Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Jan 18 2021 TC issues Airworthiness Directive for the 737 MAX
Link to post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32976892-post4096.html

Cabin photos

Post 976 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29534462-post976.html
Post 1300 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29780203-post1300.html

Cabin Layout

Interior Specs can be found here https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet.html

- Window seats may feel narrower to come as the armrests are placed "into" the "curvature" of the cabin.
- Seats with no windows feel even more narrower as there is no space created by the curvature of window.
- All bulkhead seats have very limited legroom.
- Seats 15A, 16A, 16F, 17A and 17F have limited windows.
- Exit rows 19 and 20 have more legroom than regular preferred seats.

Routes

The 737 MAX is designated to replace the A320-series. Based on announcements and schedule updates, the following specific routes will be operated by the 737 MAX in future:

YYZ-LAX (periodic flights)
YYZ-SNN (new route)
YUL-DUB (new route)
YYZ/YUL-KEF (replacing Rouge A319)
YYT-LHR (replacing Mainline A319)
YHZ-LHR (replacing Mainline B767)
Hawaii Routes YVR/YYC (replacing Rouge B767)
Many domestic trunk routes (YYZ, YVR, YUL, YYC) now operated by 7M8, replacing A320 family
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2019, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by bimmerdriver
Exactly. Not sure why it's so hard for some people to admit that questioning the actions of the airlines / pilots is not the same thing as saying there is no problem with MCAS. Obviously there is a problem with MCAS, specifically in the way it behaves when the AoA sensor fails, but that does not mean the actions of the pilots have no bearing on the outcome of such a failure.
Its clearly more nuanced than that. We can ask ourselves why they didn't do this, that or the other, but I don't think anyone has proventhat any of the other theoretical actions on their part would have resulted in a safe ending.

I'll happily concede I'm wrong the day any pilot gets into a simulator or real plane and demonstrates that a simpler solution obvious to every 7M8 pilot was staring the ET pilots in the face. But if this is one of those cases where only a handful of elite pilots (paging Chuck Yeager) could save the day, then I don't think it's fair to criticize random pilots for not being Chuck Yeager. The vast majority of pilots, even in Canada, aren't.

In any event, debating the pilots' choices belongs on an ET 302 thread. They serve little purpose here other than to obfuscate against legitimate concerns about the 7M8's airworthiness. No matter what they could or should have done, 7M8s should not have been in the air either in Ethiopia or in Canada when that incident happened. And with any luck, they'll stay on the ground till EASA (or someone equally credible) has run a fine comb over them.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
I obviously had to go look it up, but Boeing's guidelines on the 737 are 75% power flaps up (which they were).
Is that Boeing's guideline for "hot and high" or normal?
Old Apr 7, 2019, 3:21 pm

Programs: AC E50K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by yulred

Its clearly more nuanced than that. We can ask ourselves why they didn't do this, that or the other, but I don't think anyone has proventhat any of the other theoretical actions on their part would have resulted in a safe ending.

I'll happily concede I'm wrong the day any pilot gets into a simulator or real plane and demonstrates that a simpler solution obvious to every 7M8 pilot was staring the ET pilots in the face. But if this is one of those cases where only a handful of elite pilots (paging Chuck Yeager) could save the day, then I don't think it's fair to criticize random pilots for not being Chuck Yeager. The vast majority of pilots, even in Canada, aren't.

In any event, debating the pilots' choices belongs on an ET 302 thread. They serve little purpose here other than to obfuscate against legitimate concerns about the 7M8's airworthiness. No matter what they could or should have done, 7M8s should not have been in the air either in Ethiopia or in Canada when that incident happened. And with any luck, they'll stay on the ground till EASA (or someone equally credible) has run a fine comb over them.
For someone who's saying "it's more nuanced than that", where did anyone say it was a "proven fact" that different pilots would have saved the aircraft? I get the impression you would argue with your own points if no one else was posting in this thread.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by bimmerdriver
For someone who's saying "it's more nuanced than that", where did anyone say it was a "proven fact" that different pilots would have saved the aircraft? I get the impression you would argue with your own points if no one else was posting in this thread.
I don't care for ad hominem as but maybe you're right. Maybe I'm missing the point. I just really don't understand how anyone can comment on whether the ET pilots got it "right" or "wrong" if no one knows what the "right" way was. Maybe there was no "right" way and they were doomed all along. In which case, why bring them up?

Said it before and I'll say it again: the pilot issue is a red herring on this thread. The issue here is that the 7M8 is/was not airworthy in its current form. The only way the pilots become relevant here is if one believes they are the critical variable that could change everything - I.e. replacing them with an AC pilot would result in a different outcome and/or the 7M8 not being grounded in Canada.

I think(?) we agree that that is not the case. So why dwell on it? Motives notwithstanding, it comes across as deflection and obfuscation. I've become wary of that. It was, after all, the insistence "questioning" what JT and its pilots were doing/had done, that led to this grounding being postponed in the first place.
arf04 and RangerNS like this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:21 pm

Programs: *G
https://www.smh.com.au/business/comp...08-p51bv0.html

A Reuters story - aside from more pilot action comments, the sensor information appears to be new:
"A sudden spike in black box data was consistent with a bird or other debris hitting the plane as it was taking off, shearing away a vital airflow sensor, said the four experts and two US officials."
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:52 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
The process to recover from a broken MCAS is undocumented as it's very existence is undocumented.

From this, MAX pilots should all be exceptionally trained and experienced test pilots as every flight is a flight of the unknown.

