Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Jan 18 2021 TC issues Airworthiness Directive for the 737 MAX
Link to post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32976892-post4096.html

Cabin photos

Post 976 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29534462-post976.html
Post 1300 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29780203-post1300.html

Cabin Layout

Interior Specs can be found here https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet.html

- Window seats may feel narrower to come as the armrests are placed "into" the "curvature" of the cabin.
- Seats with no windows feel even more narrower as there is no space created by the curvature of window.
- All bulkhead seats have very limited legroom.
- Seats 15A, 16A, 16F, 17A and 17F have limited windows.
- Exit rows 19 and 20 have more legroom than regular preferred seats.

Routes

The 737 MAX is designated to replace the A320-series. Based on announcements and schedule updates, the following specific routes will be operated by the 737 MAX in future:

YYZ-LAX (periodic flights)
YYZ-SNN (new route)
YUL-DUB (new route)
YYZ/YUL-KEF (replacing Rouge A319)
YYT-LHR (replacing Mainline A319)
YHZ-LHR (replacing Mainline B767)
Hawaii Routes YVR/YYC (replacing Rouge B767)
Many domestic trunk routes (YYZ, YVR, YUL, YYC) now operated by 7M8, replacing A320 family
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:15 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by Stranger
. But I'll stick to my guns, Boeing was very wrong not to have redesigned the horizontal stabilizer to ensure it could handle the larger engines. A software fix won't solve that and I strongly suspect that the issue will continue making the Max less safe than any modern plane, less safe than it should be and than what the public has come to expect.
Maybe. But that requires a lot of insight into the actual design parameters which most of us do not have.

But keep in mind that older and "inherently unstable" planes like the F-117 and B-2 fly just fine (and fast) because of sophisticated fly by wire systems. Aircraft stopped being analog a long time ago.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:15 am
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ffsim
What could they possibly have to discuss? .
Flight data? Problems they have had with the aircraft? I can not see just one Canadian airline grounding their max fleet without the other one at the same time.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RangerNS
They can be trusted to care about their bottom line, for sure. I don't think we can generalize to a massive PAX-life-is-irrelevant conspiracy.

There is enough competitiveness in the market that if Boeing, er, aggressively rounding in their favor, maintenance schedules then customers would stop buying them. Consider the E190 being retired well before EOL because of their operating costs. Widgets for a 777X they may have you by the short and curlys, but for a 737MAX, there is an "easily" fungible alternative.
Of course no conspiracy, more like bean counters indulging in wishful thinking and insisting in pushing the limits of an antiquated frame beyond its limits, too quick and too cheap. But widhing thinking only will do until things happen. As to competitiveness, the point remains that the competitive strength of the Max was that it was cheap. But the past tense may end up sticking. Noe it is becoming clear that they bought cheap and the indeed got cheap. In some ways this reminds me of the competition between the DC-10 and the L1011. Former was rushed to market with major issues and turned out to be a poorly desgined lemon while the L1011 was a good design. Except of course the Max is not going to kill the 320Neo. Might kill itself instead as you say when comparing with the E90.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by 5mm
Flight data? Problems they have had with the aircraft? I can not see just one Canadian airline grounding their max fleet without the other one at the same time.
Presumably it would be up to TC to collect that data, analyze it, and make that decision.

My opinion on airlines that have already voluntarily grounded their fleets is that they're doing so not out of "an abundance of caution" but rather because they're placating their customers' (possibly irrational / premature / unwarranted / unjustified) fears. Basically, it's a marketing decision rather than an engineering one. And, as such, there's no right or wrong answer -- maybe it's the right call for their customer base, maybe it isn't.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
My understanding of the Max issue it is with regard to the AOA and the autopilot. The aircraft thinks it is entering a stall so creates a nose down attitude to prevent the stall.

Boeing issued bulletins about this and enhanced training was put onto the airlines and pilots for awareness of this, disengage AP and carry on.

Problems as I see them, the aircraft shouldn't behave this way to begin with and some airlines training is better than others.

