Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Jan 18 2021 TC issues Airworthiness Directive for the 737 MAX
Link to post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32976892-post4096.html

Cabin photos

Post 976 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29534462-post976.html
Post 1300 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29780203-post1300.html

Cabin Layout

Interior Specs can be found here https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet.html

- Window seats may feel narrower to come as the armrests are placed "into" the "curvature" of the cabin.
- Seats with no windows feel even more narrower as there is no space created by the curvature of window.
- All bulkhead seats have very limited legroom.
- Seats 15A, 16A, 16F, 17A and 17F have limited windows.
- Exit rows 19 and 20 have more legroom than regular preferred seats.

Routes

The 737 MAX is designated to replace the A320-series. Based on announcements and schedule updates, the following specific routes will be operated by the 737 MAX in future:

YYZ-LAX (periodic flights)
YYZ-SNN (new route)
YUL-DUB (new route)
YYZ/YUL-KEF (replacing Rouge A319)
YYT-LHR (replacing Mainline A319)
YHZ-LHR (replacing Mainline B767)
Hawaii Routes YVR/YYC (replacing Rouge B767)
Many domestic trunk routes (YYZ, YVR, YUL, YYC) now operated by 7M8, replacing A320 family
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2019, 5:15 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yulred
That is pretty damn alarming. I really hope his hypothesis is not true.

But I'm sure many here believe that AC pilots could and would have saved the day. Because Canada.
His comments are not that speculative .... here's an official press release from Ethiopian Airlines:
https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...on-ET-302.html

It says (in part):
The preliminary report clearly showed that the Ethiopian Airlines Pilots who were commanding Flight ET 302/10 March have followed the Boeing recommended and FAA approved emergency procedures to handle the most difficult emergency situation created on the airplane. Despite their hard work and full compliance with the emergency procedures, it was very unfortunate that they could not recover the airplane from the persistence of nose diving.
Scary stuff.
AJchang and Jumper Jack like this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 7:10 am

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
Originally Posted by The Lev
the Seattle times does a good job of explaining what Bjorn Fehrm is getting at in layman's terms...
"Aviation safety consultant John Cox, chief executive of Safety Operating Systems and formerly the top safety official for the Air Line Pilots Association, said that’s because in the later 737 models that followed the -200, what was called a “runaway stabilizer” ceased to be a problem"

Boeing really did go for the common type rating - it brought back a serious flight control issue that had last been seen on the 737-200.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by RangerNS
That depends on the root cause, then. ...
Precisely.

And, yet we still have all sorts of speculative blaming and scenario forecasting based upon much less than thorough root cause analysis (or at least disclosure of such).
Old Apr 4, 2019, 3:45 pm

Programs: Aeroplan AA
Stay tuned...
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...box=1554414266
Old Apr 4, 2019, 3:51 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by J. Leslie
MCAS and at least “an additional software problem”... how many other software problems — or, indeed, problems of any kind — will surprise operators, regulators, passengers and, seemingly, designers of the plane?

Definitely not feeling as confident about (eventually) stepping onto this plane as I was yesterday.
D582 and canadiancow like this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 3:51 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by robsaw
Precisely.

And, yet we still have all sorts of speculative blaming and scenario forecasting based upon much less than thorough root cause analysis (or at least disclosure of such).
Yes speculation, which is fun.

My only argument is that the aircraft is "not fine" and I don't need to be an expert to see that. Two have crashed.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 4:08 pm

Programs: Aeroplan AA
Originally Posted by RangerNS
Yes speculation, which is fun.

My only argument is that the aircraft is "not fine" and I don't need to be an expert to see that. Two have crashed.
My totally non-expert opinion leans toward "not fine" as well. It makes me wonder what else is wrong with this thing.
Plumber likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 9:29 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by canopus27
His comments are not that speculative .... here's an official press release from Ethiopian Airlines:
https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...on-ET-302.html

It says (in part):

Scary stuff.
Yes. It is one thing to say there is an error in the control algorithm in the software. It is a very different situation if they disconnected the computer and they still can not recover the aircraft. That is much harder to fix that a software patch.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 9:45 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by J. Leslie
It makes me wonder what else is wrong with this thing.
This!!
I have been wondering the same thing!
Old Apr 4, 2019, 10:53 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Half joking here.

after the long fix/certification process is done worldwide and the 737MAX returns to the skies, much of the public will fear this aircraft for years.

with reports of booking engines allowing people to filter out the 737max from flight results, someone could start selling an insurance policy that monitors for changes and kicks in if you book a NON 737 max flight and the airline changes schedule or does a last minute equipment swap to a MAX. The policy would pay for changes or tickets on a non-MAX plane

If nothing else they'd get worldwide media attention by publishing a website and getting ready to go to market.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 11:35 pm

Programs: AC 75K (*G), NEXUS
Originally Posted by expert7700
Half joking here.

after the long fix/certification process is done worldwide and the 737MAX returns to the skies, much of the public will fear this aircraft for years.

with reports of booking engines allowing people to filter out the 737max from flight results, someone could start selling an insurance policy that monitors for changes and kicks in if you book a NON 737 max flight and the airline changes schedule or does a last minute equipment swap to a MAX. The policy would pay for changes or tickets on a non-MAX plane

