Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Jan 18 2021 TC issues Airworthiness Directive for the 737 MAX
Link to post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32976892-post4096.html

Cabin photos

Post 976 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29534462-post976.html
Post 1300 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29780203-post1300.html

Cabin Layout

Interior Specs can be found here https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet.html

- Window seats may feel narrower to come as the armrests are placed "into" the "curvature" of the cabin.
- Seats with no windows feel even more narrower as there is no space created by the curvature of window.
- All bulkhead seats have very limited legroom.
- Seats 15A, 16A, 16F, 17A and 17F have limited windows.
- Exit rows 19 and 20 have more legroom than regular preferred seats.

Routes

The 737 MAX is designated to replace the A320-series. Based on announcements and schedule updates, the following specific routes will be operated by the 737 MAX in future:

YYZ-LAX (periodic flights)
YYZ-SNN (new route)
YUL-DUB (new route)
YYZ/YUL-KEF (replacing Rouge A319)
YYT-LHR (replacing Mainline A319)
YHZ-LHR (replacing Mainline B767)
Hawaii Routes YVR/YYC (replacing Rouge B767)
Many domestic trunk routes (YYZ, YVR, YUL, YYC) now operated by 7M8, replacing A320 family
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by YEG USER

Yes and no. The 320 family of aircraft has a slightly wider cabin than the 737. While I agree in terms of decreasing seat pitch that airlines can configure the planes to be equally dense, the marginal 1” extra that you can get in the width of the seat on an airbus makes a difference IMHO. I don’t feel as squished on a rouge 319 as I did once in Y- on a 7M8.
The difference in seat width in Y is about a third of a cm as configured by AC, certainly not an inch.
As per AC's website, seat width on the 320 series is 45.3 cm compared to 45.0 cm on the MAX.
One thing that would impact comfort is the smaller recline - but that could also have been implemented on a densified 320 series (and in fact has been on the rouge aircraft).

Believe the aisles are narrower on the 737, though.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by songsc
It’s too early to say whether 7M8 is unsafe or not, however grounding 7M8 does not require proving it’s unsafe, can’t proving it’s safe is sufficient.

That the AC pilots union has raised the issue should be telling us something. Likewise apparently American has allowed crews (at least cabin, I don't know about pilots) to decline working on 7M8s. with no penalty
Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:41 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by WildcatYXU
The "Who's in Control" episode is desctibing the TK1951 crash at AMS. That was a 737-800.
The myth about the A320's automation causing the crash of AF296 at LFGB has been debunked many times.
I think the episode I was referring to is actually called "Who's Flying the Plane?":

(I think I have it on my DVR. I'll check when I get home.)
Clipper801 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KenHamer
I think the episode I was referring to is actually called "Who's Flying the Plane?": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiTmAyFIypk

(I think I have it on my DVR. I'll check when I get home.)
That video is largely content-free. And anyway, these cases are more or less orthogonal to the current situation where a virtually free computer-based "solution" to a major safety issue was adopted in place of a needed costly redesign of an airframe component. Which may not have been anticipated early on when looking at the project economics.

And no, I don't hold my breath that there is going to be anyone with enough clout to force Boeing to do the right thing. They'll fix the band aid. Which may make things better to some extent. Or ultimately not. Wishful thinking is a powerful emotion. Especially when big bucks are at stake.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:06 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Could not be pulled up due to lack of airspeed, sure. But my understanding was this was entirely pilot-error.
Originally Posted by 5mm
Yes, It was 100% pilot error. He was show boating and it cost him.
Claiming that the fault was 100% anything is always a mistake. Invariably there are a whole series of missteps that all contribute to the end result.

Apparently there was a procedure to deal with the MCAS problem on the Lion Air flight that was not followed. By the logic above it would seem that incident was also 100% pilot error either because the pilot didn't do what he was supposed to or he was not properly trained.

I'm not in any position to make a claim either way on either incident. But it seems there have been a long series of incidents from minor to decidedly not minor caused by disconnects between the pilot and the plane's technology. One that comes immediately to mind is a plane that experienced a small bump due to minor turbulence at the exact moment the pilot requested an "auto-land". Because the plane perceived it was ascending when the auto-land was requested the software determined this was an emergency descent request and doubled the rate of descent.

It's also not just computers that can cause problems. Also on the B737, but a much earlier generation, was some weird hydraulic valve that caused 2 crashes and almost a 3rd before being resolved.

