Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Jan 18 2021 TC issues Airworthiness Directive for the 737 MAX
Link to post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32976892-post4096.html

Cabin photos

Post 976 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29534462-post976.html
Post 1300 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29780203-post1300.html

Cabin Layout

Interior Specs can be found here https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet.html

- Window seats may feel narrower to come as the armrests are placed "into" the "curvature" of the cabin.
- Seats with no windows feel even more narrower as there is no space created by the curvature of window.
- All bulkhead seats have very limited legroom.
- Seats 15A, 16A, 16F, 17A and 17F have limited windows.
- Exit rows 19 and 20 have more legroom than regular preferred seats.

Routes

The 737 MAX is designated to replace the A320-series. Based on announcements and schedule updates, the following specific routes will be operated by the 737 MAX in future:

YYZ-LAX (periodic flights)
YYZ-SNN (new route)
YUL-DUB (new route)
YYZ/YUL-KEF (replacing Rouge A319)
YYT-LHR (replacing Mainline A319)
YHZ-LHR (replacing Mainline B767)
Hawaii Routes YVR/YYC (replacing Rouge B767)
Many domestic trunk routes (YYZ, YVR, YUL, YYC) now operated by 7M8, replacing A320 family
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Old Mar 14, 2018, 9:58 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by The Lev
Looks like I'll be making a booking to travle on my first 7M8 flight in a few weeks.

There has been a bunch of commentary here on the J seats and a bit on Y in general, looking for more specific advice in terms of preferred Y seats and which to choose:
  1. Bulkhead (row 12)
  2. First exit row (row 19)
  3. Second Exit row (row 20)
  4. Standard preferred rows (the other ones)

Based on flying 737-800's with other airlines, I'm inclined to book an aisle in row 20, but open to advice from people who have sampled the preferred offerings.

Thanks.
I was in row 18 on my first 7M8 flight and scheduled to be in row 15 on my next one. They all look pretty standard, although I'm inclined to avoid row 12 because I suspect the hard bulkhead will limit legroom. Again, that's a total assumption on my part. Another assumption is that row 19 has limited or no recline since there's an emergency exit row behind it.

As it stands, I'll consider sitting in 13-18 or 20 until we get more reports here that 12 and 19 are ok.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 10:32 pm

Programs: AC 50K (*G), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
As per AC.com starting April 1st 2018, AC860 and AC861 YHZ-LHR-YHZ is to be operated by the 737Max. The J cabin is being sold as Premium Economy which makes sense as it is similar to that product on international flights. No more pods or widebody flights on AC into YHZ
Old Mar 14, 2018, 11:59 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K | Latitude Flight Pass junkie
Originally Posted by YHZ_Flyer
As per AC.com starting April 1st 2018, AC860 and AC861 YHZ-LHR-YHZ is to be operated by the 737Max. The J cabin is being sold as Premium Economy which makes sense as it is similar to that product on international flights. No more pods or widebody flights on AC into YHZ
interesting that they are selling business on the 737Max-8 from YVR-HNL.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 1:00 am

Programs: AC 75K (*G), NEXUS
Originally Posted by YVR72

That's because it's still "within North America" hence the domestic J product offered.

It's worth noting that YYT-LHR on the 319 is still selling "Buisness" class, but when it switches to the 7M8 later in the summer, only Premium Economy is offered when the 319 and 7M8 have fundamentally the same forward cabin.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 1:02 am

Programs: AC 75K (*G), NEXUS
A family member's LHR-YHZ flight on April 4th is still showing as 763 on the AC app and website
Old Mar 15, 2018, 5:55 am

Programs: AC SE
As per AC.com starting April 1st 2018, AC860 and AC861 YHZ-LHR-YHZ is to be operated by the 737Max. The J cabin is being sold as Premium Economy which makes sense as it is similar to that product on international flights.
Originally Posted by YVR72
Originally Posted by marke190
That's because it's still "within North America" hence the domestic J product offered.

It's worth noting that YYT-LHR on the 319 is still selling "Buisness" class, but when it switches to the 7M8 later in the summer, only Premium Economy is offered when the 319 and 7M8 have fundamentally the same forward cabin.
Yep, this will be consistent with the way the Premium Rouge cabin is marketed as well. International travelers in business class can expect a pod and won't end up being disappointed to sit in a domestic J/PY seat. Honesty and transparency are always good. Nice move by AC.
Fiordland likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
I wonder where all the lobsters that go from YHZ to LHR will fit.
Glad that at least AC is being honest about labeling the product as PE.