If nothing else they'd get worldwide media attention by publishing a website and getting ready to go to market.
Or they could just sign up for the excellent "Unofficial AC Schedule Change Notifier" crafted by canadiancow @:-)

https://flyertalk.canadiancow.com/ac...ange/index.php
Old Apr 4, 2019, 11:45 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by marke190
Or they could just sign up for the excellent "Unofficial AC Schedule Change Notifier" crafted by canadiancow @:-)

https://flyertalk.canadiancow.com/ac...ange/index.php
Umm, I think the point was that this policy would pay the change fee in the event you get swapped onto a Max. I'm guessing canadiancow is not going to pay that fee for everyone
Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:06 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by Fiordland
Yes. It is one thing to say there is an error in the control algorithm in the software. It is a very different situation if they disconnected the computer and they still can not recover the aircraft. That is much harder to fix that a software patch.
Looks like:
  • There were serious issues with he AoA and probably some of the other sensors. The incident aircraft had numerous items it its maintenance history that were never resolved (they just didn't recur). Investigators and Boeing need to understand why, as this was an issue with Lion Air and there was also an issue with a Sunwing 737 MAX8 (at cruising altitude) a few months ago as well, although they managed to handle it. This is not normal.
  • The crew correctly used the stab trim cutout and tried to manually trim the aircraft. They were having issues though, because for whatever reasons they had lot of power applied and trimming the aircraft at those speeds challenging.
  • For whatever reason they re-enabled the automatic trim, which is completely against the instructions provided by Boeing. Again for whatever reason when did they were not trying to use the electric trim, then MCAS re-engaged, pushed the nose down and then they were all dead at such low altitude.
As suspected, there are issues with the plane again just like Lion Air (why were they getting such erroneous data in the first place?) and the crew made some, well, odd choices. Why did the FO not take over because his instruments were not fubar and stick shaker was not going off? With all the issues going on why did they just retract flaps and enable the autopilot and try for FL320? Why did they not follow the prescribed procedure for runaway trim and re-enabling auto trim (despite the ridiculous press releases to the contrary put out by Ethiopian Airlines and the Ethiopian Minister of Transport which were total horse junk). And then the final link in the chain was MCAS kicking in at high speed and low altitude and killing everyone.

Even though the preliminary report gives us more questions than answers, the ridiculous narrative of 737 MAX = MCAS = Boeing = Bad which is being perpetuated by most of the internet and most of the people on this board looks to be a gross oversimplification. More evidence of the terrible design of MCAS, and although the proposed changes to MCAS might have saved the lives of the people on board they could not trim the aircraft even when it was disabled. Even after the MCAS changes are implemented the problems are deeper; at least we need to understand what is going on around sensor failure and around the control problems they had independent of MCAS. And as expected it looks like the crew made some errors too. Like most other aviation accidents this looks like a chain reaction of events where we've got issues with hardware, software and people lining up in a tragic manner.

But given that there are more questions than answers now I am not sure the MAX gets re-certified any time soon. I hope AC is making plans past the end of May for this.
pitz likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:30 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
@RatherBeInYOW, I agree with all you wrote.

When it comes to the crew's decisions, I have two additional observations.

First, as much as we all hope that the crews on our particular flights are the very best - by definition, half the crews out there are "below average". Planes should be built to be able to fly reliably with not just average crews, but also by the bottom few. Of course there are standards, but we can't hope, expect, or require that every crew member be the best of the best. The plane needs to be designed to handle that.

Secondly, I'm really reluctant to criticize behaviors of the crew when all hell is going off in the cockpit. It sounds like this crew did follow the prescribed actions (the stab cutoff), found that they still had control problems, probably panicked, and started to improvise. No, that's not great .... but it seems only fair to cut them a little slack. Combine the obvious fear & panic that occurred, with the above observation that not every crew will be above average .... and it may not be an ideal state, but it's not that hard to understand either.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 7:23 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by canopus27
First, as much as we all hope that the crews on our particular flights are the very best - by definition, half the crews out there are "below average". Planes should be built to be able to fly reliably with not just average crews, but also by the bottom few. Of course there are standards, but we can't hope, expect, or require that every crew member be the best of the best. The plane needs to be designed to handle that.

Secondly, I'm really reluctant to criticize behaviors of the crew when all hell is going off in the cockpit. It sounds like this crew did follow the prescribed actions (the stab cutoff), found that they still had control problems, probably panicked, and started to improvise. No, that's not great .... but it seems only fair to cut them a little slack. Combine the obvious fear & panic that occurred, with the above observation that not every crew will be above average .... and it may not be an ideal state, but it's not that hard to understand either.
I couldn't agree more. This was a fairly junior crew (Captain who was young with a lot of FO hours but rather few Captain hours, and a FO who was brand new) but that isn't the point; they were trained to standards and the systems in the aircraft failed them. It is too soon to say how much of a role they played in the crash, just that they played one, but it certainly seems like they were battling against very difficult odds with the plane. We won't know more for many months most likely.
canopus27 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.