Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Jan 18 2021 TC issues Airworthiness Directive for the 737 MAX
Link to post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32976892-post4096.html

Cabin photos

Post 976 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29534462-post976.html
Post 1300 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29780203-post1300.html

Cabin Layout

Interior Specs can be found here https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet.html

- Window seats may feel narrower to come as the armrests are placed "into" the "curvature" of the cabin.
- Seats with no windows feel even more narrower as there is no space created by the curvature of window.
- All bulkhead seats have very limited legroom.
- Seats 15A, 16A, 16F, 17A and 17F have limited windows.
- Exit rows 19 and 20 have more legroom than regular preferred seats.

Routes

The 737 MAX is designated to replace the A320-series. Based on announcements and schedule updates, the following specific routes will be operated by the 737 MAX in future:

YYZ-LAX (periodic flights)
YYZ-SNN (new route)
YUL-DUB (new route)
YYZ/YUL-KEF (replacing Rouge A319)
YYT-LHR (replacing Mainline A319)
YHZ-LHR (replacing Mainline B767)
Hawaii Routes YVR/YYC (replacing Rouge B767)
Many domestic trunk routes (YYZ, YVR, YUL, YYC) now operated by 7M8, replacing A320 family
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2019, 2:01 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by 24left
Source: https://www.pprune.org/10421474-post1756.html

From the Seattle Times

Flawed analysis, failed oversight: How Boeing and FAA certified the suspect 737 MAX flight control system

QUOTE:

Current and former engineers directly involved with the evaluations or familiar with the document shared details of Boeing’s “System Safety Analysis” of MCAS, which The Seattle Times confirmed.

The safety analysis:
  • Understated the power of the new flight control system, which was designed to swivel the horizontal tail to push the nose of the plane down to avert a stall. When the planes later entered service, MCAS was capable of moving the tail more than four times farther than was stated in the initial safety analysis document.
  • Failed to account for how the system could reset itself each time a pilot responded, thereby missing the potential impact of the system repeatedly pushing the airplane’s nose downward.
  • Assessed a failure of the system as one level below “catastrophic.” But even that “hazardous” danger level should have precluded activation of the system based on input from a single sensor — and yet that’s how it was designed.
The people who spoke to The Seattle Times and shared details of the safety analysis all spoke on condition of anonymity to protect their jobs at the FAA and other aviation organizations.
Originally Posted by YYT82

This is the biggest problem.

I disagree with the comments a finance trained professional would inherently place $ over safety vs an engineering trained professional.
I have seen my own share of garbage from both disciplinaries, In fact I have seen more students from the eng side making some very immoral/questionable decisions.

FYI Boeing's current CEO came from Aerospace background.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 2:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
I disagree with the comments a finance trained professional would inherently place $ over safety vs an engineering trained professional.
I have seen my own share of garbage from both disciplinaries, In fact I have seen more students from the eng side making some very immoral/questionable decisions.

The "bad" engineers I've worked with are generally the ones who don't just ask questions. It's not that they don't want to be safe, it's that they assumed the specs met all safety requirements.

Whereas the PMs or finance people are expecting the engineers to actually evaluate the design to ensure it's reasonable.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

He has not been an engineer for quite a while. Plus, he comes the military side of things, where safety is secondary to the mission. Bottom line: it sure feels like there were some very unhappy engineers at Boeing. Shades of the Challenger disaster, managers overruling engineers over safety concerns, until the engineers let themselves be brownbeaten into going along. The Boisjoly tapes remain good material.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 2:16 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by Stranger
He has not been an engineer for quite a while. Plus, he comes the military side of things, where safety is secondary to the mission. Bottom line: it sure feels like there were some very unhappy engineers at Boeing. Shades of the Challenger disaster, managers overruling engineers over safety concerns, until the engineers let themselves be brownbeaten into going along. The Boisjoly tapes remain good material.
Lets be very clear though that an engineer who is promoted into a People Leader position is still from the engineering background. (No matter how long ago it has been)
It might have merit if in the challenger disaster - these managers who override the concerns (or I guess the industry term is "Risk-Accept") actually are MBAs from Wharton - and were not promoted from the existing engineer pool.

I just think there is a danger in generalizations such as this.

But back to the 737Max topic - there is def a trend now at Boeing with both the issues we saw with 787 & 737Max that concerns me.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 2:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Lets be very clear though that an engineer who is promoted into a People Leader position is still from the engineering background. (No matter how long ago it has been)
It might have merit if in the challenger disaster - these managers who override the concerns (or I guess the industry term is "Risk-Accept") actually are MBAs from Wharton - and were not promoted from the existing engineer pool.

