Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Jan 18 2021 TC issues Airworthiness Directive for the 737 MAX
Link to post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32976892-post4096.html

Cabin photos

Post 976 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29534462-post976.html
Post 1300 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29780203-post1300.html

Cabin Layout

Interior Specs can be found here https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet.html

- Window seats may feel narrower to come as the armrests are placed "into" the "curvature" of the cabin.
- Seats with no windows feel even more narrower as there is no space created by the curvature of window.
- All bulkhead seats have very limited legroom.
- Seats 15A, 16A, 16F, 17A and 17F have limited windows.
- Exit rows 19 and 20 have more legroom than regular preferred seats.

Routes

The 737 MAX is designated to replace the A320-series. Based on announcements and schedule updates, the following specific routes will be operated by the 737 MAX in future:

YYZ-LAX (periodic flights)
YYZ-SNN (new route)
YUL-DUB (new route)
YYZ/YUL-KEF (replacing Rouge A319)
YYT-LHR (replacing Mainline A319)
YHZ-LHR (replacing Mainline B767)
Hawaii Routes YVR/YYC (replacing Rouge B767)
Many domestic trunk routes (YYZ, YVR, YUL, YYC) now operated by 7M8, replacing A320 family
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2019, 8:35 am
Suspended

My Reyjavik-Montreal flight has been changed to a Air Canada Rouge A319 plane.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: Aeroplan AA
Continuing with my "just wondering" theme, I wonder how may other airlines are thinking the same thing?
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-citing-stigma
Old Apr 5, 2019, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
Looks like:
  • There were serious issues with he AoA and probably some of the other sensors. The incident aircraft had numerous items it its maintenance history that were never resolved (they just didn't recur). Investigators and Boeing need to understand why, as this was an issue with Lion Air and there was also an issue with a Sunwing 737 MAX8 (at cruising altitude) a few months ago as well, although they managed to handle it. This is not normal.
  • The crew correctly used the stab trim cutout and tried to manually trim the aircraft. They were having issues though, because for whatever reasons they had lot of power applied and trimming the aircraft at those speeds challenging.
  • For whatever reason they re-enabled the automatic trim, which is completely against the instructions provided by Boeing. Again for whatever reason when did they were not trying to use the electric trim, then MCAS re-engaged, pushed the nose down and then they were all dead at such low altitude.
As suspected, there are issues with the plane again just like Lion Air (why were they getting such erroneous data in the first place?) and the crew made some, well, odd choices. Why did the FO not take over because his instruments were not fubar and stick shaker was not going off? With all the issues going on why did they just retract flaps and enable the autopilot and try for FL320? Why did they not follow the prescribed procedure for runaway trim and re-enabling auto trim (despite the ridiculous press releases to the contrary put out by Ethiopian Airlines and the Ethiopian Minister of Transport which were total horse junk). And then the final link in the chain was MCAS kicking in at high speed and low altitude and killing everyone.

Even though the preliminary report gives us more questions than answers, the ridiculous narrative of 737 MAX = MCAS = Boeing = Bad which is being perpetuated by most of the internet and most of the people on this board looks to be a gross oversimplification. More evidence of the terrible design of MCAS, and although the proposed changes to MCAS might have saved the lives of the people on board they could not trim the aircraft even when it was disabled. Even after the MCAS changes are implemented the problems are deeper; at least we need to understand what is going on around sensor failure and around the control problems they had independent of MCAS. And as expected it looks like the crew made some errors too. Like most other aviation accidents this looks like a chain reaction of events where we've got issues with hardware, software and people lining up in a tragic manner.

But given that there are more questions than answers now I am not sure the MAX gets re-certified any time soon. I hope AC is making plans past the end of May for this.
it was because it's not possible to manually trim the the aircraft amount necessary as per the reports due to lack of electrical assist

so having followed Boeing's own instructions but unable to trim the aircraft as the manual controls are not possible to trim the amount needed, they reactivated it to get electric assistance back ,but reactivation reengaged the MCAS. Boeing had to make the manual trim wheels a little bit smaller in the MAX, which means that more force is needed to get them going. The preliminary report indicates that at the speed of the Ethiopian plane, the first officer could not get the manual trim wheel moving after the crew had successfully disabled MCAS.

they never had a chance due to poor design, impossible instructions...all beyond the fault of pilots but squarely at Boeing
Old Apr 5, 2019, 9:42 am

Looks like:
  • There were serious issues with he AoA and probably some of the other sensors. The incident aircraft had numerous items it its maintenance history that were never resolved (they just didn't recur). Investigators and Boeing need to understand why, as this was an issue with Lion Air and there was also an issue with a Sunwing 737 MAX8 (at cruising altitude) a few months ago as well, although they managed to handle it. This is not normal.
  • The crew correctly used the stab trim cutout and tried to manually trim the aircraft. They were having issues though, because for whatever reasons they had lot of power applied and trimming the aircraft at those speeds challenging.
  • For whatever reason they re-enabled the automatic trim, which is completely against the instructions provided by Boeing. Again for whatever reason when did they were not trying to use the electric trim, then MCAS re-engaged, pushed the nose down and then they were all dead at such low altitude.
As suspected, there are issues with the plane again just like Lion Air (why were they getting such erroneous data in the first place?) and the crew made some, well, odd choices. Why did the FO not take over because his instruments were not fubar and stick shaker was not going off? With all the issues going on why did they just retract flaps and enable the autopilot and try for FL320? Why did they not follow the prescribed procedure for runaway trim and re-enabling auto trim (despite the ridiculous press releases to the contrary put out by Ethiopian Airlines and the Ethiopian Minister of Transport which were total horse junk). And then the final link in the chain was MCAS kicking in at high speed and low altitude and killing everyone.

