Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Jan 18 2021 TC issues Airworthiness Directive for the 737 MAX
Link to post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32976892-post4096.html

Cabin photos

Post 976 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29534462-post976.html
Post 1300 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29780203-post1300.html

Cabin Layout

Interior Specs can be found here https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet.html

- Window seats may feel narrower to come as the armrests are placed "into" the "curvature" of the cabin.
- Seats with no windows feel even more narrower as there is no space created by the curvature of window.
- All bulkhead seats have very limited legroom.
- Seats 15A, 16A, 16F, 17A and 17F have limited windows.
- Exit rows 19 and 20 have more legroom than regular preferred seats.

Routes

The 737 MAX is designated to replace the A320-series. Based on announcements and schedule updates, the following specific routes will be operated by the 737 MAX in future:

YYZ-LAX (periodic flights)
YYZ-SNN (new route)
YUL-DUB (new route)
YYZ/YUL-KEF (replacing Rouge A319)
YYT-LHR (replacing Mainline A319)
YHZ-LHR (replacing Mainline B767)
Hawaii Routes YVR/YYC (replacing Rouge B767)
Many domestic trunk routes (YYZ, YVR, YUL, YYC) now operated by 7M8, replacing A320 family
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2018, 8:14 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Well that might answer some questions as to why the brand new airplane operating as flight 308 was delayed out of YVR last night (AC stated "maintenance issues" when requesting a noise deviation).

But I find the sure-fire way to correct bad behaviour is to online scold and call people losers. That Grade 6 playground approach is likely to solve the problem, fo' sho'. My questions include: are you materially affected by the issue? Why do you see fit to act as safety card police? Might there be a more adult and constructive way to persuade people to stop this behaviour?
Interesting that your focus is the way I wrote the message vs the actual issue at hand - which is people acting selfishly and affecting others.

Yes, I do consider any individual to be a loser when that individual engages in selfish behaviour with no regard for others and where such behaviour has an immediate and meterial impact on others.

I am probably the most selfish person anyone will encounter, but I also try to make sure my selfish behaviours do not adversely affect other people.

As for being materially affected - every single Air Canada flyer ends being materially affected, as these delays incur addition costs to the airline - costs that end up being passed on to us in terms of higher fares, and I personally know three people that were affected due to the removal of the safety cards. Now I know the impact of the 7M8 safety card issue will be negligible in terms of fares across the board, but all of these little things added over time can end up being noticeable.

I never claimed to be safety card police - not sure how you're reading that from my post - but then you tend to come up with odd responses to my posts - for reasons I have yet to fully understand.........but whatevs.....this is FT, it's not like anything posted here is all that important or of any life significance.......

Originally Posted by SKYEG
Managed to snag YUL-YYZ in three weeks in J

Reposition flight? was surprised when I saw it available.

Haven't been this excited for a domestic flight in years
There are several Rapidair turns almost every day during the month of January, I have been on a couple already, and have a couple of more flights this week through the weekend.
Originally Posted by expert7700
I blame AC for not having 150-300% of the needed safefy cards onboard.

AVgeeks fly, pay a ton extra to fly, and sometimes in the excitement 'accidentally' take a safety card. Sadly, some end up with multiples in order to post on ebay.

I flew on Southwest's first 737max flight and they had 200 extra safety cards because they knew many would go missing.
Well, that makes sense, for those of us that have had the displeasure of flying Southworst we know the type of class (lack thereof really) of person that typically flies that airline. I guess AC's only fault is not realizing they would attract a similar class of individual as part of their race to the bottom.......

Originally Posted by airbus320
Safety cards are not part of the minimum equipment list......but life vests are.....
Safety card are, they are considered safety equipment and have an associated part number.

Originally Posted by expert7700
the real ? in my mind is how did AC notice any missing safety cards.

Was it during their (ahem) Deep Cleaning? And why can't they just MEL that seat or row of seats, similar to what they are allowed to do if a seat back does not move to a non reclined position or if a seat belt is in-op.

I believe they could have legally departed, unless someone went row to row stealing every safety card.

//Or, perhaps what really happened is that AC forgot safety cards or loaded cards for a different equipment brand by mistake. The 787max entered service what Dec 11? seems about the right time span for someone to notice a blunder like this.
AC crew do perform cabin security checks before each flight which is one of the reasons crew board the aircraft ~45 minutes before departure.

