Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Jan 18 2021 TC issues Airworthiness Directive for the 737 MAX
Link to post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32976892-post4096.html

Cabin photos

Post 976 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29534462-post976.html
Post 1300 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29780203-post1300.html

Cabin Layout

Interior Specs can be found here https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet.html

- Window seats may feel narrower to come as the armrests are placed "into" the "curvature" of the cabin.
- Seats with no windows feel even more narrower as there is no space created by the curvature of window.
- All bulkhead seats have very limited legroom.
- Seats 15A, 16A, 16F, 17A and 17F have limited windows.
- Exit rows 19 and 20 have more legroom than regular preferred seats.

Routes

The 737 MAX is designated to replace the A320-series. Based on announcements and schedule updates, the following specific routes will be operated by the 737 MAX in future:

YYZ-LAX (periodic flights)
YYZ-SNN (new route)
YUL-DUB (new route)
YYZ/YUL-KEF (replacing Rouge A319)
YYT-LHR (replacing Mainline A319)
YHZ-LHR (replacing Mainline B767)
Hawaii Routes YVR/YYC (replacing Rouge B767)
Many domestic trunk routes (YYZ, YVR, YUL, YYC) now operated by 7M8, replacing A320 family
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2019, 7:00 am

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Mauricio23
That's fine, but in some sense it is an even worse look for Boeing. If MCAS was a marginal system, needed only in very specific situations to slightly enhance the stability of the plane, there is no excuse for implementing it in such a way that it could drive the aircraft into the ground after a single point of failure.
Exactly. And they better take their sweet time and make sure it works absolutely reliably. And they have to pray that nobody crashes another MAX in the first year after re-entry to service for any reason as the public would be really running from the MAX.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bimmerdriver
Pilots Say MAX MCAS Software Updates Prove Effective In Simulator Demo

For people saying the MAX is flawed because it "needs" MCAS,

Before anyone lights their hair on fire, I did not post the above to absolve Boeing of the flaws in the initial MCAS implementation, but rather to correct the hyperbole posted in this thread that claims the MAX is a flawed aircraft and should not be recertified.
More spin from Boeing...
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:06 pm

Programs: AC E50K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Stranger
More spin from Boeing...
Right, I'm actually a sock puppet getting paid by Boeing.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 3:12 pm

For all of us non-pilots on here who are told to just trust Boeing etc, and get back on this thing when it comes back in service - fun little video here.

chrisny2 likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 3:53 pm

For you guys who continue to be in denial about the shared role of the airlines / pilots in both crashes, read this article (https://leehamnews.com/2019/04/15/tr...n-max-crashes/), then register on AW&ST and read the articles (and comments) there.

The pilots of LT610 did not follow basic procedures. The aircraft should not even have been in service.

The pilots of ET310 did not follow basic procedures.
All his piece tells us is that American and Canadian pilots think they know better. What's new in that? Seems everybody, including the author, is afflicted by that national pride bug.

But okay, let's take his word for it. Let's assume that experienced American and Canadian pilots who have never faced this situation would have landed safely. So what? Should the aircraft be deemed airworthy again? Is the grounding a big mistake?

I mean, these "third world" pilots are out there flying NGs, 320s, 330s, 787s etc every day. (Believe it or not, most of them even survive long enough to retire). They're just not good enough for the MAXs. I'm alright with that. Redefine them as "average" pilots, and restrict MAX sales to the exceptional "first world" pilots. That should take care of the problem for everyone. Except Boeing's first world customers, who'll lose the savings of economies of scale.

Personally, I'd stay away from pilots who think they would have handled this better without having ever put their theories in practice. "First world" sky gods scare me more than "average third world" pilots.

Old Apr 16, 2019, 3:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yulred
But okay, let's take his word for it. Let's assume that experienced American and Canadian pilots who have never faced this situation would have landed safely. So what? Should the aircraft be deemed airworthy again? Is the grounding a big mistake?
Do we have evidence that no other pilots have experienced this?

Is it possible they reacted early enough and in such a way so as to continue the flight safely, and just log it for maintenance to look at later?
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:02 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow

Is it possible they reacted early enough and in such a way so as to continue the flight safely, and just log it for maintenance to look at later?
The NASA "no-attribution" database has a few complaints from USian pilots about the problem.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:06 pm

Not to my knowledge. I imagine there's quite a few 7M8 pilots with a little free time on their hands who would have spoken up by now. Unless they can't do so publicly.

Does beg the question: if this is as easily resolvable as Boeing and some pilots claims, why ground the aircraft at all? My guess is that somewhere in there, the theory isn't translating cleanly into practice.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by RangerNS
The NASA "no-attribution" database has a few complaints from USian pilots about the problem.
One incident (two reports - co-pilot and pilot) had a nose dip, but I do t recall then attributing it to MCAS or AoA. It happened once shortly after take off and never happened again. I don't think they performed the checklist or even diagnosed the problem.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:14 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RangerNS
Is that this database?
https://asrs.arc.nasa.gov/search/database.html

I can't get any 737 MAX 8 or 9 hits in there, wondering if I'm looking at the wrong database.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Right, I'm actually a sock puppet getting paid by Boeing.
If it walks like a duck...But seriously, I was referring to the cited material.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 7:10 pm

If it walks like a duck...But seriously, I was referring to the cited material.
Right, and if you think that just because someone who doesn't hold your view that the MAX is fundamentally flawed and should be "redesigned" they must be a Boeing shill, then you are so blinded by your preconception (and ignorance) that you aren't thinking.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 7:12 pm

AFAIK, the previous Lion Air flight in the aircraft that crashed experienced an AoA problem and they disabled MCAS and completed the flight.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Right, and if you think that just because someone who doesn't hold your view that the MAX is fundamentally flawed and should be "redesigned" they must be a Boeing shill, then you are so blinded by your preconception (and ignorance) that you aren't thinking.
Once more, my comment referred to the material you quoted. Which clearly belongs to or is an outcome of the Boeing spin game, including a variety of rumors, talks with pilots and the like.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 9:47 pm

Once more, my comment referred to the material you quoted. Which clearly belongs to or is an outcome of the Boeing spin game, including a variety of rumors, talks with pilots and the like.
You just confirmed my point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.