Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Jan 18 2021 TC issues Airworthiness Directive for the 737 MAX
Link to post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32976892-post4096.html

Cabin photos

Post 976 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29534462-post976.html
Post 1300 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29780203-post1300.html

Cabin Layout

Interior Specs can be found here https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet.html

- Window seats may feel narrower to come as the armrests are placed "into" the "curvature" of the cabin.
- Seats with no windows feel even more narrower as there is no space created by the curvature of window.
- All bulkhead seats have very limited legroom.
- Seats 15A, 16A, 16F, 17A and 17F have limited windows.
- Exit rows 19 and 20 have more legroom than regular preferred seats.

Routes

The 737 MAX is designated to replace the A320-series. Based on announcements and schedule updates, the following specific routes will be operated by the 737 MAX in future:

YYZ-LAX (periodic flights)
YYZ-SNN (new route)
YUL-DUB (new route)
YYZ/YUL-KEF (replacing Rouge A319)
YYT-LHR (replacing Mainline A319)
YHZ-LHR (replacing Mainline B767)
Hawaii Routes YVR/YYC (replacing Rouge B767)
Many domestic trunk routes (YYZ, YVR, YUL, YYC) now operated by 7M8, replacing A320 family
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2018, 8:33 am

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Diamond, VIA Premier, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Why can't anyone understand how to put their bag in.

It's ridiculous that I'm in row 1 and my bag is above row 3. I didn't even board that late.

The sign is pretty clear.
Originally Posted by 24left
Many people lack situational awareness. Put these people on a plane and it applies to everything from how to board, how to place carry-ons, how to take seats so others behind in line can board and so on. Cooleddie and I posted photos of bags in the 78M OH bins from our flights. Despite the signs, people did what they wanted.
I agree with 24L but I think it is also part habit or routine. Pax are used to not being able to stow their rollaway bags sideways (it works on some aircrafts but not all). I'm sure people will get used to it eventually as more aircrafts with huge OH bins like the 7M8 are being built.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 8:44 am
Suspended

Programs: AC
Customer education is incredibly incredibly difficult and unfathomably expensive.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 9:54 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver

It's ridiculous that I'm in row 1 and my bag is above row 3. I didn't even board that late.

The sign is pretty clear.
A lot of people just aren't that bright. Also, plenty of FOTSGs around.

But it's not all the fault of FOTSGs. After all, SDs usually seem to have no clue how to load bags in the new bag closet on the CR9s. I've had them tell me several times that they were full when they were just poorly loaded and, after I reorganized them, not only was there room for my bag, but several others as well. So it doesn't surprise me that FOTSGs and even some FFs can't figure it out.

I have no qualms about moving things around to create space, so I would say that to some extent, your bag being two rows away is on you.

Although I will also note that the FAs on the US carriers generally get involved in making sure bags are placed properly, whereas AC's rarely seem seem to.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
I had my first 7M8 flight last week. There was another flight 30 minutes earlier on the better-legroom A320, but I wanted to check out the new aircraft and I hoped boarding would be less painful with the bigger bins.

Nope! Every. Single. Bag. was laid horizontally in the bins, boarding took 45 minutes as per usual and scheduled gate departure time had passed when FAs starting roaming the aisles trying to rearrange things.

Old Jun 23, 2018, 11:14 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by eigenvector
..... scheduled gate departure time had passed when FAs starting roaming the aisles trying to rearrange things.

AC FAs roaming the aisles? LMAO. I was sure that I or someone else had previously suggested that the FAs make an announcement like they've done on my AA flights, instructing pax how to place their carry-ons in the bins, followed by their FAs going bin-to-bin arranging those bags stored the wrong way.