Originally Posted by Fiordland
Can't they just take a safety card over to a Xerox machine and make one or two more copies.
No, photocopying the cards for use in the cabin in lieu of the official card is not permitted due to the cards being considered safety equipment, having a unique part number, part number is associated to material type, etc, etc, etc.

Last edited by tcook052; Jan 4, 2018 at 1:49 am Reason: merge multiple posts
Old Jan 2, 2018, 8:32 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Morons. Losers. (to appropriate Calgary & Montreal slang)
Thank you, good sir, for patrolling this thread to keep it free of opinions you deem unnecessary or incorrect. Good to know who stands on guard for the sanctity of this forum.

Like the two gentlemen before you, venting any frustrations on a public forum by typing jejune aspersions is likely not the best suggested solution. Chances are slim the offending parties are reading this, nor care two whits, so I wonder what you're all hoping to achieve with the shaming tactics?
Not only do I concur with ridefar and songsc, I would go so far as to bet that at least one active poster on AC FT has stolen one of these cards. And that many more have taken something similar at some point. All without any thought as to the effect it might have on others.
jaysona likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 8:33 pm

Do we even know for sure that missing safety cards was the reason for the delay?
When it comes to the flight Pleblond missed, yes, as a friend of mine was operating the YVR-YUL redeye and spent a good fifteen minutes b**ching via text about the delay due to "asshat pax" that took a bunch of safety cards causing delays and scrambling at YVR to find more 7M8 safety cards - it's not like there were a lot of spare cards to go around at the time.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 9:28 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K | Latitude Flight Pass junkie
Looks like three flights a day each between TORONTO and LAX and SFO on the 737Max-8 starting this summer.

Last edited by YVR72; Feb 7, 2018 at 4:35 pm Reason: because I was ridiculed for calling them 73M :-)
Old Jan 2, 2018, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by YVR72
Looks like three flights a day each between TORONTO and LAX and SFO on the 73M starting this summer.
Air Canada still flies the 737-200 combis?
smallmj likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 9:52 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by YVR72
Looks like three flights a day each between TORONTO and LAX and SFO on the 73M starting this summer.
RIP cow
Old Jan 2, 2018, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jaysona
Air Canada still flies the 737-200 combis?
Was there ever such a thing anyway?
Old Jan 2, 2018, 10:56 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Stranger
I think there was. Many years ago (90s?) Air Canada owned a regional called NWT Air that operated into the northern territories. I believe it was the only part of Air Canada to operate the 737-200 and the 737-200 combi. Fairly certain it ended up being sold off and merged with someone else. First Air maybe?
Old Jan 3, 2018, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Ok, I am confused now, so I am asking for my own interest and not to nitpick. I was under the impression that the planes were to be sent to the USA for the WiFi installation. I was looking at a press release and it said that the first 2 aircraft are to be sent to KF Aerospace, which you probably know as Kelowna Flightcraft.
Air Canada’s first Boeing 737 MAX 8 (C-FTJV ) received its Canadian registration on Oct. 31, and was then delivered to Kelowna Airport, B.C., for pre-delivery modifications. Wi-Fi installation will also take place in Kelowna.
If I go to the website of the contractor, I don't see any mention of WiFi capabilities. What gives? (Not doubting KFA's capabilities either.)

Signed,
Dazzled & Confused and not in SEA
I suspect the Wi-Fi STC work falls under Avionics for KF, so I am not surprised about the lack of specific mention for Wi-Fi work and capabilities. The Wi-Fi design and certification work I did was classified officially as "secondary avionics" systems.

Originally Posted by upgradesecret
Just like everyone here considers the MAX line of 737's to be new and different the certification authority considers it a completely new airplane.
Westjet had a couple of airframes grounded in the Southeastern US while the certification people fumbled and farted around because the wifi had never been done on a Canadian airplane before.
Uhm......this I find kind of surprising. Do you have any links for this? Since the WS aircraft are Canadian registered, TCCA is the official signatory, even if a US AMO holds the STC, TCCA will need to approve the work and approve the RTS of the modified aircraft. So I am confused at to why the FAA would ground a Canadian registered aircraft that had Wi-Fi equipment installed

I'm not dismissing the notion outright, but since I continue to work of related STC projects, I am curious about this.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 12:37 pm

Brief 7M8 J cabin review.

I have had the chance to fly the 7M8 a few times over the past couple of weeks, and these are my thoughts/impressions thus far.