I wouldn't hesitate to fly an AC, WJ, BA Max
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Maybe. But that requires a lot of insight into the actual design parameters which most of us do not have.
More a basic philosophical design issue than a complex dynamics one though. Stability. Coming to that:

But keep in mind that older and "inherently unstable" planes like the F-117 and B-2 fly just fine (and fast) because of sophisticated fly by wire systems. Aircraft stopped being analog a long time ago.
The fly by wire thing is merely an enabling thing, otherwise orthogonal to the issue of stability. As you point out, indeed military planes are unstable by design, which increases their agility. Because the airbus design was based from scratch to rely on computes for envelope protection etc., they are closer to the stability limit than previous designs. For instance you notice that their empennage looks small. But still they are within the stability limit. As I mentioned previously, the BAC-111 tuned out to have a stability problem, the deep stall situation, but that was discovered after it was already in service, and it took one crash to have it dealt with, although also as a bit of a bandaid thing. But the Boeing folks knew the new engines on the Max could lead to a pitch up situation that could increase the angle of attack to the point where the wings would stall, and that the horizontal stabilizer, the small wing in the tail, was too small to be able to counterbalance. They instead decided to keep the old tail that was too small and instead implemented in software a fix whereby if the angle of attack would become too large, hence risking an uncontrollable stall, the nose would be pushed down, I believe using the trim. To add insult to injury, the based this only upon the signal from a single angle of attack probe. Disregarding that these primary devices (including pitot probes) are invariably the weakest link. One has to scratch one's head, wondering where their engineers were.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: Aeroplan
AC Website is now showing AC860 cancelled tonight.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:38 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Symmetre
It took one crash to ground DC-10s, but the type had multiple incidents relating to cargo doors opening in flight before the TK fatality. One could argue that those lives could have been saved had regulators acted more promptly.
IIRC, only one prior incident over Windsor ON in 1972 of the cargo door opening in flight. Plus I don't recall the DC10 was grounded post the TK crash in 1974. It was after the AA crash in 1979 at ORD that grounded it for a while. Whilst the cause of the engine separation was blamed on faulty AA maintenance, this should not in itself have caused the aircraft to crash.

It was the uncommanded (and un-indicated in the cockpit) leading edge slat retraction on the wing (due to severed hydraulic lines) that had lost the engine that caused the wing to stall and subsequent crash. Despite AA being blamed for the original engine separation issue, mandatory changes were also issued to McD-D to install one-way (no return) valves in the slat hydraulic lines to prevent uncommanded retraction in the event of pressure loss. IIRC, both L1011 and 747 already had these.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by Stranger
But I'll stick to my guns, Boeing was very wrong not to have redesigned the horizontal stabilizer to ensure it could handle the larger engines. A software fix won't solve that and I strongly suspect that the issue will continue making the Max less safe than any modern plane, less safe than it should be and than what the public has come to expect.
I know nothing about the stability or lack thereof of the horizontal stab. I was referring to the MCAS issue that is being blamed for the Lion Air crash, and the subsequent issuing of the procedures in how to negate it. If the software fix is to address horizontal stab concerns, then I've got my Max issues conflated.

Originally Posted by ffsim
My opinion on airlines that have already voluntarily grounded their fleets is that they're doing so not out of "an abundance of caution" but rather because they're placating their customers' (possibly irrational / premature / unwarranted / unjustified) fears. Basically, it's a marketing decision rather than an engineering one.
Maybe it's as simplistic as soothing the cattle. But I'd expect those fears extend into the boardrooms, and some executives are thinking three steps ahead and wondering about their own liabilities in the event they face blowback from continuing to operate the aircraft beyond the point where suspicions were raised. Those suspicions gain credibility when shared by the regulators in the UK, Australia, Singapore and South Korea. There's also the possibility that some regulatory agencies are making a political statement (China?).
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: AC E50K MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
German, French, Irish, Omani airspace are now closed to the 737MAX.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
I know nothing about the stability or lack thereof of the horizontal stab. I was referring to the MCAS issue that is being blamed for the Lion Air crash, and the subsequent issuing of the procedures in how to negate it. If the software fix is to address horizontal stab concerns, then I've got my Max issues conflated.
The MCAS thing was implemented as a cheap fix to a major stability issue. True that most of the talk focuses on how poorly it was implemented, not so much on how it should never have been there in the first place.
bawm and CZAMFlyer like this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, AC 35K, SPG GOLD
SWA just decided to let passengers change their flight for free if they are worried on flying the MAX but not grounding them (yet). Maybe AC should do the same. It would be a good PR move.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: AC SE100K
Originally Posted by Cozmo456
My commute to Montreal just got swapped to a 7M8. Calling concierge now ...

Other than the safety issues, the hard armrests leave bruises on my elbow. This is in J. In Y good luck finding it.
How was it handled? SDC fee?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by chebert999
SWA just decided to let passengers change their flight for free if they are worried on flying the MAX but not grounding them (yet). Maybe AC should do the same. It would be a good PR move.
AA's cabin crew union told its members yesterday that they're allowed to opt out of working the 7M8 if they want without penalty. All airlines should offer that tho their crews and customers. As you say, it's a solid PR move.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete
CZAMFlyer likes this.

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 31, 2020 at 10:54 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.