Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Jan 18 2021 TC issues Airworthiness Directive for the 737 MAX
Link to post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32976892-post4096.html

Cabin photos

Post 976 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29534462-post976.html
Post 1300 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29780203-post1300.html

Cabin Layout

Interior Specs can be found here https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet.html

- Window seats may feel narrower to come as the armrests are placed "into" the "curvature" of the cabin.
- Seats with no windows feel even more narrower as there is no space created by the curvature of window.
- All bulkhead seats have very limited legroom.
- Seats 15A, 16A, 16F, 17A and 17F have limited windows.
- Exit rows 19 and 20 have more legroom than regular preferred seats.

Routes

The 737 MAX is designated to replace the A320-series. Based on announcements and schedule updates, the following specific routes will be operated by the 737 MAX in future:

YYZ-LAX (periodic flights)
YYZ-SNN (new route)
YUL-DUB (new route)
YYZ/YUL-KEF (replacing Rouge A319)
YYT-LHR (replacing Mainline A319)
YHZ-LHR (replacing Mainline B767)
Hawaii Routes YVR/YYC (replacing Rouge B767)
Many domestic trunk routes (YYZ, YVR, YUL, YYC) now operated by 7M8, replacing A320 family
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CleverJesse
Why would they take such a flight path? Genuinely curious
I suspect they received a special exemption from the ban from Canada, but it wasn't worth even requesting it from the US.
TechnoTourist likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:23 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by CleverJesse
Why would they take such a flight path? Genuinely curious
The US airspace restriction, with exceptions for ferry flights might not include overflights.

Or speed doesn't matter and NAVCANADA is cheaper than FAA.
TechnoTourist likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 11:14 pm
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RangerNS
NAVCANADA is cheaper than FAA.
This doesn’t really matter. Fuel burn is the most expensive factor.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 4:21 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
FAA will not require actual B737MAX pilot training on actual B737MAX simulators.

AA has announced they will go above and beyond and require this. Bravo. It is worth mentioning that AA was the only carrier that insisted on the optional $80k AOA indicator when they initially ordered their planes.

AC and CTA -- next move is yours. Choose carefully.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by expert7700
FAA will not require actual B737MAX pilot training on actual B737MAX simulators.

AA has announced they will go above and beyond and require this. Bravo. It is worth mentioning that AA was the only carrier that insisted on the optional $80k AOA indicator when they initially ordered their planes.

All AC MAX FINs have the optional AOA disagree, and AOA display on the PFD installed.

To go one step further, AC for some time now has been installing dual heads-up guidance displays (HGS, or HUD) of which I am not sure there is another airline in the world that is installing this as a dual system on the 7M8 (Boeing only offers a single HGS system, requiring AC to get a specialty install done). This is a massive investment in safety, which will require even more training simulator sessions on how to use this technology.

Air Canada is one of the only airlines in the world to have actual MAX simulators (two on site).

AC's MAX simulators have been running 19 hours per day, 7 days a week (with the remaining hours scheduled only for sim maintenance) with AC pilots training flight control scenarios since April 01.

When this is all done, AC will be shown to be a world-wide leader in getting the planes back in the sky safely, and having the best trained pilots to do so (with more than one simulator session under every pilot's belt).

While the others are debating sim time for pilots, AC has already been doing this for over 3 weeks, and plans to continue this into May (simulators running 19hrs/day) with each and every MAX pilot, for a second time.

Bravo, AC Flight Ops management, ahead of the pack, with quality training for their pilots.

Last edited by smoothride; Apr 18, 2019 at 8:40 am
Old Apr 18, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
And here's a more thorough version from The Atlantic. It includes the actual ASRS reports as well as an overall summary.

Not all of the 'incidents' referenced explicitly involved MCAS (only three reports even mention MCAS) or were even necessarily initiated due to an in-flight issue . So treat it as it is - raw data gleaned from the NASA ASRS database.
Thanks. That's interesting.

And, as you said, a mixed bag.
  • The first two reports (involving an uncommanded descent) read to me as two reports of the same incident - one from the Captain and one from the FO. Not 100% sure, but that's my interpretation. In addition to a very similar description, both reports were in November 2018, both reports as day three of a cycle, both reports the airport is at 2000 MSL, etc.
  • The third report is not a flight control incident at all, there is a MAINT annunciation on the ground and neither the Captain nor FO can understand the issue.
  • The fourth report is not even an incident - it's a 737 captain complaining about the fact that the MCAS is not documented.
  • The fifth report is a flight issue, albeit with no obvious similarity to the MCAS; it's about an unexpected autothrottle movement.
  • The sixth and final report is not a flight issue at all, it's an FO feeling unprepared for first flight in the MAX.
I'm not second guessing the fact that any of those reports were made - this is how the industry has become as safe as it has.

However, only three of those six reports even involved an actual in-flight incident, only two of them sound even superficially similar to the MCAS issues, and those two appear to be two reports of the same incident. Even that one incident seems likely not to be caused by MCAS, as it occurred after the autopilot was engaged (which, we're told, disables MCAS).

Again, it's all good, and all interesting - but it's not supportive of claims that numerous pilots have encountered an MCAS issue and been able to fly their way out of it.

To date, the only flights where we know that happened (MCAS was trying to fly them into the ground but the pilots successfully overrode) was with the Lion Air flights prior to the incident. Which also means, interestingly, that the only pilots who are known to have demonstrated the ability to survive an MCAS incident, are Indonesian pilots.

Anyway, this was very interesting reading, thanks @Bohemian
Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:35 am
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by expert7700

AA was not the only airline to buy the 2 options. AC also bought these options, well WS only bought 1.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by smoothride
All AC MAX FINs have the optional AOA disagree, and AOA display on the PFD installed.

