Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Jan 18 2021 TC issues Airworthiness Directive for the 737 MAX
Link to post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32976892-post4096.html

Cabin photos

Post 976 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29534462-post976.html
Post 1300 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29780203-post1300.html

Cabin Layout

Interior Specs can be found here https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet.html

- Window seats may feel narrower to come as the armrests are placed "into" the "curvature" of the cabin.
- Seats with no windows feel even more narrower as there is no space created by the curvature of window.
- All bulkhead seats have very limited legroom.
- Seats 15A, 16A, 16F, 17A and 17F have limited windows.
- Exit rows 19 and 20 have more legroom than regular preferred seats.

Routes

The 737 MAX is designated to replace the A320-series. Based on announcements and schedule updates, the following specific routes will be operated by the 737 MAX in future:

YYZ-LAX (periodic flights)
YYZ-SNN (new route)
YUL-DUB (new route)
YYZ/YUL-KEF (replacing Rouge A319)
YYT-LHR (replacing Mainline A319)
YHZ-LHR (replacing Mainline B767)
Hawaii Routes YVR/YYC (replacing Rouge B767)
Many domestic trunk routes (YYZ, YVR, YUL, YYC) now operated by 7M8, replacing A320 family
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by After Burner

BTW, the 787 has higher cabin pressure, not lower.
Higher cabin pressure, lower cabin altitude.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I think your figure is high by a long shot, but regardless, you're looking at it from the perspective of what's convenient for the airline. I don't think DL, UA or AA would introduce a new aircraft, let alone a new type, without having WiFi installed or operational because customers expect to have WiFi.

Apparently at AC, convenience for AC outweighs serving the customer.
8 weeks is the estimate. That's mainly because it's the first one and they'll have Transport Canada looking over their shoulders. They might be able to do an aircraft in under a week after that. After the delivery rate is ramped up (I think 3 per month) they probably will get the WiFi installed before going into service because there won't be enough trained pilots.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by Stranger
Higher cabin pressure, lower cabin altitude.
Yes, "cabin altitude" is the standard terminology.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 4:35 pm

Programs: AC-E50K / WS-P / Hyatt-G
Look what just pulled in at YUL...

Gate 1 has some bunting and gifts for the first passengers out of YUL.

I am flying this new metal tomorrow to YVR in J and will share comments after that flight!
Old Dec 11, 2017, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I think your figure is high by a long shot, but regardless, you're looking at it from the perspective of what's convenient for the airline. I don't think DL, UA or AA would introduce a new aircraft, let alone a new type, without having WiFi installed or operational because customers expect to have WiFi.

Apparently at AC, convenience for AC outweighs serving the customer.
UA took delivery of its 788s without wifi even as it was rolling wifi out on other aircraft in its ex-UA fleet (most CO planes had it). The problem was said to be problems with retrofitting the carbon composite skin. This material can't be cut into the same way metal can, so wifi had to be factory installed and the early aircraft on the 788 assembly line were not ordered with wifi.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:35 pm

Programs: AC 75K (*G), NEXUS
This begs the question, why didn't AC just order these aircraft with factory-installed wifi? Or is that not offered with the 737Max?
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:34 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
I'm curious to see if the 7M8 has the same cabin pressure as the 789. That's one of the things I wanted to try on a Dreamliner - does the lower cabin pressure and higher humidity make a difference in how you feel? Will we see that on the 7M8?
The 737 Max has the same metal tube as the 737NG, so no change in cabin pressure or humidity levels. The Max is a minor upgrade airframe and cabin wise. The main physical upgrdes are motors, minor wing changes to support a larger MLG, new AT winglets and upgrdes to the glass cockpit from CRT to LCD, aside from that, it's essentially the same decades old design.

Originally Posted by marke190
This begs the question, why didn't AC just order these aircraft with factory-installed wifi? Or is that not offered with the 737Max?
GoGo Wi-Fi is not a line-fit option for the 737Max, so it can only be installed by a STC holder after the airframe comes off the assembly line.

Last edited by jaysona; Jan 3, 2018 at 4:19 am
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:37 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by jaysona
The 737 Max has the same metal tube as the 737NG, so no change in cabin pressure or humidity levels. The Max is a minor upgrade airframe and cabin wise. The main physical upgrdes are motors, minor wing changes to support a larger MLG, new AT winglets and upgrdes to the glass cockpit from CRT to LCD, aside from that, it's essentially the same decades old design.

GoGo Wi-Fi is not a line for option for the 737Max, so it can only be installed by a STC holder after the airframe comes off the assembly line.
Ok, I am confused now, so I am asking for my own interest and not to nitpick. I was under the impression that the planes were to be sent to the USA for the WiFi installation. I was looking at a press release and it said that the first 2 aircraft are to be sent to KF Aerospace, which you probably know as Kelowna Flightcraft.
Air Canada’s first Boeing 737 MAX 8 (C-FTJV ) received its Canadian registration on Oct. 31, and was then delivered to Kelowna Airport, B.C., for pre-delivery modifications. Wi-Fi installation will also take place in Kelowna.
If I go to the website of the contractor, I don't see any mention of WiFi capabilities. What gives? (Not doubting KFA's capabilities either.)

Signed,
Dazzled & Confused and not in SEA
Old Dec 11, 2017, 11:50 pm

Just like everyone here considers the MAX line of 737's to be new and different the certification authority considers it a completely new airplane.
Westjet had a couple of airframes grounded in the Southeastern US while the certification people fumbled and farted around because the wifi had never been done on a Canadian airplane before.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 9:33 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by briantoronto
Here is a close up of the J seats. Fabric back with a leather seat by the looks of it.

Attachment 43188
ugh thin-line seats in business class.
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 10:10 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by flybit
I was on thick, comfy AC business seats yesterday when I noticed a photo like yours of the AC737max. I can't help thinking there might not much to differentiate the 737max J vs Y seats, besides the double armrest

In the back, AC 737max Y cabin pitch of 30in vs Southwest's 737max of 32in pitch...ouch.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 2:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by flybit
Ugh indeed. On the bright side, no issues with collapsed foam where there isn't much foam to begin with.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 10:57 am

Programs: AC SE
According to an AC ad on FlyerTalk, we've misspelled the name of the manufacturer of the 737 MAX. Perhaps we should ask a mod to correct the typo in the title of the thread (and everywhere on FT!)?

Good job AC marketing team!
canadiancow and gcashin like this.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by jasdou
According to an AC ad on FlyerTalk, we've misspelled the name of the manufacturer of the 737 MAX. Perhaps we should ask a mod to correct the typo in the title of the thread (and everywhere on FT!)?

Good job AC marketing team!
I don't know what Boing is, but I do know that Q*bert goes boing boing.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 11:31 am

Programs: Air Canada - Aeroplan Black, AC - E50K, NEXUS/GE
Like the photo above, saw this at gate 1 on Wednesday. I personally am a fan of the new livery over the toothpaste, but not looking forward to traveling in Y on this bird, if the time comes. No better than the 767 Rouge in back. Except more middle seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.