I just think there is a danger in generalizations such as this.

But back to the 737Max topic - there is def a trend now at Boeing with both the issues we saw with 787 & 737Max that concerns me.
Well, you often posted how you tried/succeeded/failed to avoid the 77HD. There aren't as many of those as there are 787s and 7M8s at AC, so......

As for the endless debate about engineers versus finance people, it's not one or the other, it's not one group that is responsible for the current issues with the 7M8. All types of professions were part of the group that either made the decisions at Boeing that have us all where were are today. It doesn't matter at this point if the engineers pointed out the risks or if the accountants and the CEO chose to disregard them, or if the risk assessment done by Boeing was wrong.

There are plenty of mistakes and poor judgement to go around.

And let's not forget the FAA who approved all of it. They are also responsible and now, airlines around the world are wondering if they should have let the Brazilian regulators test, analyze and decide...and not the FAA.
Jumper Jack likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 2:55 pm

It certainly wouldn't have been a binary "we're gonna save a bunch of money *or* we'll engineer the MCAS system to be safe". It was most likely a long series of events, which began with decisions made with respect to long-term workforce management, the use of contractors and outsourcing, the fact of wanting to re-use the 737 type certificate, and so on and so forth. The engineering interviewing process has morphed in most cases from being one of assessing technical competence, led by engineers themselves, to being one that is dominated by HR types who basically are screening for "yes-men" and overly concentrate on factors such as their perception of how well a person will get along with a team, effectively placing psychological factors ahead of technical competence.

Even subtle things, like linking engineering pay to overall company performance through incentive plans, or the institution of rigid salary bands that preclude the company from recruiting top talent, can fundamentally shift a culture away from safety. These are the types of decisions that end up being made by MBA types, that can lead to outcomes such as what we see today.
skybluesea and canadiancow like this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:23 pm

Read John Ostrower's report. Excellent insight on how we got here.

https://theaircurrent.com/aviation-s...n-the-737-max/
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:41 pm

And so it begins:

““After reviewing the latest development, especially the increasing customer concerns towards the MAX 8, we have lost the confidence in the product,” – President Commissioner of Garuda Indonesia

"Garuda is looking to dump its 737 Max deal with just one delivery thus far..... "
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:52 pm

A new damning report from Seattle Times
https://www.seattletimes.com/business/boeing-aerospace/failed-certification-faa-missed-safety-issues-in-the-737-max-system-implicated-in-the-lion-air-crash/

Pulled some quotes directly from the article that was shocking to me. (Beyond 24Left's summary)

The FAA, citing lack of funding and resources, has over the years delegated increasing authority to Boeing to take on more of the work of certifying the safety of its own airplanes.
“There was constant pressure to re-evaluate our initial decisions,” the former engineer said. “And even after we had reassessed it … there was continued discussion by management about delegating even more items down to the Boeing Company.”
But several FAA technical experts said in interviews that as certification proceeded, managers prodded them to speed the process. Development of the MAX was lagging nine months behind the rival Airbus A320neo. Time was of the essence for Boeing
After the Lion Air Flight 610 crash, Boeing for the first time provided to airlines details about MCAS. Boeing’s bulletin to the airlines stated that the limit of MCAS’s command was 2.5 degrees.

That number was new to FAA engineers who had seen 0.6 degrees in the safety assessment.

“The FAA believed the airplane was designed to the 0.6 limit, and that’s what the foreign regulatory authorities thought, too,” said an FAA engineer. “It makes a difference in your assessment of the hazard involved.”
At a limit of 2.5 degrees, two cycles of MCAS without correction would have been enough to reach the maximum nose-down effect.

In the final seconds, the black box data shows the captain resumed control and pulled back up with high force. But it was too late. The plane dived into the sea at more than 500 miles per hour.

Dennis Tajer, a spokesman for the Allied Pilots Association at American Airlines, said his training on moving from the old 737 NG model cockpit to the new 737 MAX consisted of little more than a one-hour session on an iPad, with no simulator training.
Like all 737s, the MAX actually has two of the sensors, one on each side of the fuselage near the cockpit. But the MCAS was designed to take a reading from only one of them.

Lemme said Boeing could have designed the system to compare the readings from the two vanes, which would have indicated if one of them was way off.