To go one step further, AC for some time now has been installing dual heads-up guidance displays (HGS, or HUD) of which I am not sure there is another airline in the world that is installing this as a dual system on the 7M8 (Boeing only offers a single HGS system, requiring AC to get a specialty install done). This is a massive investment in safety, which will require even more training simulator sessions on how to use this technology.

Air Canada is one of the only airlines in the world to have actual MAX simulators (two on site).

AC's MAX simulators have been running 19 hours per day, 7 days a week (with the remaining hours scheduled only for sim maintenance) with AC pilots training flight control scenarios since April 01.

When this is all done, AC will be shown to be a world-wide leader in getting the planes back in the sky safely, and having the best trained pilots to do so (with more than one simulator session under every pilot's belt).

While the others are debating sim time for pilots, AC has already been doing this for over 3 weeks, and plans to continue this into May (simulators running 19hrs/day) with each and every MAX pilot, for a second time.

Bravo, AC Flight Ops management, ahead of the pack, with quality training for their pilots.
Thanks for the clarification. Good to hear that AC handled the new plane in the right way.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:52 am

How many other operators of the MAX are new to the 737 series entirely?

Are Air Canada's "MAX Simulators" a MAX simulator, or, since the MAX is supposed to be the same as the <MAX, just a <MAX simulator with a new sticker? (two questions, really: what was it the day it was installed, and what is it now?) I find it hard to believe that the simulator people (pre-accidents) had simulated the MCAS as Boeing suppressed its existence.

Not to be critical of AC in all of this, just the reporting on their actions. Starting from scratch, their simulator & training process would be, by necessity, different. Obviously transitioning from a 320 to a MAX takes more than a couple of hours with an iPad.

But different, even more, does not mean sufficient.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 11:22 am

They are B737-MAX simulators (with LEAP-1B engines) built as one of the first non-NG simulators, and was driven down the highway from CAE in Montreal and then assembled at AC Flight Operations. After install and initial certification, it took a further year of data and testing to be a certified Level 'D' simulator by Transport Canada.

Images are available publicly, I found this from a google search:

https://pizzainmotion.boardingarea.c...ght-simulator/
eigenvector likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 11:58 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
from Airliners.net:
They (AC) have been hiring a lot of pilots from WestJet that want to change teams and they all are on the 737 already and I think they probably got some from Sunwing as well so not all MAX pilots there hadn’t flown the 737 recently before. Otherwise not many want to fly the thing there and from what I here would rather stick to any other plane.
That adds a bit of pause to the position that 'since the 737max is a new type to AC, all pilots have the advantage of operating just the MAX and not switching between variants such as 737NG.'
Old Apr 18, 2019, 12:09 pm

C-FSOC YVR-YQG
Old Apr 18, 2019, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by smoothride
They are B737-MAX simulators (with LEAP-1B engines) built as one of the first non-NG simulators, and was driven down the highway from CAE in Montreal and then assembled at AC Flight Operations. After install and initial certification, it took a further year of data and testing to be a certified Level 'D' simulator by Transport Canada.

Images are available publicly, I found this from a google search:

https://pizzainmotion.boardingarea.c...ght-simulator/
One can only simulate what you know to simulate is what I'm saying. The MCAS was undocumented. Did CAE simulate accurately the aircraft described in the documents they got from Boeing? I would presume so.

Did CAE simulate a MAX, which includes the MCAS, before October?
Old Apr 18, 2019, 2:41 pm

C-FSNU YQG-YVR
Old Apr 18, 2019, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by bimmerdriver
No one, including Boeing, is claiming that MCAS is not deeply flawed in several ways and/or should not be fixed. Additionally, no one is claiming that the design decisions underlying the flaws in MCAS don't reflect very badly on Boeing, as well as the FAA.
While Boeing's CEO has apologized, I don't recall anyone in an official capacity at Boeing calling MCAS deeply flawed. They are just making an already safe plane even safer.

However, despite the well-documented flaws of MCAS (which you can infer from the changes Boeing is making to MCAS), the MAX has successfully flown thousands of flights without incident. There are no reports from pilots claiming they are having difficulties flying the MAX. The only reasonable thing you can infer from these thousands of successful flights, is that either MCAS operated as it was supposed to or it did not operate at all. I'm not aware of any statistics that reveal how often MCAS operates, but most likely, MCAS rarely operates, because it was intended to intervene only in a very small area of the flight envelope (light load, fully aft CoG). In these cases, the purpose of MCAS is not to prevent the MAX from crashing, it's to make the MAX fly like non-MAX 737s. This should not be difficult to for any reasonably intelligent person to understand.
I don't think there are too many people in the aviation industry who would claim that two catastrohpic events over the course of "thousands" or even hundreds of thousands of flights to be an acceptable failure rate.

I expect that the public will learn of other cases where AoA sensors failed, triggering MCAS into it's erroneous mode of operation, but the pilots followed their training and brought the aircraft back successfully. But you probably don't want to talk about that because it's not part of your narrative.
In addition to the three widely reported MCAS incidents (two with Lionair and one with Ethiopian), based on what has been dredged up on this thread, there appear to be a handful of other incidents where MCAS may have malfunctioned. To be generous, let's assume a total of 10 incidents (I suspect it is closer to 5). That means that in 20% or more of the cases where MCAS severely malfunctioned due to AoA sensor issues the aircraft crashed. Other than engine failure on a single engine aircraft, there aren't very many situations I can think of where failure of a single part has a 20-67% likelihood of a crash being the outcome.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.