Or AC could hand out a page of simple instructions, with images because no one likes to read. Clearly no one sees the sticker showing how to store bags that is on the inside of the bin.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

with images because no one likes to read.
Aren't you being too nice?
Old Jun 23, 2018, 11:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Stranger
Aren't you being too nice?
LOL. About people not wanting to read things? About roaming FAs?
This is a public forum you know, we can't post what we really think. Oh wait.....
Old Jun 23, 2018, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LOL. About people not wanting to read things? About roaming FAs?
This is a public forum you know, we can't post what we really think. Oh wait.....
Not wanting to, not liking to? Or just not parsing? (To be charitable...)
Old Jun 23, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
AC FAs roaming the aisles? LMAO. I was sure that I or someone else had previously suggested that the FAs make an announcement like they've done on my AA flights, instructing pax how to place their carry-ons in the bins, followed by their FAs going bin-to-bin arranging those bags stored the wrong way.

Or AC could hand out a page of simple instructions, with images because no one likes to read. Clearly no one sees the sticker showing how to store bags that is on the inside of the bin.
The problem with all of these is most passengers don't know it is a 737-Max with special bins vrs an other type of aircraft with smaller bins.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Fiordland
The problem with all of these is most passengers don't know it is a 737-Max with special bins vrs an other type of aircraft with smaller bins.
Many people still think AC has First Class.

My point was that AC FAs stand at the doorway greeting pax as they board. Forget Hello/Bonjour for a minute, just repeat 243 times, give or take, "please place you carry-ons wheels-first sideways in the bin"

Oh wait, the universe has different interpretations of what "sideways" looks like.

Well, hand out a sheet of paper with the correct image. "Please place your carry-ons in the bins as per these instructions." If AA FAs can advise pax what to do when boarding, why can't AC FAs? Also, on my one and only 7M8 flight, a FA did walk through the cabin adjusting a couple of the bags to make room.

There are any number of solutions to modify behaviour. There is no excuse that education of the features of the new aircraft can't be done, at least for 6-12 months.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 3:45 pm
Suspended

Many people still think AC has First Class.

My point was that AC FAs stand at the doorway greeting pax as they board. Forget Hello/Bonjour for a minute, just repeat 243 times, give or take, "please place you carry-ons wheels-first sideways in the bin"

Oh wait, the universe has different interpretations of what "sideways" looks like.

Well, hand out a sheet of paper with the correct image. "Please place your carry-ons in the bins as per these instructions." If AA FAs can advise pax what to do when boarding, why can't AC FAs? Also, on my one and only 7M8 flight, a FA did walk through the cabin adjusting a couple of the bags to make room.

There are any number of solutions to modify behaviour. There is no excuse that education of the features of the new aircraft can't be done, at least for 6-12 months.
They should just announce that bags should be stored sideways at the gate.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 4:49 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
If AA FAs can advise pax what to do when boarding, why can't AC FAs?

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
UA routinely has that kind of announcement on a loop while boarding, on their non-midget A/C, at least, and I've heard it in UA gate areas as well, I believe.

It isn't that hard. If you care.
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 7:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
A lot of people just aren't that bright. Also, plenty of FOTSGs around.
My forgot had 4 paid J and 5 opups.

I don't know exactly who the opups were, but given that a *G tried to talk his way into J, I'm confident saying they all had some level of *A status.

So none of the people I had an issue with were FOTSG. Unless, of course, they were all nominees of a FF.

Even after I put my bag in the right way, no one else did.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 8:02 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Club Accor Gold
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
A lot of people don't listen to annoucements. I've seen them ignore gate change annoucements and requests to see the gate agent; and we've all seen them pay no attention to zoned boarding annoucements, instructions to prepare for landing, instructions to put their phones on airplane mode, and instructions to stay seated because of turbulence.

They could announce it until the cows come home (hi, CanadianCow!) and get maybe a handful of passengers to modify their behaviour.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 8:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by islandcub1
A lot of people don't listen to annoucements. I've seen them ignore gate change annoucements and requests to see the gate agent; and we've all seen them pay no attention to zoned boarding annoucements, instructions to prepare for landing, instructions to put their phones on airplane mode, and instructions to stay seated because of turbulence.

They could announce it until the cows come home (hi, CanadianCow!) and get maybe a handful of passengers to modify their behaviour.
It's a better shot at changing the status quo. Continuing to act the same way and expecting a different outcome is the definition of insanity after all.

It's worth a shot is what I am suggesting.

Last edited by longtimeflyin; Jun 23, 2018 at 8:34 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.