I like the leg room in J, it is greater than the legroom in the narrow-body Airbus J cabin.

I find the seats in the 7M8 are not as comfortable as the Airbus seats, the 7M8 seats seem to have an air bladder instead of a fabric cushion. Whatever the case is, I prefer the seat cushion of the Airbus seats. The seat-back pocket is much smaller on the 7M8 seats compared to the seat-back pockets in the Airbus narrow-body aircraft. Forget about storing a thin laptop such as a MacBook Air in the 7M8 seat-back pocket - you'll be lucky to get an iPad in there. :-\

The tray table is smaller, it is a folding tray table and sits higher than the Airbus J tray table. This higher tray table makes using a laptop for an extended period of time quite uncomfortable.

There is one USB charging port in the underside of the seat-back monitor as well as an audio jack, I found using those ports to be a problem as any kind of seat shifting resulted in the cables be pulled and unplugged. On the plus side, there is an additional USB charging outlet and headphone jack in the center console storage compartment, there an international plug power outlet located in the center console storage compartment as well.

So overall I prefer the Airbus J cabin and seats, but I think I can get used to the new and narrower seats of the 7M8, I have no issues doing a redeye on the A320 series, but I think it would be tougher to sleep on the 7M8 - at least until I get used to it.

Additional edit:
During a cockpit visit I was kind of dissapointed at just how cramped the cockpit was, and was hoping Boeing would have given a little more office space for the folks up front - riding jumpseat is not going to be fun at all. I forgot just how old the 737 design is - I guess I have become too accustomed to working in a modern cockpit.

The cabin entrance is kind of narrow due to the forward cabin monuments.

J cabin seating.

J cabin seating - side view.

J cabin seating - seat-back & seat-back storage.

J cabin seating - legroom.

J cabin seating - center console storage, power and audio outlets.

J cabin tray table - full extend

J cabin tray table - folded.

Last edited by jaysona; Jan 3, 2018 at 7:56 pm Reason: Added cockpit comment.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: AC SEMM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Fiordland
I think there was. Many years ago (90s?) Air Canada owned a regional called NWT Air that operated into the northern territories. I believe it was the only part of Air Canada to operate the 737-200 and the 737-200 combi. Fairly certain it ended up being sold off and merged with someone else. First Air maybe?
Canadian North (5T) still operates two 737-200 combis and are the only operator with two 737-300 aircraft converted into combi.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Stranger
From 2000-2004 AC B737 models were
-217/217ER/242C/275/275C/296/2L9ER/2T7
Old Jan 3, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Interesting that your focus is the way I wrote the message vs the actual issue at hand - which is people acting selfishly and affecting others.

Yes, I do consider any individual to be a loser when that individual engages in selfish behaviour with no regard for others and where such behaviour has an immediate and meterial impact on others.
We agree that lifting safety cards to sell on eBay is not commendable behaviour. We may not always like what some people do. Please, for the sake of the rest of us, please stop name calling and passing unsolicited judgements onto others you have never met, and without the benefit of actual firsthand knowledge of the situation. It just makes it unpleasant for the rest of us.

Passing on haughty judgement has become a trademark of your posts, to be honest:
Well, that makes sense, for those of us that have had the displeasure of flying Southworst we know the type of class (lack thereof really) of person that typically flies that airline.
I am probably the most selfish person anyone will encounter, but I also try to make sure my selfish behaviours do not adversely affect other people.
Isn't this the definition of being selfish?

I never claimed to be safety card police - not sure how you're reading that from my post - but then you tend to come up with odd responses to my posts - for reasons I have yet to fully understand.
Admittedly, that was my term, but you were indeed the person who took the greatest offence to an alleged act that in no way affects you personally or materially. If AC has an issue with missing items taken by passengers, let's allow them to address it.

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Thank you, good sir, for patrolling this thread to keep it free of opinions you deem unnecessary or incorrect. Good to know who stands on guard for the sanctity of this forum.
I will never take offence to opinions with which I disagree. But maybe try to outline them without joining the chorus of name-calling. Please.

Clever post by the way. Never seen that before, is it an original thought?
Old Jan 3, 2018, 6:02 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Passing on haughty judgement has become a trademark of your posts...
You saved me from having to write a response to your post. Thanks for that.

Maybe be we can get back to talking about the 7M8.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by ffsim

Maybe be we can get back to talking about the 7M8.
How dare you suggest spoiling the fun!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.