Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Jan 18 2021 TC issues Airworthiness Directive for the 737 MAX
Link to post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32976892-post4096.html

Cabin photos

Post 976 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29534462-post976.html
Post 1300 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29780203-post1300.html

Cabin Layout

Interior Specs can be found here https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet.html

- Window seats may feel narrower to come as the armrests are placed "into" the "curvature" of the cabin.
- Seats with no windows feel even more narrower as there is no space created by the curvature of window.
- All bulkhead seats have very limited legroom.
- Seats 15A, 16A, 16F, 17A and 17F have limited windows.
- Exit rows 19 and 20 have more legroom than regular preferred seats.

Routes

The 737 MAX is designated to replace the A320-series. Based on announcements and schedule updates, the following specific routes will be operated by the 737 MAX in future:

YYZ-LAX (periodic flights)
YYZ-SNN (new route)
YUL-DUB (new route)
YYZ/YUL-KEF (replacing Rouge A319)
YYT-LHR (replacing Mainline A319)
YHZ-LHR (replacing Mainline B767)
Hawaii Routes YVR/YYC (replacing Rouge B767)
Many domestic trunk routes (YYZ, YVR, YUL, YYC) now operated by 7M8, replacing A320 family
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
I don't think there is anything "wrong" with the aircraft itself. After a bit of listening to and reading commentary from actual experts, I have come to the realization that the issue is in large part related to two interrelated key aspects, neither of which is mechanical/technical; Sales practices and the closely associated training of pilots. These two issues should be known to Air Canada and hopefully a strategy is in place to address them.

I have had a few flights on the 737MAX with China Eastern and Shanghai Airlines. There are 11 aircraft at the airline now with the first deployed towards the end of 2017. No issues reported. My understanding is that there are in 58 Max in use with Chinese airlines, with no issues reported. Either the Chinese aircraft are magically protected, or the Chinese airlines have effectively trained their flight crews to respond to a flight control crisis on the aircraft.

The aircraft is sold as an easy step up for pilots who are flying older B737 models and AB319/320 models. The promotional material highlights the ease of transition and the cost containment associated with fleet changeover etc. Perhaps the promotional material has not emphasized the need for a pilot skill upgrade. The issues to date seem to relate to the flight control system changes and the need for a quick manual over ride when necessary. This requires intensive training and continual reinforcement. I note that Thai Lion is a relatively new airline and one with a rather poor reputation. Ethiopian has its own flight school and training facilities so it will certainly be of interest to Air Canada if the Ethiopian pilot training was faulty, or inadequate. I also note that both crashes have occurred with recent aircraft deployment.
The Max is the first airliner since the BAC 111 that is not inherently stable throughout its operation envelope. Because of its larger engines, a proper design would have entailed redesigning the horizontal stabilizer. Which Boeing demed too expensive; instead they implemented a software fix, more or less a bandaid solution called MCAS. It appears that in the Lionair case because of a single faulty signal from an angle of attack probe, the MCAS pushed the nose down until the plane hit the ground.

The issue is specific to the max. Does not affect earlier 737s.

I do not believe for a cleansheet design, any manufacturer would even consider building an airliner that is not inherently stable throughout the envelope. The case of the BAC-111 and the deep stall issue first occurred a long time ago when things were quite different, and the issue was discovered way after the plane entered in service. In the case of the max though, it was purely an economic decision, however dubious technically. To me that's wrong.

BTW last time I was on a max was less than three weeks ago. Only flight that day between Olbia and MXP, so no real choice except flying to LIN. So yes, while I did not like it, I bit the bullet.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
The MCAS issue reminds me of things I see in the software industry all the time.

---
Due to product decision X and engineering budget constraint Y, we want you to implement feature Z using mechanisms A, B, and C.
But that would result in five problems! We should use D, E, and F, but it will take longer and cost more.
No worries, those problems are unlikely to happen.

Two months later, a huge system goes down.

HOW COULD YOU NOT HAVE FORESEEN THIS AND PLANNED AROUND IT
I literally told you this was going to happen, but you overruled me.
---

I can't even begin to describe how many times that happened at my old job.

It's sad it happened with an airplane where the consequences of a problem are much more severe, but it's the same everywhere. Cheap software can handle the vast majority of cases. And when the consequences are an hour of downtime, that's often acceptable. But it should never have happened at Boeing.

Maybe they should start enforcing licensing requirements for software engineers the same way they do for all other branches of engineering. And I say that as someone who works as an unlicensed software engineer.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 2:00 pm

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow
The MCAS issue reminds me of things I see in the software industry all the time.

---
Due to product decision X and engineering budget constraint Y, we want you to implement feature Z using mechanisms A, B, and C.
But that would result in five problems! We should use D, E, and F, but it will take longer and cost more.
No worries, those problems are unlikely to happen.

Two months later, a huge system goes down.

HOW COULD YOU NOT HAVE FORESEEN THIS AND PLANNED AROUND IT
I literally told you this was going to happen, but you overruled me.
---

I can't even begin to describe how many times that happened at my old job.