This contradicts the positioning of the aircraft as the same as other aircraft know as the 737.
​​​
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:59 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by RangerNS
The process to recover from a broken MCAS is undocumented as it's very existence is undocumented.

From this, MAX pilots should all be exceptionally trained and experienced test pilots as every flight is a flight of the unknown.

This contradicts the positioning of the aircraft as the same as other aircraft know as the 737.
​​​
I wonder if airlines factored this into the cost of the aircraft? Boeing certainly didn't.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 9:12 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K | Latitude Flight Pass junkie
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
Let me put some perspective on the narrative

Ethopian Airline= African = Bad Pilots = plane crash
Lion Air = Asian = Bad Pilots = Plane Crash
Air Canada = Canadian = Good Pilots <> Except for Complex Night Runways in SFO
Lovely to go right to racism, but I think it was more that Air Canada purchased all available safety systems and many overseas airlines did not.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 9:30 pm
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by YVR72

Lovely to go right to racism, but I think it was more that Air Canada purchased all available safety systems and many overseas airlines did not.
Just not overseas airlines. United didn't purchase any and Westjet only purchased 1 of the available safety systems.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 10:01 pm

Alternatively, it could be related to what Mentourpilot (and, apparently, his associate from Leeham) express concern/frustration about in this video (1:26 in - watch for about 30-40 seconds).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q17vykscK0w

If one can't be bothered to watch, he objects to the way people people are claiming or implying that North American pilots or European pilots are inherently superior to, say, each and every African pilot. Wouldn't be surprised if this trend was reflected in posts here. It's lazy stereotyping, and IMHO it's one of the reasons 7M8s were still flying when the ET incident happened.

No smoke without fire and all that.

As for safety systems, if they're critical safety systems, why were they optional, and why weren't they retrofitted on to every 7M8 immediately after JT610? Good for AC for buying them, but I get the sense that they don't actually fix the MCAS issue. Hence Boeing preparing a software fix that AC didn't have when it released that (ill-advised, in retrospect) statement about 7M8 safety two days before being told to ground them. Never did figure out why AC felt the need to adopt that position so early. Why didn't they wait till more information became available?
Old Apr 8, 2019, 4:39 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by fin 645
https://www.smh.com.au/business/comp...08-p51bv0.html

A Reuters story - aside from more pilot action comments, the sensor information appears to be new:
"A sudden spike in black box data was consistent with a bird or other debris hitting the plane as it was taking off, shearing away a vital airflow sensor, said the four experts and two US officials."
If this turns out to be true, then I think it would be good news for the MAX.

It's obviously a disastrously bad design when a single failed sensor can down a plane ... but that's the MCAS issue, we're all aware of the details, and Boeing appear to be on their way to fixing it.

There was also (as I've posted before) speculation that the AOA sensor failure itself may have been caused by a common problem in both crashes. If the sensor failure in the ET crash was as simple as a bird strike .... well those things happen. Again, the system (MCAS and all) needs to be able to handle that situation, but it would be good news if there's not a systemic problem with the sensors.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 4:45 am

Just to put some perspective, someone upthread posted the original quote that implied racism. I was just reposting and adding some additional commentary.

I agree that I think some initial reactions were racism and or first-world-superiority related.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 4:54 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
Maybe I'm missing the point. I just really don't understand how anyone can comment on whether the ET pilots got it "right" or "wrong" if no one knows what the "right" way was. Maybe there was no "right" way and they were doomed all along. In which case, why bring them up?

Just before the preliminary report was publicly issued, Ethiopian Airlines and the Ethiopian Ministry of Transport engaged in a spin campaign via PR and social media basically saying that the preliminary report exonerated their pilots and pinned 100% of the blame on Boeing. This was picked up and repeated unchallenged by many media outlets and repeated here in this thread. I raised the point about the pilots actions just to point out this is nonsense; the preliminary report points to a complex interaction between hardware, software and people. Rarely if ever are aviation accidents attributed to a single factor in the final report. This is a simple fact.

The issue here is that the 7M8 is/was not airworthy in its current form. The only way the pilots become relevant here is if one believes they are the critical variable that could change everything - I.e. replacing them with an AC pilot would result in a different outcome and/or the 7M8 not being grounded in Canada.

I think(?) we agree that that is not the case. So why dwell on it? Motives notwithstanding, it comes across as deflection and obfuscation. I've become wary of that. It was, after all, the insistence "questioning" what JT and its pilots were doing/had done, that led to this grounding being postponed in the first place.
There is not a single person in this thread that I've seen arguing that the 7M8 is airworthy in its current form, that MCAS is not fundamentally flawed based on what we know about it now, or that Boeings actions in this whole thing are in any way defensible. Certainly not since we've learned more about what happened with Lion Air and ET anyway, and had the information to make better informed opinions. You'd be hard pressed to find a single credible source on the entire internet arguing any of these things in recent weeks. So maybe we can move on.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 5:54 am

@RatherBeInYOW: Not to put too fine a point on it, but there were a few folk here who insisted this was all pilot error and no 7M8 issue. Admittedly they've gone awfully quiet in recent days.

Last edited by tcook052; Apr 8, 2019 at 6:03 am Reason: Off topic
Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Folks, there are other threads in other forums in which to discuss at great length the real or perceived training levels at other airlines so those wishing to continue that discussion are encouraged to do so there but let's return this wandering thread to being more about the aircraft AC has in its fleet than tangential matters. This thread has been given a great degree of latitude given the circumstances however there are limits to this latitude.

tcook052
AC forum mod.
sram, RatherBeInYOW and Sinince like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.