Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Jan 18 2021 TC issues Airworthiness Directive for the 737 MAX
Link to post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32976892-post4096.html

Cabin photos

Post 976 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29534462-post976.html
Post 1300 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29780203-post1300.html

Cabin Layout

Interior Specs can be found here https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet.html

- Window seats may feel narrower to come as the armrests are placed "into" the "curvature" of the cabin.
- Seats with no windows feel even more narrower as there is no space created by the curvature of window.
- All bulkhead seats have very limited legroom.
- Seats 15A, 16A, 16F, 17A and 17F have limited windows.
- Exit rows 19 and 20 have more legroom than regular preferred seats.

Routes

The 737 MAX is designated to replace the A320-series. Based on announcements and schedule updates, the following specific routes will be operated by the 737 MAX in future:

YYZ-LAX (periodic flights)
YYZ-SNN (new route)
YUL-DUB (new route)
YYZ/YUL-KEF (replacing Rouge A319)
YYT-LHR (replacing Mainline A319)
YHZ-LHR (replacing Mainline B767)
Hawaii Routes YVR/YYC (replacing Rouge B767)
Many domestic trunk routes (YYZ, YVR, YUL, YYC) now operated by 7M8, replacing A320 family
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:23 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
What are you talking about? The US3 and WS have hundreds of 737s, 320 family, 757s and older widebodies (e.g. 767s, 330s) that have the same bin space issues as AC's legacy fleet.

Newer planes like the 787 and 7M8 come with new bins, so over time the transition is being made.

DL has retrofitted the pivot bins in a bunch of early-2000s 320 family products, but doesn't seem to be tackling 737NGs. UA doesn't seem to be doing anything to retrofit older planes. AA is installing new bins in its 321s, but not 319s or 320s, so it's not a wholesale replacement. WS, nothing that I've seen.

Some airlines are even ordering 320neos with the same old bins that have been around for decades - I was less than pleased to see those on an AV 320neo a couple months back, for instance.

​​​​​​So let's get real about what the competition is actually doing.
WS isn't a major airline.

And basically you said that 3 of the big American airlines are doing something while AC is doing nothing. Did I get that right?
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:41 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by ridefar
WS isn't a major airline.

And basically you said that 3 of the big American airlines are doing something while AC is doing nothing. Did I get that right?
I said UA is doing nothing, AA is doing very little, and DL isn't doing much. As for WS, it's AC's single biggest competitor, so I don't think it's at all reasonable to exclude it, but even if you were correct, WN doesn't seem to be doing anything to reconfigure its legacy planes either, and you can't really dispute that it's a "major airline".

Also, let's not forget that within the next couple of years, 7Mxs and 220s will constitute the bulk of the mainline narrowbody fleet, all of which have nice new bins. No sense in AC putting new bins in an ancient 320 that's headed for the scrapyard soon.
The Lev likes this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Feb 13, 2019 at 12:46 pm
Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RangerNS
Then:
Miserable, with a meal.
Now:
Miserable, with IFE.
Not really. Seats were as narrow, but pitch was good. And it's not just there were meals, but the meals were good, and so was the wine. And service was good. But repeating, you are probaBLY TOO YOUNG. :d
smallmj likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 3:51 pm
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Stranger
Not really. Seats were as narrow, but pitch was good. And it's not just there were meals, but the meals were good, and so was the wine. And service was good. But repeating, you are probaBLY TOO YOUNG. :d
And free liquor along with a 14 day advance booking and sat night stay, just to keep the prices realistic.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:39 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
WN doesn't seem to be doing anything to reconfigure its legacy planes either, and you can't really dispute that it's a "major airline".
Southwest aircraft are equipped with an innovative space under the cabin dedicated to baggage so people don't have drag their suitcases onboard with them and they don't even have to pay extra to use it!
Seat19k likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Error 601
Southwest aircraft are equipped with an innovative space under the cabin dedicated to baggage so people don't have drag their suitcases onboard with them and they don't even have to pay extra to use it!
Is that like it was in the good old Soviet Union? When everyone brought their stuff on board and there was a place to leave it?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 4:12 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Looks like C-GEHQ has been delivered and flown to... Windsor (YQG). Anyone know why?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:50 am

Programs: AC SE MM; SPG Plat
Another 737 MAX crash - Ethiopia 302. 157 dead. https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/10/afric...ntl/index.html

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N302
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:58 am

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by PB53x11
Just saw the news, very sad. The crashed jet is a very new one, delivered in November 2018. Too early to speculate the cause, but I won't be surprised if what caused the Lion Air crash also caused this one.

I personally would like to see the entire B7M8 fleet grounded and Boeing sued so that they are forced to re-engineer the aircraft instead of some 'software' fix.

Update: Just read on CNN that this crash had different behaviours than the Lion Air crash, and preliminary examination points to catastrophic failure inflight. Still, this does not change my view that the B737 Max fleet should be grounded globally until a permanent engineered solution is implemented.
chebert999 likes this.

Last edited by YYT82; Mar 10, 2019 at 7:11 am
Old Mar 10, 2019, 7:01 am

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by PB53x11
Television news reports are saying 18 Canadians on board, 2nd highest number after Kenya.
--
13F
Old Mar 10, 2019, 7:03 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
I too think it is time the 737 MAX was grounded, if not by FAA I hope AC will do on their own.
expert7700 and Yul_voyager like this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Not feeling too safe flying this plane in about a month YEG-YYZ.....but not many choices of other aircraft on this route! Very sad for the families of all those lost on both of these flights - new planes should definitely not have 2 crashes in the first months of service.

Last edited by Altaflyer; Mar 10, 2019 at 7:33 am
Old Mar 10, 2019, 7:27 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ
Television news reports are saying 18 Canadians on board, 2nd highest number after Kenya.
--
13F
List is on PPRuNe https://www.pprune.org/10412345-post71.html

Also this post:

"Whether or not the MCAS is to blame, remains to be seen.
Fact is, that someone at Boeing RIGHT NOW is saying to himself: “I sure hope that the MCAS has nothing to do with it...!”

What a tragedy."

https://www.pprune.org/10412383-post84.html
Old Mar 10, 2019, 7:54 am

Programs: AC*SE, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, PC Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Plat
Incredibly sad and shocking news. My heart goes out to all those involved in this latest tragedy.

I will certainly be changing my flying habits to avoid this aircraft until I have absolute confidence that the underlying software/hardware issues have been resolved. Two catastrophic accidents in a matter of a couple of months due to mechanical malfunction is completely unnacceptable. I suspect the aircraft will be grounded pending resolution.

SG
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I called AC and they understand the concern and feel that corporate will review this on Monday. I would hope this plane gets grounded pending investigation recognizing that this will cause scheduling problems.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.