Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Jan 18 2021 TC issues Airworthiness Directive for the 737 MAX
Link to post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32976892-post4096.html

Cabin photos

Post 976 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29534462-post976.html
Post 1300 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29780203-post1300.html

Cabin Layout

Interior Specs can be found here https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet.html

- Window seats may feel narrower to come as the armrests are placed "into" the "curvature" of the cabin.
- Seats with no windows feel even more narrower as there is no space created by the curvature of window.
- All bulkhead seats have very limited legroom.
- Seats 15A, 16A, 16F, 17A and 17F have limited windows.
- Exit rows 19 and 20 have more legroom than regular preferred seats.

Routes

The 737 MAX is designated to replace the A320-series. Based on announcements and schedule updates, the following specific routes will be operated by the 737 MAX in future:

YYZ-LAX (periodic flights)
YYZ-SNN (new route)
YUL-DUB (new route)
YYZ/YUL-KEF (replacing Rouge A319)
YYT-LHR (replacing Mainline A319)
YHZ-LHR (replacing Mainline B767)
Hawaii Routes YVR/YYC (replacing Rouge B767)
Many domestic trunk routes (YYZ, YVR, YUL, YYC) now operated by 7M8, replacing A320 family
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by bocastephen
In its defense, the 737MAX is an absolutely stunning, beautiful airplane - Air Canada (and AA), decided to defile it with tiny, narrow, seats with almost no usable legroom and pushed it on routes of 6-8+ hours of total seating time - but didn't they do essentially the same thing to their once very comfortable 777s? I thought the 10x 777 seats and legroom are similar to the 737M?
Except the narrow seats are isolated to AC and AA, blame Boeing for that. Any 737 operator (MAX or not) will have narrow seats. Legroom and the seat design is an airline choice. 10 abreast 777 and 787 would have a similar seat width. Give or take a few tenths of an inch.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 1:54 pm

I flew on a 737 Max for the first time a couple of weeks ago, DUB-YUL. Four of us had Preferred seats booked in row 20 (after reading this thread). The two other passengers in our row moved a few rows forward, at the suggestion of crew, to sit where three adjacent seats were unoccupied. That meant we could spread out on row 20, leaving the middle seat on each side unoccupied. This certainly helped - booking row 20 solved the legroom issue and the free middle seat solved the shoulder room issue. We are "kinda broad at the shoulder and narrow at the hip" people - I would not like to sit directly beside another broad person for 7 hours.

It was a very experienced cabin crew - I wonder if that was deliberate on AC's part to cope with the constraints of this small craft. One WC was out of order. Thankfully I only had to use the minute WC once.

IFE was great.

The crew were great - light-hearted and professional. It was them that made this an enjoyable flight.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 4:20 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by MissingTurningLeft
It was a very experienced cabin crew - I wonder if that was deliberate on AC's part to cope with the constraints of this small craft.
Every month, the crew bids on their pairings. They are awarded by seniority, with the most senior person getting first choice. AC does not "pick" the crews.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 4:42 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
Originally Posted by MissingTurningLeft
I flew on a 737 Max for the first time a couple of weeks ago, DUB-YUL. Four of us had Preferred seats booked in row 20 (after reading this thread). The two other passengers in our row moved a few rows forward, at the suggestion of crew, to sit where three adjacent seats were unoccupied. That meant we could spread out on row 20, leaving the middle seat on each side unoccupied. This certainly helped - booking row 20 solved the legroom issue and the free middle seat solved the shoulder room issue. We are "kinda broad at the shoulder and narrow at the hip" people - I would not like to sit directly beside another broad person for 7 hours.

It was a very experienced cabin crew - I wonder if that was deliberate on AC's part to cope with the constraints of this small craft. One WC was out of order. Thankfully I only had to use the minute WC once.

IFE was great.

The crew were great - light-hearted and professional. It was them that made this an enjoyable flight.
The one lav not working is a huge issue - I think - with sending these planes on such long routes. That leaves 2 lavs for up to 170 people on 6+ hour TATL flights. All it takes is one really sick pax to hold one up and you're suddenly in a really tough situation. I'm surprised that AC finds that acceptable. Just another reason to avoid the new birds..
Old Jul 15, 2018, 6:08 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by nave888
The one lav not working is a huge issue - I think - with sending these planes on such long routes. That leaves 2 lavs for up to 170 people on 6+ hour TATL flights. All it takes is one really sick pax to hold one up and you're suddenly in a really tough situation. I'm surprised that AC finds that acceptable. Just another reason to avoid the new birds..
It is:
One lav for 16 people.
Two lavs for 153 people.

canadiancow and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 6:39 pm

AC is using the 737 for non-stop YUL-Dub.?
Old Jul 15, 2018, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Genetk44

And (I think from YYZ) to Shannon and Keflavik.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
And (I think from YYZ) to Shannon and Keflavik.
damn....talk about a throwback to the 1960s!!!!!! Without the actual quality of 1960s cabin service!,,,
Old Jul 15, 2018, 10:05 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
The entire airplane is a throwback to the 1960s.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
The entire airplane is a throwback to the 1960s.
not really if what is being reported here about the size of bathrooms,galleys,legroom and the new seats is accurate. At least 1960s seats,legroom,and bathrooms would be an actual improvement over today’s offerings.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 8:59 am

Programs: air miles
Im just a regular average joe FOTTC , not a MM'er but i cant imagine any flight over 5hrs being very comfortable on any version of the 737.

(FOTTC=Fly Once To The Caribbean)
Old Jul 16, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy1978
Im just a regular average joe FOTTC , not a MM'er but i cant imagine any flight over 5hrs being very comfortable on any version of the 737.

(FOTTC=Fly Once To The Caribbean)
Well, there is B737-700BBJ. ANA used to have them flying mid-haul (NRT-DEL) routes.

But yeah on AC's 737 that's a different story.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 10:44 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy1978
... i cant imagine any flight over 5hrs being very comfortable on any version of the 737.
My butt was hurting after my YUL-YVR 'Max' flight in the J cabin last week. I can't imagine what it must be like back in Cattle class. Ugh.

I only took that flight because, after a long day that started in CDG, I wasn't willing to book a connection a couple hours later on a nicer plane.

Last edited by Bohemian1; Jul 16, 2018 at 10:45 am Reason: Monday spellings
Old Jul 16, 2018, 1:08 pm

Programs: Back of the bus
When I think about having to sit in a 737 for 5 or 6 hours (even to the carribean), I always think about the fact that it could be worse... I could be stuck at a cubicle working instead of going and sitting on a beach.

Or like my 1400km drive last week, i could be stuck in a car days vs flying.

Plane gets us from point A to point B. Want more space? Buy a motorhome or a big SUV and drive.
tcook052 likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 1:27 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
Originally Posted by Genetk44

They've even subbed one on LHR-YYZ once (a few weeks back).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.