Alternatively, the system could have been designed to check that the angle-of-attack reading was accurate while the plane was taxiing on the ground before takeoff, when the angle of attack should read zero.
Did Boeing and FAA play with people's lives by rushing through the cert process, as well as not informing FAA of a update to their MCAS that has a limit more than 4X of what the FAA was told?

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Mar 17, 2019 at 4:06 pm
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:53 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by pitz
It certainly wouldn't have been a binary "we're gonna save a bunch of money *or* we'll engineer the MCAS system to be safe". It was most likely a long series of events, which began with decisions made with respect to long-term workforce management, the use of contractors and outsourcing, the fact of wanting to re-use the 737 type certificate, and so on and so forth. The engineering interviewing process has morphed in most cases from being one of assessing technical competence, led by engineers themselves, to being one that is dominated by HR types who basically are screening for "yes-men" and overly concentrate on factors such as their perception of how well a person will get along with a team, effectively placing psychological factors ahead of technical competence.

Even subtle things, like linking engineering pay to overall company performance through incentive plans, or the institution of rigid salary bands that preclude the company from recruiting top talent, can fundamentally shift a culture away from safety. These are the types of decisions that end up being made by MBA types, that can lead to outcomes such as what we see today.
Thank you.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 4:09 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I feel like getting a software fix out so quickly is actually the wrong move from a public perception standpoint. While nobody wants to see this drag on and they’ve been working on this since Lion Air, it does come across as a knee-jerk reaction to the grounding
Old Mar 17, 2019, 4:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete
Jumper Jack likes this.

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 24, 2020 at 12:34 pm
Old Mar 17, 2019, 4:47 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Lemme said Boeing could have designed the system to compare the readings from the two vanes, which would have indicated if one of them was way off.
Other sources have indicated that Boeing does indeed perform this check but only indicates an issue to the pilots as part of some form of add-on package that Lion Air did not purchase.

Regardless of shortcomings with pilot training and aircraft maintenance, it seems odd that such a simple 'trouble light' would only be surfaced as part of an optional extra though. One more piece of valuable information the pilots could have either acted upon or ignored.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 6:27 pm

Programs: AC E50K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Stranger
Turf issues is part of the context. There are universities with a program in "software engineering," possibly run jointly between computer science and electrical/computer engineering. This said, I am personally skeptical that licencing does any good. If you compare between countries that have licencing and those which don't, I don't think one can make a case that licensing does anything for you. Compare, say, the UK and Germany. The licencing thing really is an offshoot of the original UK tradition whereby engineers did not really come out of universities but from the trades, plus licensing. At the end of the day it's mainly paperwork and bureaucracy.
As an EE who specialized in computer engineering and took numerous comp sci courses, I strongly disagree. I don't want to start a p*ssing match with comp sci grads, but the degrees are very different and prepare the grads to do different things. Again, not to offend my comp sci friends, it's a lot easier to get a comp sci degree and the resultant degree is not nearly so well-rounded with courses that emphasize system design, control theory, risk, reliability, fault-tolerance, law and liability. There is a huge difference between developing a non-mission critical piece of software, such as MS Office, a website, a game or an app that's given away for free in itunes or google play, than developing software to control an aircraft, an automobile, a ship, a train, a rocket, a missile or a nuclear reactor. There is specific legislation in most countries that strictly regulate who can take responsibility for the design of safety critical systems, such as structures, bridges, etc. Engineers assume personal liability for their designs. It's not only illegal or someone to represent themselves as an engineer, if an engineer claims to have expertise in an area without such expertise, it's subject to disciplinary action and even deregistration in particularly egregious cases. Only Telsa knows for sure, but based on the accidents, I doubt their autopilot is based on sound engineering. Only Boeing knows exactly how MCAS works, so speculation that it's poorly engineered is just that, speculation.
shadowspar and canadiancow like this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 6:31 pm

Programs: AC E35k, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Other sources have indicated that Boeing does indeed perform this check but only indicates an issue to the pilots as part of some form of add-on package that Lion Air did not purchase.

Regardless of shortcomings with pilot training and aircraft maintenance, it seems odd that such a simple 'trouble light' would only be surfaced as part of an optional extra though. One more piece of valuable information the pilots could have either acted upon or ignored.
My understanding is that the add on package does give an AOA disagree error on both pilots displays. However I don't think the add-on addresses the fundamental issue that the MCAS only uses one of the AOA sensors to determine when and how to activate. The Seattle Times piece quoting Peter Lemme suggests that a more robust approach (my phrasing) would be to consider both AOA inputs plus alert to a discrepancy between them.

Does feel that all of this should be standard on every 737 MAX though, I agree.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.