Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Jan 18 2021 TC issues Airworthiness Directive for the 737 MAX
Link to post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32976892-post4096.html

Cabin photos

Post 976 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29534462-post976.html
Post 1300 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29780203-post1300.html

Cabin Layout

Interior Specs can be found here https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet.html

- Window seats may feel narrower to come as the armrests are placed "into" the "curvature" of the cabin.
- Seats with no windows feel even more narrower as there is no space created by the curvature of window.
- All bulkhead seats have very limited legroom.
- Seats 15A, 16A, 16F, 17A and 17F have limited windows.
- Exit rows 19 and 20 have more legroom than regular preferred seats.

Routes

The 737 MAX is designated to replace the A320-series. Based on announcements and schedule updates, the following specific routes will be operated by the 737 MAX in future:

YYZ-LAX (periodic flights)
YYZ-SNN (new route)
YUL-DUB (new route)
YYZ/YUL-KEF (replacing Rouge A319)
YYT-LHR (replacing Mainline A319)
YHZ-LHR (replacing Mainline B767)
Hawaii Routes YVR/YYC (replacing Rouge B767)
Many domestic trunk routes (YYZ, YVR, YUL, YYC) now operated by 7M8, replacing A320 family
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:37 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Jagboi
Assuming it isn't mandated, any bets AC will be among the last (if at all) to voluntarily ground it's fleet?
That's for certain! I'm sure they have all their lobbyists working overtime convincing the govt not to mandate it. Profit seems to come before safety at AC.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:39 pm
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kjnangre
That's for certain! I'm sure they have all their lobbyists working overtime convincing the govt not to mandate it. Profit seems to come before safety at AC.
Very strong statement without any proof. I would think AC and WS grounding of the max would be linked together.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by 5mm

Very strong statement without any proof.
You clearly missed the words "seems to". If I had proof, I'd have used the word "does" instead.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:45 pm
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kjnangre
You clearly missed the words "seems to". If I had proof, I'd have used the word "does" instead.
No. Anyway It is still a strong statement.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by 5mm

It is still a strong statement.
In my opinion: more than their fair share of close calls and, IMO, poor responses to them. Let's not derail this thread tho. I'll leave it at that, you can have the final response on this if you'd like it.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
I'll join the camp that says they most certainly won't ground their fleet unless TC mandates it. And TC won't unless the FAA does so first. Tin hat aficionados might explore the relationship between the FAA and the Boeing Corporation.

I don't necessarily disagree with AC's decision at this early stage to keep the plane flying; there is simply no sure reason to tether them to the ground. Hopefully the investigators make some early determinations.
Very interested to see how this pans out for AC and other airlines declining to ground this aircraft. If it comes out within the ensuing week or 2 that there was an issue with the plane (whatever that may be), won't AC and other airlines (and Boeing) look incredibly irresponsible ? How do you explain away allowing your customers & employees to fly on an unsafe aircraft when you knew (or had decent evidence) that the aircraft wasn't fit for service?

I for one hope AC grounds the plane, mostly bc I'll be flying on the MAX on April 4th.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:20 pm

Programs: AC FOTSG, DL WM
Boeing to update software in model of plane involved in Ethiopian crash

Firm says it's been developing 'enhancement' since fatal Lion Air crash in October

Boeing confirmed late on Monday it will deploy a software upgrade to the 737 Max 8 the model that crashed on Sunday in Ethiopia and six months ago in Indonesia a few hours after the Federal Aviation Administration said it would mandate "design changes" in the aircraft by April.

Boeing did not reference Sunday's Ethiopian Airlines crash in connection to the software upgrade. However, the statement did express the company's condolences to the relatives of the 157 people who died 18 of whom were Canadian.

The company said in the aftermath of October's Lion Air Flight crash it has for several months "been developing a flight control software enhancement for the 737 Max, designed to make an already safe aircraft even safer."

The software upgrade "will be deployed across the 737 Max fleet in the coming weeks," it said.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/boeing...ax-8-1.5052471
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:45 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Ethiopian plane smoked and shuddered before deadly plunge

I have no upcoming flights on a 737MAX8, but am following the story intently. It is great to have a forum like this where interested people can have a lively and respectful debate. Thanks to everyone!

My question, what do you guys make of the following:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-e...-idUSKBN1QS1LJ

I keep hearing about MCAS or some software malfunction, but how would this cause smoking from the tail of the plane? (I suppose it is possible that the eyewitness accounts have it wrong and there really was no smoking, but there were multiple witnesses...).

Foftravel
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:00 am

Programs: AC 75K (*G), NEXUS
Originally Posted by Foftravel
I have no upcoming flights on a 737MAX8, but am following the story intently. It is great to have a forum like this where interested people can have a lively and respectful debate. Thanks to everyone!

My question, what do you guys make of the following:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-e...-idUSKBN1QS1LJ

I keep hearing about MCAS or some software malfunction, but how would this cause smoking from the tail of the plane? (I suppose it is possible that the eyewitness accounts have it wrong and there really was no smoking, but there were multiple witnesses...).

Foftravel
The accounts of personal items and debris trailing with the white smoke is scary but I do not want to speculate. If true it suggests that the aircraft may have been partially broken up before impact.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:15 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 31, 2020 at 10:55 am
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:03 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
I would like to know if the plane is safe why does AC need to work with Boeing to ensure its safety? Their own PR makes no sense.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:06 am
Formerly known as jsfrSuperElite

Programs: Air Canada SE100K-1MM, Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...ries-grounding

Counties that have grounded and banned the 737 MAX 8:

China, Indonesia, Singapore, South Korea, Mongolia, Australia, Malaysia, UK

Airlines that have grounded the 737 MAX 8:

Ethiopian Airlines, Comair, Aeromxico, Cayman Airways, Gol Airlines, Jet Airways, Royal Air Maroc, Easter Jet, Aerolineas Argentina

Last edited by jsfrSE; Mar 12, 2019 at 7:51 am
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:39 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 31, 2020 at 10:55 am
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:54 am

Programs: AC SE MM; SPG Plat
From BBC: Singapore and Australia's aviation authorities have temporarily banned Boeing 737 Max aircraft from flying into and out of their countries.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-47536502

But hey, it must be illogical to try to avoid the MAX. On the off chance there's an equipment swap. (Even in June, notwithstanding that more of the flights are on the 737 MAX, there are options YYZ - YVR, if one is flexible.)
Old Mar 12, 2019, 5:00 am

Programs: AC SE MM; SPG Plat
I see jsfrSE beat me to this. Sorry, reading on phone, missed it. Note that those countries listed - Australia, Signapore, etc. - don't even want to see the plane in their airspace.

Heading to the airport to catch my 777 YYZ - YVR. But maybe it will be swapped for a 737 MAX.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.