Finally, I'll again express my surprise at how archaic aircraft technology implementations are compared to ships. There have been lots of incidents where some change of state was indicated by nothing more than a small symbol on a display screen, that went unnoticed. This has happened in planes (autopilot inadvertently disconnected when someone gently moved the control yoke) and in air traffic control systems where the controller did not notice an "X" that changed to a "Z" which resulted in a plane being directed to the same altitude as as plane on the same route in the opposite direction.

Nothing of consequence changes on a ship's bridge without an audible alarm, and that alarm persists until acknowledged.

However both ships and aircraft seem to suffer one common problem -- alerts whose meaning are not easily understood. For example a Helios flight that indicated the plane was not configured properly for flight (or maybe take off) but otherwise appeared to be flying perfectly. The problem was the cabin was not being pressurized thus resulting in everyone on board succumbing to hypoxia and the plane crashing. If the system was smart enough to detect that the cabin was not being pressurized then it should been smart enough to say "The cabin is not being pressurized." Just saying "something is wrong" doesn't cut it.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:12 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by songsc
It’s too early to say whether 7M8 is unsafe or not, however grounding 7M8 does not require proving it’s unsafe, can’t proving it’s safe is sufficient.
The most basic of science: you can't prove a negative.

In other words, there's no way you can prove that an aircraft will never fail. The fact that virtually every commercial airline model every made has suffered a major incident clearly shows that you can't prove something completely safe in all conditions. You can't prove anything will never fail.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:25 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by canopus27
I find it fascinating that some folk here are concerned about the (perceived) risk of flying on a 737-Max, but not at all concerned about the (perceived) risk of using an inflatable mattress onboard in the case of a deflated 777 J seat ... while others are the exact opposite; concerned about the (perceived) risk of using an inflatable mattress onboard in the case of a deflated 777 J seat, but not at all concerned about the (perceived) risk of flying on a 737-Max.

I choose not to name anyone here, as my point is not to pick on individuals - but just to observe that it's obvious that everyone has their own perception about what is safe, and what is not.

For the record: I'm bringing my mattress with me on AC 28 tomorrow, and you couldn't pay me enough to step on a 737-Max right now.
Peripherally related:
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:54 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Now we have Aeromexico, GOL and Singapore
Seems irresponsible to not ground the max fleet (perception wise at least).. or atleast give people the ability to switch from max to another route

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-03-12/aeromexico-becomes-latest-to-ground-the-737-max-boeing-update
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:10 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Now we have Aeromexico, GOL and Singapore
Seems irresponsible to not ground the max fleet (perception wise at least).. or atleast give people the ability to switch from max to another route
Assuming it isn't mandated, any bets AC will be among the last (if at all) to voluntarily ground it's fleet?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:16 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by Jagboi
Assuming it isn't mandated, any bets AC will be among the last (if at all) to voluntarily ground it's fleet?
Seems unlikely they will voluntarily ground the fleet given how bad their OTP already is
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:20 pm
5mm
Suspended

Claiming that the fault was 100% anything is always a mistake. Invariably there are a whole series of missteps that all contribute to the end result.
it.
Not in this case. The pilot was show boating, flying to slow and over ruled the computer trying to correct his mistakes.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 5mm

Not in this case. The pilot was show boating, flying to slow and over ruled the computer trying to correct his mistakes.
This is getting very confusing. Are you both talking about the same crash? You seem to refer to the Mulhouse one. Pevious article by Ken mentions the MCAS. No MCAS in Mulhouse...
ffsim likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Apparently there was a procedure to deal with the MCAS problem on the Lion Air flight that was not followed. By the logic above it would seem that incident was also 100% pilot error either because the pilot didn't do what he was supposed to or he was not properly trained.
At the time of the Lionair crash, Boeing had not seen fit to mention anything about MCAS to anyone. Presumably because they were not partucularly proud of it... So no, there was no procedure.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:35 pm
5mm
Suspended

AC 7M9 order was in trouble already. Will the current 7M8 problems make AC’s 7M9 cancellation offfical.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:36 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by Jagboi
I'll join the camp that says they most certainly won't ground their fleet unless TC mandates it. And TC won't unless the FAA does so first. Tin hat aficionados might explore the relationship between the FAA and the Boeing Corporation.

I don't necessarily disagree with AC's decision at this early stage to keep the plane flying; there is simply no sure reason to tether them to the ground. Hopefully the investigators make some early determinations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.