort of invective that is oh-too-common in many online debates today. You & I may end up agreeing to disagree, but that's the nature of a debate.
Based on the tone of the discussion today, I was mistaken to not have made it a priority to acknowledge what you said. I too appreciate that we can have a discussion about this without it getting off the rails, unlike others posting in this thread.

Arguing with an REDACTED
Old Apr 21, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by The Lev
Have you ever experienced a go-round? It take about 15-20 minutes for the pilots to go around, properly align with the runway and land.
Have you? Was the aircraft re-sequenced into the arrival stream and that’s why it took so long? Maybe I don’t know any better but unless they are taken a LONG way away from the airport to get back in line it should take less, and can take as little as 5 minutes (or less) if priority is needed.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 1:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq

Have you? Was the aircraft re-sequenced into the arrival stream and that’s why it took so long? Maybe I don’t know any better but unless they are taken a LONG way away from the airport to get back in line it should take less, and can take as little as 5 minutes (or less) if priority is needed.
While I've certainly seen fewer go arounds than you, my experience has always been closer to 15 minutes than 5. But in my cases, it's never been for an emergency - it's always been "previous aircraft has not vacated runway" or "low visibility".
bimmerdriver likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 1:27 pm
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by canadiancow
While I've certainly seen fewer go arounds than you, my experience has always been closer to 15 minutes than 5. But in my cases, it's never been for an emergency - it's always been "previous aircraft has not vacated runway" or "low visibility".
I have had go around take 5 min(Regina) to 45 min(Hong Kong)
yyz_atc_qq and bimmerdriver like this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'd say that the first factor in the length of time would be the reason for the go-around. Second would be local traffic. Almost no traffic, weather related, likely back on the approach in 5 min or less. Busy traffic, but weather related.... 20min+. Emergency.... regardless of traffic levels, up to the pilot. If he says I need on the ground NOW.... less than 5 min. More often though they say that they need time to do checklists etc etc and it takes them 10-15min to be ready to go, which gets closer to the 20min mark.

That being said, today I saw multiple missed approaches at TZ, one after another after another, and they all kept saying they wanted to try again. I think the same flight missed 3 times in a row, and each one was 6-8 min apart and that's with sequencing other Q400s and dealing with their missed approaches also.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq

Yes - several times including at YYZ.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by The Lev
Yes - several times including at YYZ.
Unless it happened at a very slow time, then the delay was for sequencing back into the flow and building a hole to fit the extra arrival in. If they had needed to be on the ground sooner.... it would have happened.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.