A family member's LHR-YHZ flight on April 4th is still showing as 763 on the AC app and website
If they bought a J ticket and it gets downgraded to a 7M8, I hope AC offers some sort of compensation.
pitz and marke190 like this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: AC E50K (MM) FB (Platinum)
I had a Business class Aeroplan Reward ticket on AC861 LHR-YHZ for travel in late August. The schedule change e-mail from AC received yesterday simply showed me as travelling in PE. Aeroplan (I dealt with two very helpful, efficient agents BTW) were able to rebook me into J via YYZ BUT only into available business reward space. The availability fortunately suited me, but BIZ reward space YYZ-YHZ was extremely tight. Apparently AC has not (yet?) authorized opening up J space for such rebooking. How that would apply to revenue bookings I cannot, of course, say.

I also notice that YUL-DUB, which was previously selling J in the front cabin of the 737 MAX 8, is now also showing PE for that cabin. Wonder how many folks that will have effected.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: AC 50K (*G), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
very weird. So I’m seeing the YHZ-LHR flight as a 737Max on April 4th, but as you said the return flight is still a 763. I’m assuming the schedule just hasn’t been fully updated yet. Seems odd that they would want higher capacity flying the return than the outbound. All that lobster and cargo is heading to Europe.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 5:53 pm

very weird. So I’m seeing the YHZ-LHR flight as a 737Max on April 4th, but as you said the return flight is still a 763. I’m assuming the schedule just hasn’t been fully updated yet. Seems odd that they would want higher capacity flying the return than the outbound. All that lobster and cargo is heading to Europe.
The outbound YHZ-LHR on the 3rd is a 763, so having it return on the 4th makes sense.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 9:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Stanbury
I had a Business class Aeroplan Reward ticket on AC861 LHR-YHZ for travel in late August. The schedule change e-mail from AC received yesterday simply showed me as travelling in PE. Aeroplan (I dealt with two very helpful, efficient agents BTW) were able to rebook me into J via YYZ BUT only into available business reward space. The availability fortunately suited me, but BIZ reward space YYZ-YHZ was extremely tight. Apparently AC has not (yet?) authorized opening up J space for such rebooking. How that would apply to revenue bookings I cannot, of course, say.
First of all, while I space may be minimal, I suspect that P space is wide open on most flights, so revenue passengers wouldn't even encounter a situation where there are no flights with the same fare class.

Second, I suspect they'd be booked into any positive space.

Last edited by canadiancow; Mar 15, 2018 at 9:46 pm
Old Mar 15, 2018, 9:38 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by The Lev
I wonder where all the lobsters that go from YHZ to LHR will fit.
Glad that at least AC is being honest about labeling the product as PE.

If they bought a J ticket and it gets downgraded to a 7M8, I hope AC offers some sort of compensation.
Originally Posted by Stanbury

I also notice that YUL-DUB, which was previously selling J in the front cabin of the 737 MAX 8, is now also showing PE for that cabin. Wonder how many folks that will have effected.
I was told by someone at AC that passengers will be offered the option of:
  • Flying in PY and receiving a refund (if applicable) for the fare difference to J
  • Re-book in J on another flight(s) (with same origin and destination), with no change fee or fare difference
  • Cancel and full refund
Old Mar 15, 2018, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I was told by someone at AC that passengers will be offered the option of:
  • Flying in PY and receiving a refund (if applicable) for the fare difference to J
  • Re-book in J on another flight(s) (with same origin and destination), with no change fee or fare difference
  • Cancel and full refund
Which looks like precisely what applicable tariffs would provide for.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 10:25 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Lulz on 7562. :p

Some guy (probably and FTer) is sitting next to a 737 pilot and asking all sorts of questions about the plane, includong what happened to FIN 505 (has been in YLW since Monday), the pilot has been exhibiting to utmost patience and professionalism while humoring the pax. ^
Old Mar 15, 2018, 10:35 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by jaysona
Some guy (probably and FTer) is sitting next to a 737 pilot and asking all sorts of questions about the plane, includong what happened to FIN 505 (has been in YLW since Monday), the pilot has been exhibiting to utmost patience and professionalism while humoring the pax. ^
Do you suppose 505 is getting the WiFi treatment?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.