Even though the preliminary report gives us more questions than answers, the ridiculous narrative of 737 MAX = MCAS = Boeing = Bad which is being perpetuated by most of the internet and most of the people on this board looks to be a gross oversimplification. More evidence of the terrible design of MCAS, and although the proposed changes to MCAS might have saved the lives of the people on board they could not trim the aircraft even when it was disabled. Even after the MCAS changes are implemented the problems are deeper; at least we need to understand what is going on around sensor failure and around the control problems they had independent of MCAS. And as expected it looks like the crew made some errors too. Like most other aviation accidents this looks like a chain reaction of events where we've got issues with hardware, software and people lining up in a tragic manner.

But given that there are more questions than answers now I am not sure the MAX gets re-certified any time soon. I hope AC is making plans past the end of May for this.
actually the majority of the narrative is

Ethopian Airline= African = Bad Pilots = plane crash
Lion Air = Asian = Bad Pilots = Plane Crash

Boeing = American = Smart = Good = no crash
Old Apr 5, 2019, 10:59 am

most other aviation accidents this looks like a chain reaction of events where we've got issues with hardware, software and people lining up in a tragic manner.

Personally, I like flights that don't involve a series of chain reactions multiplying the acceleration of the reaction as a result of a software and architectural design flaw. But what do I know; I'm not a pilot, and not an Asian or African one at that, so what do I know? I'm just a PAX.

I'm on record as saying October. I'm thinking now even that is optimistic.
D582 and J. Leslie like this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 11:33 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
Personally, I like flights that don't involve a series of chain reactions multiplying the acceleration of the reaction as a result of a software and architectural design flaw. But what do I know; I'm not a pilot, and not an Asian or African one at that, so what do I know? I'm just a PAX.

I'm on record as saying October. I'm thinking now even that is optimistic.
I think the only question is how many other aircraft they can purchase to back fill and if they can accelerate the introduction of the C-series.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by gilboman
so having followed Boeing's own instructions but unable to trim the aircraft as the manual controls are not possible to trim the amount needed, they reactivated it to get electric assistance back ,but reactivation reengaged the MCAS. Boeing had to make the manual trim wheels a little bit smaller in the MAX, which means that more force is needed to get them going. The preliminary report indicates that at the speed of the Ethiopian plane, the first officer could not get the manual trim wheel moving after the crew had successfully disabled MCAS.
Most likely because, in the confusion, they forgot basic things like controlling airspeed. He couldn't manually trim the plane at that speed, and although it is hard to tell from the preliminary report, they made some difficult to understand decisions with the electric trim when it was enabled. And they didn't "follow Boeing's own instructions".

Originally Posted by gilboman
they never had a chance due to poor design, impossible instructions...all beyond the fault of pilots but squarely at Boeing
Yes, that is exactly how these things end up working. Always 100% one factor any no other factors involved. And of course we should draw definite conclusions from the preliminary report.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: AC: E75K, Marriott :Titanium, National: EXEC ELITE
I don't think there's any chance the model gets scrapped, and as soon as they are recertified, AC and everyone else will start flying them again. There is just no feasible replacement on the horizon in the timeframe that airlines will need.

The real question will be how many people will avoid the MAX when it is re-introduced. Thinking like the FT member I am, I'm hoping for some smoking mileage runs deals on Max routes when the plane is reintroduced later this year to try and entice people back. $299RT YYC-OGG in Comfort? I'll take 3, please.

***None of this is intended to minimize the tragedies of the crash victims in any way.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:12 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
Most likely because, in the confusion, they forgot basic things like controlling airspeed.
Hmmm, I'll bite. How would you suggest to decrease the airspeed in their situation without causing the nose drop even more?
Mauricio23 and CZAMFlyer like this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:21 pm

Most likely because, in the confusion, they forgot basic things like controlling airspeed.
Personally, too, I like pilots who don't become confused while having wild up and down velocity changes, crazy altitude varieties in a short time, and unresponsive controls in a plane that is wildly out of control.

Maybe we should recruit folks who do a lot of roller coaster rides at Canada's Wonderland. Might make up for the lack of real 737Max sim training.

Just a personal favourite, I suppose. But what do I know. I'm just a Pax.
D582, pappypappy and canadiancow like this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:45 pm

Programs: Aeroplan AA
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy

Maybe we should recruit folks who do a lot of roller coaster rides at Canada's Wonderland. Might make up for the lack of real 737Max sim training.

No need - there's enough experts here on this thread.
InTheAirGuy likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:28 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by WildcatYXU
Hmmm, I'll bite. How would you suggest to decrease the airspeed in their situation without causing the nose drop even more?
Given that we control airspeed with pitch and altitude with power, and that the option of adjusting pitch (upwards) was largely absent, I think that's a great question.

I'm also curious how RatherBeInYOW came to the conclusion that "they forgot" anything?
canadiancow likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Pull up, duh
m.y, marke190 and CZAMFlyer like this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:25 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
Smile

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Pull up, duh
Oh, silly me...I didn't think about such a simple solution. I really don't know how could I miss it
canadiancow likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 3:33 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Oh, silly me...I didn't think about such a simple solution. I really don't know how could I miss it
Yeah, I wonder why the pilots didn't just pull back on the .... oh ....

canadiancow likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.