Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Jan 18 2021 TC issues Airworthiness Directive for the 737 MAX
Link to post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32976892-post4096.html

Cabin photos

Post 976 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29534462-post976.html
Post 1300 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29780203-post1300.html

Cabin Layout

Interior Specs can be found here https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet.html

- Window seats may feel narrower to come as the armrests are placed "into" the "curvature" of the cabin.
- Seats with no windows feel even more narrower as there is no space created by the curvature of window.
- All bulkhead seats have very limited legroom.
- Seats 15A, 16A, 16F, 17A and 17F have limited windows.
- Exit rows 19 and 20 have more legroom than regular preferred seats.

Routes

The 737 MAX is designated to replace the A320-series. Based on announcements and schedule updates, the following specific routes will be operated by the 737 MAX in future:

YYZ-LAX (periodic flights)
YYZ-SNN (new route)
YUL-DUB (new route)
YYZ/YUL-KEF (replacing Rouge A319)
YYT-LHR (replacing Mainline A319)
YHZ-LHR (replacing Mainline B767)
Hawaii Routes YVR/YYC (replacing Rouge B767)
Many domestic trunk routes (YYZ, YVR, YUL, YYC) now operated by 7M8, replacing A320 family
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:00 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by canadiancow
"Can they" ? Sure.

It would result in a ton of flight cancellations, but taking a specific aircraft (or in this case, a couple dozen) out of service is something they do on a daily basis.

I think it's much more likely they would just reinforce to their pilots how to deal with the crash-causing issue(s) unless a regulatory body decided to ground the fleet.
Thank you
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: AC e75K, *G, SPG/MR PPE
Originally Posted by skybluesea

How dare you demand the facts, when grabbing onto unfounded conclusions way easier.😇

And even bigger tragedy is folks avoiding a particular aircraft because of news, rather than asking and demanding answers about the underlying causes of events. Rest in peace for those lost, condolences for those who remain, and let’s be patient, just maybe.
I can avoid the aircraft by virtue of my regular trips - the 7M8 only shows up occasionally. I tried it once, didn’t really like how uncomfortable it was, but figured I’d make so on short hops if necessary.

Now? I won’t book it at all until there are answers. Something is obviously wrong - so what is it? And what are they doing to fix it?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW

Did you know MCAS doesn’t even activate with flaps deployed? Go look at the AGL data we do have and enjoy squaring that circle.
Why would the flaps be still on six minutes into the flight?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
I do not want to begin speculating either, but this definitely makes me a little uneasy for my flight on the B38M in two months time. Evidently, something is seriously wrong with these aircraft. Two serious accidents in the span of four months is absolutely unbelievable.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:26 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 24, 2020 at 5:29 pm
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:31 am

it’s like nobody tends to world affairs and have a sense the world is a pretty complex and often violent place, with East Africa at center of various conflicts.

Here is another plausible explanation, that needs no speculation, but is a direct warning against Ethiopian transport from a respected government

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...opia/terrorism

so before AirCanada grounds 73 fleet or passengers stop booking this airplane altogether, how about letting the facts guide the way forward.

I’m not saying terrorism was the cause, but in this part of the world, this is not a surprise if it turns out to be what happened.
While I agree that jumping to conclusions is not an effective way of dealing with this, it is still making me uneasy. I have flown on the MAX a number of times, and I have always found it to be a nice aircraft. Until the facts come out, I will be avoiding this aircraft for my travel with AC.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:50 am
Suspended

delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 31, 2020 at 10:54 am
Old Mar 10, 2019, 12:02 pm

With all due respect @skybluesea I do not think your rather obnoxious remarks are warranted. We are discussing a very serious matter, and your lack of empathy speaks volumes of your character.

I would recommend in future that you do not make such outlandish statements towards other members on FT.

Your opinion on this matter is moot, and I would suggest you think twice before making such posts!
Old Mar 10, 2019, 12:07 pm

Programs: aeroplan

@codfather

PS… Every day FIVE Canadians are killed on the roads, if you’re really worried about transport safety, flying should the least of your worries.
I don't think that's the best analogy here. Rather, if a certain car had a bad safety record, I wouldn't buy, rent, or hire it.
Simon, SuperCargo, arf04 and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by codfather
I do not want to begin speculating either, but this definitely makes me a little uneasy for my flight on the B38M in two months time. Evidently, something is seriously wrong with these aircraft. Two serious accidents in the span of four months is absolutely unbelievable.
I don't think there is anything "wrong" with the aircraft itself. After a bit of listening to and reading commentary from actual experts, I have come to the realization that the issue is in large part related to two interrelated key aspects, neither of which is mechanical/technical; Sales practices and the closely associated training of pilots. These two issues should be known to Air Canada and hopefully a strategy is in place to address them.

I have had a few flights on the 737MAX with China Eastern and Shanghai Airlines. There are 11 aircraft at the airline now with the first deployed towards the end of 2017. No issues reported. My understanding is that there are in 58 Max in use with Chinese airlines, with no issues reported. Either the Chinese aircraft are magically protected, or the Chinese airlines have effectively trained their flight crews to respond to a flight control crisis on the aircraft.

The aircraft is sold as an easy step up for pilots who are flying older B737 models and AB319/320 models. The promotional material highlights the ease of transition and the cost containment associated with fleet changeover etc. Perhaps the promotional material has not emphasized the need for a pilot skill upgrade. The issues to date seem to relate to the flight control system changes and the need for a quick manual over ride when necessary. This requires intensive training and continual reinforcement. I note that Thai Lion is a relatively new airline and one with a rather poor reputation. Ethiopian has its own flight school and training facilities so it will certainly be of interest to Air Canada if the Ethiopian pilot training was faulty, or inadequate. I also note that both crashes have occurred with recent aircraft deployment.

In respect to Air Canada, because of the fleet characteristic being transitioned, I would hope that the pilot training will be extensive, intensive and repeated to minimize the potential for the pilot error issues associated with crashes to date. One need not recite the recent Air Canada human factor events to emphasize this point.
KenHamer, jasdou and 24left like this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:13 pm
Suspended

delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 31, 2020 at 10:57 am
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by Stranger
Why would the flaps be still on six minutes into the flight?
Yeah, control issues obviously occurred 6 minutes in to the flight well above the altitude where the flaps would be deployed. Are you intentionally being obtuse?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by codfather
With all due respect @skybluesea I do not think your rather obnoxious remarks are warranted. We are discussing a very serious matter, and your lack of empathy speaks volumes of your character.

I would recommend in future that you do not make such outlandish statements towards other members on FT.

Your opinion on this matter is moot, and I would suggest you think twice before making such posts!
Get a grip. Seriously.
codfather likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
...if they lose few scared customers, so be it.
Please, just stop. Stop saying the wrong things.
marke190, 24left and codfather like this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:30 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by YYT82
Update: Just read on CNN...
I don't know the cause of these crashes and don't comment on causes until real investigators complete their investigation. Nor do I think CNN is "fake news."

But two of the CNN commentators (Schiavo, Quest) are amongst the stupidest beings to ever inhabit the universe. If either of them ever claimed that 2+2=4 I would begin to suspect that every calculator ever manufactured was defective.
Transpacificflyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.