It's sad it happened with an airplane where the consequences of a problem are much more severe, but it's the same everywhere. Cheap software can handle the vast majority of cases. And when the consequences are an hour of downtime, that's often acceptable. But it should never have happened at Boeing.

Maybe they should start enforcing licensing requirements for software engineers the same way they do for all other branches of engineering. And I say that as someone who works as an unlicensed software engineer.
You couldn't have said it any better @canadiancow!

I definitely expected more from Boeing, it is very unusual for them to cut corners in production and design of new aircraft.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 2:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 31, 2020 at 10:57 am
Old Mar 10, 2019, 2:17 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
One advantage that we AC PAX have is that our pilots transitioning from a 320 to MAX would have to go to school and learn how to do more than press the autopilot button.

The 737 old->MAX class could well be an afternoon reviewing sales brochures.
ffsim and Transpacificflyer like this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by skybluesea
@canadiancow
unfortunately, licensed engineers get it wrong all the time too - maybe only difference is stamping a drawing that becomes proven source of fatality might mean license revoked + Error & Omissions insurance gets triggered.

Neither Boeing or AC are infallible- we accept range of risks in life, and hopefully we choose wisely based on evidence and causation - to do otherwise, well, Lotteries are great at selling “hope”

The difference is that software engineers don't need any kind of accredited educational background either.

I've worked with some self-taught people. They were about as good as you'd expect.
skybluesea and codfather like this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
@canadiancow
unfortunately, licensed engineers get it wrong all the time too - maybe only difference is stamping a drawing that becomes proven source of fatality might mean license revoked + Error & Omissions insurance gets triggered.

Neither Boeing or AC are infallible- we accept range of risks in life, and hopefully we choose wisely based on evidence and causation - to do otherwise, well, Lotteries are great at selling “hope”

I tried to ignore your posts on this thread, but respectfully, I find your assertion here in bold rather dismissive and offensive.

As a licensed engineer, I take my responsibility very seriously. There were numerous occasions where my refusal to stamp (due to concern of inherent design flaws that could potentially put people's lives in danger) resulted in delays to schedule. But I, and many licensed colleagues of mine, will never put profit ahead of public safety. Your assertion seemed to imply that licensed engineers are only concerned about losing licenses.

I will refrain again from responding to your rather slandering responses to some of the members here, but please show some respects to other professions.
expert7700, Jagboi, ffsim and 8 others like this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Are you a P. Eng. though?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 2:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by KenHamer
.....But two of the CNN commentators (Schiavo, Quest) are amongst the stupidest beings to ever inhabit the universe. If either of them ever claimed that 2+2=4 I would begin to suspect that every calculator ever manufactured was defective.
^^^^^^
Old Mar 10, 2019, 2:40 pm

Programs: aeroplan

and what evidence do you have the new Boeing 737 has a bad safety record on the basis of a news report of this aircraft crash. Despite my post the UK government warns travelers against transportation in Ethiopia, completely ignored because some folks already decided what the cause actually is ��

and having had executive responsibility for transportation Public Safety in a provincial government, anyone concerned I don’t take safety seriously, gets offended far too easily, not to mention the commercial-IFR rating I long ago earned that demands safety first- or should I also mention I teach both aviation SMS & SEMS.

and Kahneman’s central thesis is profoundly critical in safety mgmt, otherwise I wouldn’t have raised it - trust AC mgmt follows best practice, and if they lose few scared customers, so be it.
Not sure I follow much of your logic (or grammar) in your posts, but this quote comes to mind:
"When you boast, your insecurity is showing."
SuperCargo and marke190 like this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by RangerNS
One advantage that we AC PAX have is that our pilots transitioning from a 320 to MAX would have to go to school and learn how to do more than press the autopilot button.

The 737 old->MAX class could well be an afternoon reviewing sales brochures.
That was one of my long winded points There are several airlines who have had the aircraft in service for enough time to identify deficiencies if they exist. I am convinced that pilot error is a major part of these crashes, hence the need to review the training Ethiopian provided. It's easier to claim an aircraft defect, rather than point out pilot error and/or organizational training deficiencies. The airlines who have not had any issues must be doing something right.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 2:53 pm
Suspended

delete

Old Mar 10, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
. The airlines who have not had any issues must be doing something right.
Or they have been lucky so far. It's like people who drive without a seatbelt. Many can go for thousands of KM and be fine. Until that one moment when they aren't fine anymore.
Happy and Yul_voyager like this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Jagboi
Are you a P. Eng. though?
No, that's what I meant by "licensed". I only worked in Canada for 14 months after graduating, in a shop of ~50 engineers, none of whom had their P.Eng, and only 3 of us were even eligible (due to having accredited degrees).

and @canadiancow correctly pointed out that a software engineer advanced some faulty code leading to MCAS fault.

I most certainly did not.

At best, the system as a whole was poorly designed. I haven't seen any evidence that there was "faulty software".
Old Mar 10, 2019, 3:17 pm
Suspended

delete

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.